Thread: Age

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Im currently 16 and 3 months. I hear that you can do paperwork of some sort at 16 and 9 months. Does anyone else know anything about this? What can be done to help me get shipped to boot as quick as possible when I turn 17? I did a search but didnt turn up anything, forgive me if I happened to miss something.

You can sign up when you are 17 with your parents permission but you have to have a high school diploma to enlist.

And as always, check with a recruitor

Credits
    Savings
    Recruiters dont really seem to be a help, I guess its the fact that I still am a ways away from 17. Anyways, thanks for your help

For starters, it's boot camp or recruit training, not boot.
    There's alot more to it than just saying I want to sign some papers and go to boot camp as soon as possible. Have you taken the ASVAB or even talked with a recruiter yet? Are you physically fit and not overweight? Have you been in any trouble that may require waivers? Have you had any medical problems that may require wiavers? Do you have any tattoos that may require waivers?
    Also, why do you want to become a Marine? And what type of job do you want to do in the Marine Corps?

US Military Enlistment Standards
    Age Limits
    By federal law (10 U.S.C., 505), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and 18 (without parental consent).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/enlage.htm

Also, if you are still in school, stay in high school. Do not quit. Finish high school and get a diploma, not a GED. It's much harder these days to get in the Marine Corps with a GED.

I know there are some recruiters/former recruiters on here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they can legally "talk" to you until you're 17. "Talk" meaning showing a strong interest in getting you in the office and getting things rolling.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The only thing you may be able to do until you are 17 is go to the RSS and ask to PT with the poolees and maybe volunteer your time by helping them around the office.

You have 9 months to go and you can use this time constructively by asking the recruiter if you can hang out during your free time.

You can go to your library or on line and study and take a pre ASVAB test.

Read the questions and answers in the Ask A Marine and Poolee Forum on this site a good source of information.

There is nothing that you can do otherwise until you turn 17 and then with a HS diploma and parental/legal guardian signatures you can DEP provided you have NO medical/legal waivers holding you back.

Good luck....hang in there...9 months ain't a long time unless your incarcerated or pregnant!

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry for calling it boot rather than boot camp. I have talked to a recruiter about those preliminary questions WMarine asked in the previous post. I will be taking the ASVAB later in the school year. I am scheduled to graduate in May so I will have my diploma along with parent consent. I would like to become a Marine for many reason. In general, experience, benefits, and to have a purpose in life. I am interested in Infantry specifically Recon if I have the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by RYDERKUR View Post
    I know there are some recruiters/former recruiters on here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they can legally "talk" to you until you're 17. "Talk" meaning showing a strong interest in getting you in the office and getting things rolling.
    I doubt it'd be illegal to canvas a 16 year old, never heard anything like that, but realistically it's not going to do the recruiter any good since a 16 year old can't start the paper work process. I'm sure a 16 year old would love to sit down and spend hours upon hours of Q&A time with a recruiter, the recruiter is going to be more interested in the 17 and older group because they are potentials that can be turned into contracts for the recent months.

When I was 15 and 16 I used to bug the recruiters all the time. Of course I didn't understand it at the time but as friendly informative as they were I wasn't their focus of interest since they couldn't get me to sign anytime soon. There really isn't a lot to discuss prior to 17, most kids change their minds and goals for life within those early years. Most that can be said is to keep in touch until you are 17 and ready for the ASVAB.

edit time limit keeps getting me :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    The only thing you may be able to do until you are 17 is go to the RSS and ask to PT with the poolees and maybe volunteer your time by helping them around the office.

You have 9 months to go and you can use this time constructively by asking the recruiter if you can hang out during your free time.

You can go to your library or on line and study and take a pre ASVAB test.

Read the questions and answers in the Ask A Marine and Poolee Forum on this site a good source of information.

There is nothing that you can do otherwise until you turn 17 and then with a HS diploma and parental/legal guardian signatures you can DEP provided you have NO medical/legal waivers holding you back.

Good luck....hang in there...9 months ain't a long time unless your incarcerated or pregnant!
    Perfect advice

PT and make sure you are ready for the ASVAB, don't gaff it off.

Good luck to you, I was in your shoes when I joined. Went to boot camp only months after turning 17 and litterally 2 weeks after graduating.

Quote Originally Posted by dramp View Post
    Sorry for calling it boot rather than boot camp. I have talked to a recruiter about those preliminary questions WMarine asked in the previous post. I will be taking the ASVAB later in the school year. I am scheduled to graduate in May so I will have my diploma along with parent consent. I would like to become a Marine for many reason. In general, experience, benefits, and to have a purpose in life. I am interested in Infantry specifically Recon if I have the choice.
    Everyone is interested in Recon. If you get into bootcamp you should wait untill you go to SOI to decide if you want to try out for recon.

Thread Information