active duty or reserve?
Create Post

active duty or reserve?

I'm 20 years old and I want to serve my country in the marines. I have a friend who joined the reserves but I was wondering what the major differences between reserves and active duty were. I'm assuming it's more time in country. Does anyone know the specifics?

I wish I was active...

Quote Originally Posted by cjr9968 View Post
    I'm 20 years old and I want to serve my country in the marines - Marines. I have a friend who joined the reserves but I was wondering what the major differences between reserves and active duty were. I'm assuming it's more time in country. Does anyone know the specifics?
    Use the search bar as this topic has been covered many times already.
    ================================================== ===========

Reserve Marines go through the same intense training programs and work in the same occupational fields as their active-duty counterparts. However, with the ability to train part-time at a Marine Corps Reserve unit near home or school, these Marines can continue to pursue
    a full-time civilian career or education.

The Marine Corps Reserve is critical to the Marine Corps’ ability to provide a balanced, ready force.

http://www.marines.com/main/index/ma...arine-reserves

http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/

Reserves in basic, are deployable civilians, other then our once a month drill periods. You can request deployments much faster then if you were in an active unit, but other then that, you don't really do anything else. I would not join the reserves unless you have a non Marine Corps life you want to pursue, i.e., college, or a GOOD paying job (I didn't say work at McDonalds, now did I?). With the job market right now, there is no guarentee to get hired, believe me, I've tried everywhere. I'm not trying for a career based job though, simply for the fact that I want to go to college now and earn a commission. Yes you can request Active-Reserves, which is a MUCH faster way to get on active duty, but, you are still a reservist in the records, thus following their promotion rates, and you also can get switched around to any place at any given time, also last I've heard, they're really only accepting Corporal or above for AR.

Last edited by MLMonk; 12-22-09 at 10:20 PM. Reason: sentance structure

^ Depends on the unit. My unit was looking for a few Marines for AR, didn't matter as far as rank.

To be honest I think AR is the biggest waste of time there is. It's for those guys who don't want to leave there unit but can't stand only coming in once a month. I would go active first and after an enlistment think about what you want from the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by NCOPOWER View Post
    To be honest I think AR is the biggest waste of time there is. It's for those guys who don't want to leave there unit but can't stand only coming in once a month. I would go active first and after an enlistment think about what you want from the Corps.
    You can still go AR and not have your time at your reserve unit. I was thinking about it, and my career planner told me that if there's no open slots at your reserve unit, then you can go to where ever, like Camp Lejuene or something else, it's also a required 3 year term.

Hey kid, would you buy a car before you test drove it? Probably not, meaning that if you are asking this question, go reserves first...one weekend a month, two weeks in the summer and if you don't like it no worries...

I went Army National Guard before joining the Corps...I love the military lifestyle...which is why I have served 5 years ARNG, and 10 in the Marines.

Thread Information