Second Thoughts
Create Post

Thread: Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts

Hello MARINES. I have been having a struggle within myself for a long time now. I know that serving my country is a good thing, and a respectable thing. My grandpa was a MARINE, and my other grandpa was in the Air Force for over 30 years. So I come from a family of military men. I was in college and left my school after this semester. So technically I have completed 1.5 years of school. Education is important to me, and I believe everyone to strive to become educated. While Education also opens up a lot of doors for someone in their life. So I really want to finish college.

I have talked to a recruiter, and have taken my asvab. I know I havent commited myself to it yet, but Im close. I continue to have second thoughts about this whole thing of joining. Whether, I will like it. Or whether I will ever finish up my degree. I don't know really what to do.

My question to you MARINES is whether you yourselves went through the same mind games I am, when you joined.

I appreciate the time you are taking to answer my question.

Personally, if I were you, I'd just take college classes WHILE in the Marine Corps. It's free, and you're still getting your education while serving. Even if you don't there's the GI bill after you finish your contract. I'd also like to add that certain courses you take as training for the Marines can count for college credits at certain universities and colleges. It's not like being in the military brings your education to a halt.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Fear is temporary. Regret is forever.

CHOOSE!

You have to make the decision for yourself.

Are you willing to give up what you have now and go in the Marine Corps as an enlisted man or are you willing to stick it out for 2.5 more years and have the prospect of being in the officer ranks?

As was stated you can and do have the opportunity to complete your education to a degree and beyond...depending on your time available to pursue that education based on your availability because of your MOS and duty restrictions.

Hundreds upon thousands of Marines got degrees and an education in the Marine Corps.

You have to think long and hard on what YOU want to do with your life.....where you want to be and what YOU want to do.

There are age restrictions on joining the Marine Corps.....so you have time.....but don't be one of the ones who you meet when your fifty saying I WISH when I was in my twenties I made other choices.

Again the ball is in your court...you can take it and run and score the points or you can sit on the sidelines and wish you were in the game!

Odds are I would be going into security forces. Now I dont know whether you could answer this for me or not, but would I have time to take some classes if I went into security forces. Or Would it be better for me to select a different mos to go into, so I could have more time for classes.

Now if I went the officer route, which is also interesting to me. I have a tatoo on my left arm on the bicep, would that be okay in the officer ranks. Its been cleared to go in as a enlisted. Also do officers do 4 year contracts? And tell me if I am wrong here, but officers dont pick their MOS right?

I appreciate the help on Christmas by the way. Shows the class that MARINES have.

If you have the balls step on the yellow footprints, Good Luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Cleveland? Brtter duck, weather headed your way.
    I grew up in Canton, last year of high school, I went 120 delay, so I had 120 days of 2nd thoughts. Wanted out of that town, but was afraid to go. It's all natural.
    In the end, I went, and never regreted.
    I don't know what I'm tryin to say except Decisions, Decisions,,,, Hope you don't regret yours.

Merry Christmas, buckeye.

Im not afraid of Boot Camp. Im in great shape and etc. The only thing is as said before getting that degree is a big thing to me. Probally the biggest thing going for me right now. I really want to serve my country though.

Thanks Sparkie. Im heading down to Columbus so hopefully they wont get any snow that far down in Ohio. Well maybe a little since its Christmas...but not to much.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Did you just answer your own question? Go for the biggest bannana.

Your right sparkie the Marines aint going no where, and come 2 years from now if I still feel strong about joining, then so be it i'll join. With getting a degree being my biggest thing right now. I might as well take that one off my to do list 1st.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can still make a fine USMC Officer some day. Best of sucess to ya.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Odds are I would be going into security forces. Now I don't know whether you could answer this for me or not, but would I have time to take some classes if I went into security forces. Or Would it be better for me to select a different mos to go into, so I could have more time for classes.

Now if I went the officer route, which is also interesting to me. I have a tatoo on my left arm on the bicep, would that be okay in the officer ranks. Its been cleared to go in as a enlisted. Also do officers do 4 year contracts? And tell me if I am wrong here, but officers dont pick their MOS right?

I don't know the answers to these questions myself...however if you use the search button in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine Forum you may find the answer to your questions. The recruiter should be able to point you in the right direction also.

The search button on this site is a good tool as there are hundreds of answers and personal experiences in those forums...however your best bet for answers would be to get it directly from the recruiter

Go see him...don't call.

Thread Information