Shipping Bonus
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Bonus

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Shipping Bonus

I recently joined the DEP back on September 21, 2009. My ship date is July 26, 2010. I was told yesterday that there is a high chance I will be shipping towards the beginning of January. My question is, I was looking at the paper that shows the different jobs in the Marine Corps and was wondering what make you eligible for the Shipping Bonus : $5000. I did not decide to join the Marine Corps for a bonus, if I wanted a bonus I would've joined the army, but my mom is freaking out because she works in a army hospital and she wants me to get some kind of bonus because all the army people there are talking about their big $20,000 bonus's and crap.

Any information is much appreciated.

People get a bonus for shipping? When did I miss that bus?!

If I were you, I'd take it..Most people start to get eager to go to training, but not for some people.

It's all up to you. Your decision.

Are you ready for it? Physically? Mentally?
    Could you use more time to train up?
    Do you know all your knowledge?

There's lots to think about. And don't worry about the Army. The Army just gives away money like crazy.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Ohh no no, I was curious on how to get it. If the spot opens up for me early, I will most definitely be on the next bus to Parris Island!

Mommy needs to pipe down, her son is going to be a man in a few months. No lol, only joking, my parents wanted me to go to OCS just so i could make more money.

To get bonuses you basically have to bug the hell out of the recruiter or join with a MC band contract (so I'm told). There are only a certain amount of funds for bonuses per region per year. Some of them are special contracts (Band, 5 year secruity forces, etc) Some of them are allocated to people who ship early (there was a kid at my RSS who was in the same situation, got asked to leave like 8 months early, did, got a $4000 bonus to go with it, kept his contract.. bastard) Just keep dropping subtle hints to your recruiter. If he can do it, he can do it, if not, oh well. It's kinda just the luck of the draw.

Doesn't really have a lot to do with personal qualifications either. I have a Bachelor's degree, scored a 93 on the ASVAB, line scores like all above 110 or something (GT 129) and am running around a 260 PFT, I only got contract PFC, and thats the way I like it.. its the Marine Corps way.

Good luck man, hopefully you can ship early

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The pride and honor of becoming one of the few is the only bonus you need, its worth much more than any amount of money that our nation can give you. Moms will never ever understand that.

OOHRAH!!!

Jim

That is exactly what I told my parents SSgt. I followed up with some other explanations, but they got the gist of it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the information guys, I hope I do get a spot in January. I can't wait to earn the title!

Well dont expect to get that fill 5000 smacks. Taxes will eat that alive. Youll be lucky to get 2 or 3k of it which is still 2 or 3k more than what you have now. But just dont expect all of it. My recruiter just got a reenlistment bonus of 9k and only got 6k.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Bonus????/ You can be my Brother for life. Bonus enough? Sit your grandkids on your lap and tell them Marine Corps history, Bonus enough.

My bonus will be when i become a Marine Fighter Pilot... being a Marine+Pilot=Two birds with one stone... yup I'm dreaming big lol.

I signed a 5 year AG contract and got a $4000 when I graduate boot camp.

Telling my grandkids sounds great and all but my student loans scream for bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Johnson View Post
    I signed a 5 year AG contract and got a $4000 when I graduate boot camp.
    I signed a 5 year AG contract with a $0 bonus

Hey Marines and Poolees, my buddy Marine just got back from boot camp awhile ago and told me he got a $5000 bonus when he was in boot camp, but spended most of it and came back with $3000. Is that the same thing?

Thread Information