Quick Boot Camp questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Quick Boot Camp questions

Hey guys, got a couple questions about boot camp before and during;

1. Approximately how soon before I ship out will I get my orders to report to MCRD?

2. Approximately how much will be deducted from my pay over the course of the 13 weeks of boot camp?

I'm just looking for rough ideas on these, obviously it's the military so thing can change drastically in a very short period of time, but any insight is helpful. Thanks!

1. you'll get a glimpse of them the day your recruiter drives you to MEP's, after that the next time you'll see them is when you graduate..if you graduate.

2. does it matter? you'll come out of bootcamp with roughly 2,000 dollars give or take a couple hundred depending on a few things.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to have a copy of my orders at least two weeks before I shipped out to boot camp to slam into my current employer's face, but it looks like I'll just have to skip that part and slap him upside the head with it in words instead.

The pay issue matters a bit as my wife and I are trying to arrange financing for her while I'm in training. We were trying to estimate how much I'd have in that account at the end of boot camp, and I was guessing that overall expenses during my time at MCRD would be about $1400 on the high end. Sounds like I was in the right ballpark. Thanks again.

I think the pay gets a little screwy while you to through Boot,MCT and MOS school, I remember everyones pay being different,. So if you get a HUGE check hold on to it. They do get it squared away though. Good luck!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    to slam into my current employer's face, but it looks like I'll just have to skip that part and slap him upside the head with it in words instead.
    Choose your words and physical actions carefully or he may have the last laugh with holding you back by filing a civil action...depending on your words and hand gestures.

Sometimes it is just best to walk away and say nothing than to stoop to a level that you don't want to be at.

If the job sucks and your employer is an azzhole....think about all the times for your enlistment contract that you are tempted to speak your mind....but will bite your lip and go with the flow...because the repercussions in the Marine Corps are real and not perceived.

Don't know your work situation...but if there is a clash or conflict of interest or personalities.....you may have that daily in the Marine Corps because it is a very diverse organization with a bunch of blended personalities and backgrounds.

You don't need to like someone in order to work side by side with them and complete your mission.

Also if you decide not to make the Marine Corps a career and you get out after your hitch is up you may need to use that firm as a reference in addition to your military training.

Depending on your MOS and if you need a clearance the government will go back and talk to that employer....do not leave with something you may regret in the future.

Leave in good standing.....it will also show you to be the bigger of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by cellistcs View Post

1. Approximately how soon before I ship out will I get my orders to report to MCRD?

2. Approximately how much will be deducted from my pay over the course of the 13 weeks of boot camp?

I'm just looking for rough ideas on these, obviously it's the military so thing can change drastically in a very short period of time, but any insight is helpful. Thanks!
    I never received orders to report to MCRDPI, my recruiter had me and a couple buddies who shipped the same day show up at the office Sunday, then we either had our parents take us to the hotel or the shuttle. At MEPS after you go through again on the next day depending on how many people are shipping a couple packages with all your vital info that the Island needs to process you. But as for orders I do not believe you receive any until Marine Week, assuming you make it there.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Graduated boot camp with just a little over $2,000.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Phantom Blooper - you're absolutely correct. When I used the words "slap" and "slam" it was meant figuratively, in a professional way. Although, the day that my boss looked across his desk at me and said, "If it wasn't for the fact that you have a kid on the way, I'd've fired you already," was the day that my respect was totally lost for the man. And to clarify, it's going to hurt him mostly because he CAN"T fire me as I'm joining the reserve unit. So, in short, I'm going to slap him with it professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by cellistcs View Post

How about "hey Marines", not hey guys.

We can't tell you exactly how much is going to get decucted from your pay. It also depends if you're going to boot camp as a PFC or not.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    How about "hey Marines", not hey guys.

We can't tell you exactly how much is going to get decucted from your pay. It also depends if you're going to boot camp as a PFC or not.
    Apologies. I realized last night as I hit the "submit" button that I didn't start that post properly.

Quote Originally Posted by mincj View Post
    Whew in our day you were lucky if you made that in a year.

Pay gets pretty screwy in boot camp. I got out with 2400 and one of my buddies got out with over 5 thousand. It depends on a bunch of factors.

Quote Originally Posted by mincj View Post
    Must not have had to buy your plane ticket home then. On graduation I had ~1800 because I spent 450ish bucks to get my ride home. I was making E-2 the entire time. My buddy (ElDiablo) was making E-1 and came out with around 1400-1500 I believe.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nope. I had $1200. Bought the ring, yearbook, and all that. Final bill was only like $200, so not bad.

I had roughly $10500. I spent 4.5 months in boot but the reason for the money is being married, with dependents. (It included my housing allowance).

Thread Information