Do you know the other Poolees at your RSS?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you know the other Poolees at your RSS?

Last week my GySgt made a good point. Two Saturday's ago at a Poolee Scrub, he called me out and told me to name each and every one of the Poolee's and Guests. I only knew one persons name out of about 20 or so people...And I've known him for years now...I'm not good with names, but that shouldn't be any excuse.

So, it kind of gave me a wake up call to start paying attention to who the other Poolee's are. I mean, we always talk to each other and have a fun time while we're there...But I've never actually gotten the chance to know their names. I've been DEP'ed in since July 1st and been going to functions since June. So that's about 6-7 months. Not a good thing!

So how many of your Poolee's at your RSS do you know?

Credits
    Savings
    we PT twice a week every week so everyone knows each other pretty well.

I know almost all names, those I don't I know their nicknames .

We get together once an month. The three people I knew the names of shipped so I dont know anyone. It seems there is a new group every month so I dont really bother anymore. Our RS is REALLY spread out so I live like 2 hours from most of the poolees.

I know about 5-6 people out of the 30 or so. And because new people join and ship all the time, it definitely makes it hard.

But I can say I know every recruiter's name and rank!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Josh are you going to be in the band. I found your photo album interesting. I would love to know more about what you have to go through to be a member. I have heard that you have to do some auditions that are fairly tough and that you do not have to attend boot camp but I dont know if its true. Could you create a thread and enlighten us?

Jim

I know my recruiters poolees, for some reason they tend to be the most outgoing/motivated. I know a couple others but not knowing another poolee doesn't stop anyone from pushing another during workouts or lending a hand, which I think is the most important part.

I know most names of the poolees at my RSS. I don't really know them that well though, there's kind of an age gap between us ( I'm the only one not in high school, and I'm done with college lol), so it's kind of hard to hang out, outside of PT functions, but we're getting kinda close

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    I know most names of the poolees at my RSS. I don't really know them that well though, there's kind of an age gap between us ( I'm the only one not in high school, and I'm done with college lol), so it's kind of hard to hang out, outside of PT functions, but we're getting kinda close
    Indeed, the average age is about 18-19 where im at so I was shocked when I found out one of the recruiters is only a year older than me. I shouldn't have BS'd when I originally wanted to join haha

everyone but the new guys we seem to get every week, and usually I don't know the guests' names.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    Indeed, the average age is about 18-19 where im at so I was shocked when I found out one of the recruiters is only a year older than me. I shouldn't have BS'd when I originally wanted to join haha

lol you have an even larger age barrier. I'm only 22 and it feels like a lifetime since I was 18. I can't imagine how you feel. Killer PT score by the way, get that ankle better

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson View Post
    Josh are you going to be in the band. I found your photo album interesting. I would love to know more about what you have to go through to be a member. I have heard that you have to do some auditions that are fairly tough and that you do not have to attend boot camp but I dont know if its true. Could you create a thread and enlighten us?

Jim
    Yes sir! I auditioned in March this past year with GySgt Pezdek.

I've been playing for about 7 years and my private teacher was actually in a few of the Marine Corps bands for about 8 years. The audition is standard with any other prestigious group -- you have to memorize the 48 natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, major, and chromatic scales, as well as perform a solo piece that is a grade IV (nothing you won't find in a high school repertoire). Also, I sightread a BUNCH of music -- anything ranging from jazz to 6/8 to cut-time to marches to rock. My biggest tip here would just be to not stop playing if you mess up...just keep going as if you played it on purpose.

You have to score a 2.7 to pass...I scored a 2.85, and a 3.0 would be considered college-level. A 4.0 is perfect, but no one ever gets that. The whole audition lasted about 30 minutes.

Because every Marine is a rifleman, even the band members have to go through recruit training, MCT, stay in shape and pass annual rifle qualifications. HOWEVER, musicians in the President's Own Marine Band are the only "Marines" that don't have to go through boot camp. If you look at their rank insignias, they don't have the cross-rifles. The musicians in the President's Own are considered the nation's best musicians and play at a professional level, and concentrate only on making music.

Hope this answered your questions! Thanks for asking!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Back to subject,,,,, I knew 1. He didn't make it back.

I'm the Guide so I'm pretty much required to know.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I've met the other Poolees once, the day after I did MEPS. They are four hours southeast of me now. I remember two last names, Duncan she was a cheerleader so that's probably why I remember , and Williams, the same last name as me which made crap confusing because they only use last names at my RSS.

Thread Information