Disability Question(s)
Create Post

Disability Question(s)

Currently I am rated at 20% for both of my knees having a degenrative going on. I also had applied for my wrists having tendentitis, carpal tunnel, and arthritis, but was told since I never got treatment for it while active duty, they weren't going to cover it. This all happened back in Feb.
    Also my feet had 5 botched toe removal surgerys that still cause me pain, but they never gave me anything for this.

Could I re-apply next year for my wrists/feet? Is there any way I could get them to cover it, or am I SOL? Could a Vet advocacy agency help out?

And while I am at it, is there going to be an increase to disability pay?

My knees/feet hurt bad enough now, especially in the winter, that I can't run anymore than a mile now without pain in my feet and knees. Not working out has caused me to gain 15 lbs, which is very frustrating.

You can apply as much as your want.....stack up their desk if your really in that much pain......and if you get approved your back pay will date back to the first time your requested.......

Had a friend that lost both his hands in Iraq....only got 60%...bc it was the year alot of military was hurt....he faught it and faught it and now is at 80% i think......but he deserved it.....

not to be rude, but i just dont think the VA is going to give you that much...to be 30% or higher you need to have really been injured or have a really bad case of PTSD.....

giveen: You can apply for an increase ay any time. You can also file a claim for anything you want at any time you want, however, filing a claim and WINNING a claim are two different things. To WIN your claim, you must have three things... 1) an in service incident or occurrance (something must have happened to tou while on active duty); 2) a current diagnosis of a disability (something has to be wrong with you now); and last 3) a link between #1 &#2 (the reason something is wrong with you now is because of the in service incident).

Now a couple of questions: Were the toe surgeries done in service? or were they caused by something that happened in service? If so, get your doctor to write a letter stating that it is as likely as not that the surgery was necessitated by your in service injury. He must also state that he has reviewed your service medical records.
    As for the wrist problems..if you do not have any evidence linking your wrist problems to your service it is unlikely that you will get this service connected, unless you can prove that some other service connected condition caused this (secondaty condition).

LAST: Find an accredited representative to help you with your claim. American Legion, VFW, MCL and many other service organizations have reps to assist you, and most do not even require you to be a organization member. Check your STATE telephone listings and see if your state has a state department of Veterans Affairs, that is usually the best place to start looking for a rep.

Semper Fi, and Merry Christmas to all. God Bless our Troops

Quote Originally Posted by oldtop View Post
    giveen: You can apply for an increase ay any time. You can also file a claim for anything you want at any time you want, however, filing a claim and WINNING a claim are two different things. To WIN your claim, you must have three things... 1) an in service incident or occurrance (something must have happened to tou while on active duty); 2) a current diagnosis of a disability (something has to be wrong with you now); and last 3) a link between #1 &#2 (the reason something is wrong with you now is because of the in service incident).

Now a couple of questions: Were the toe surgeries done in service? or were they caused by something that happened in service? If so, get your doctor to write a letter stating that it is as likely as not that the surgery was necessitated by your in service injury. He must also state that he has reviewed your service medical records.
    As for the wrist problems..if you do not have any evidence linking your wrist problems to your service it is unlikely that you will get this service connected, unless you can prove that some other service connected condition caused this (secondaty condition).

LAST: Find an accredited representative to help you with your claim. American Legion, VFW, MCL and many other service organizations have reps to assist you, and most do not even require you to be a organization member. Check your STATE telephone listings and see if your state has a state department of Veterans Affairs, that is usually the best place to start looking for a rep.

Semper Fi, and Merry Christmas to all. God Bless our Troops
    Thank you, MSgt

Yes, the surgery on my toes were done in service. I was prone to in-grown toenails. They removed my toenail 5 times on the right and twice on the left. Each time they burned the nail root with acid and promised me that it would not grow back and would not cause me pain ever again. And here I am, out of service, and I still have those stupid toenails, ingrowing and getting infected.

I will probably end up talking to the state VA, since when I originally filed, I didnt' do that.

I feel so pathetic even when I originally filed. Its not like the Marines out there who have hands blow off or stuff like that, but it does cause me pain.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

If you did not see medical while in the service you will not get any claim for it. It has to be Service connected to receive disability under service connection otherwise, you are out of luck.

Something happen to me. Had incoming one day I was thrown backwards hit the ground hard, didn't feel hurt, and I jumped up and ran for a bunker. Never thought about it until my back started hurting me many years later. today, I suffer from 3 herniated discs that is not service connected among other service connected disabilities I collect for..

Oh well

Two more questions.
    Disability pay....am I taxed already for that? Will have to file for that for taxes?
    Also will I get a W-2 for it?

VA claim

You can keep your claim open all the way to the Board of Veterans Appeal in D.C. As long as the claim is still active if you increase your rating it goes back to the date of the original filing. YOU MUST KEEP THE CLAIM OPEN, STAY ON TOP OF IT AND CHECK REGULARILY TO ENSUR5E IT DOESN'T GET LOST. I strongly urge you to find a service rep.There are many available. I think DAV is the best. Remember that these organizations have reps at the regional offices where your initial review will be heard by a compensation and pension board. Guess who makes up the board? Hope this helps. Patience and follow up is the key. Semper Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    Currently I am rated at 20% for both of my knees having a degenrative going on. I also had applied for my wrists having tendentitis, carpal tunnel, and arthritis, but was told since I never got treatment for it while active duty, they weren't going to cover it. This all happened back in Feb.
    Also my feet had 5 botched toe removal surgerys that still cause me pain, but they never gave me anything for this.

Could I re-apply next year for my wrists/feet? Is there any way I could get them to cover it, or am I SOL? Could a Vet advocacy agency help out?

And while I am at it, is there going to be an increase to disability pay?

My knees/feet hurt bad enough now, especially in the winter, that I can't run anymore than a mile now without pain in my feet and knees. Not working out has caused me to gain 15 lbs, which is very frustrating.

Yeah, I am satisfied with my 20%, just really curious.

Any information on taxes for disability?

NO TAXES on VA Disability....nothing is held out for taxes, no 1099 or W-2 is issued, VA Disability does not exist for tax purposes, at least NOT YET

Thank you, MSgt. I actually just called the VA this morning and asked.

Vfw

If you have problems with the paper work go to your local VFW Rep they are very good at getting the paper work right and in where it needs to be and fast. The VA is not so fast on returning an answer! It works try you'll like it.
    All one note VA disablility it judgement pruff can not be touch by the courts for any reason and yes it is not taxed!

What ever you don't give up keep filing your claims and stick with it,follow up on all your appointments.It's a long process,and they want you to give up.It took me 30 years to get to 70%,and up to this day I'm fighting for 100%.I'm on appeal right now.PTSD is 50% rating.Make sure you have all your documents,and document every trip to the doctor,or any medical visit.Most of you VFW'S have very good service officers,they can help,or go to a veterans commission center in your state.I hope you don't live in Texas,the Houston VA,is the WORST in the entire country.So don't give up Marine-Semper Fi----Ignacio.

While the VFW is a good place to look, I would encourage you to talk to your local DAV rep. They have legal reps and know the system better than anyone else. My wife is 70%, and the DAV was instrumental in getting her rating.

Mustang: is she working? If not, she should apply for IU.

Thread Information