Talked to recruiter today
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talked to recruiter today

Hello, my name is Luke Tinch, today me and my mom went to the recruiters office, and talked with him, tomorrow my mom and dad are going to sign the papers of consent, and I will be taking the ASVAB this Tuesday, and going to MEPS next Monday, at the office I told him that i wanted to go to MEPS during January so I would have time to be able to do pull ups. He asked how many I can do now, and I told him probably none, and we went to the pull up bar he had in his office, and I did 1 with swinging my legs and we are still going threw with the MEPS next Monday, and my recruiter told me that they just do basic exercises and movements to test mobility and things like this, i also purchased a pull up bar today and am going to the gym all the time until MEPS, so I am going to be working on my pulls ups, but my question is..Will the personnel at MEPS do tests on pull ups and things like this? (also I am going to take the ASVAB Tuesday, MEPS on the Monday after that, and then swear in the Oath of Enlistment around January 1st, that's what the recruiter told me and my mom today. I thought MEPS you did everything at once, but I guess this is not true in my case?

sorry for such a long post, any answers would be appreciated. Thank you Marines.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    No, at MEPS you will just do a physical and the ASVAB....any sort of pullups, running, crunches will be done at an IST (initial strength test) with your recruiter and other poolees.

That said get yourself on that bar and start working on those pull ups, start running and doing crunches also

I posted this info for you yesterday in a thread you started.............. "MEPS Question".

MEPS at a Glance
    An Overview of the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS)
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...mepsglance.htm

The Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP)
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm

On another note and without sounding like I'm knitpicking....how about using some proper sentence structure. You've got everything running together with no capital letters at the beginning of your sentences.

Good luck to you!

When I went through, my liaison had me do 5 pullups, but it had no bearing on whether or not I enlisted/shipped. Hell, the minimum standard for the IST is 2 and for the PFT it's 3.

That being said, work on those pullups. Those more than anything else are your money makers. You should easily be getting at least 80 crunches and so long as you're running 1 1/2 miles in 13 minutes you'll be fine because running will come with time, and drill instructors have plenty of time.

yeah thanks, Marines. and sorry about my sentence structure WMarine. But yes, I have the crunches pretty much down for the IST and the running, I just bought a pull up bar, and I have a gym member ship so im going to be working out alot, wont ship till around August, so I have along time to train. Also my recruiter will be working with me he was in special forces, so will be training us hard. Thanks Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When you can't pull up no more, keep stress hangin,,,,,,, Good luck to ya,,,,,,,

I recommend the Armstrong pullup program. Also if you don't know what negative pullups are google those and do them as well.

With the stricter standards for enlistment nowadays, some Recruiting Stations (RS) are making sure potential poolees are doing at least 2 pullups before enlisting. It may differ from area to area, but in RS Oklahoma City, for example, you cannot enlist unless you're doing the 2 pullups you need.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGod2111 View Post
    With the stricter standards for enlistment nowadays, some Recruiting Stations (RS) are making sure potential poolees are doing at least 2 pullups before enlisting. It may differ from area to area, but in RS Oklahoma City, for example, you cannot enlist unless you're doing the 2 pullups you need.
    Recruiters need to be working these guys. Going to PI doing 3 pullups is a disgrace.

I wouldn't really say it's a disgrace, it's more so setting them up for failure then anything. Most stations have some sort of PT schedule to include poolee's into a PT routine. I think that prior to shipping they should at the very least be able to do 5 pull ups and not just 3. With kipping and all kinds of other factors it's a huge probability of them being dropped to PCP for PFT failure.

It's a disgrace to the recruiting office that someone doesn't care enough to spend the proper amount of time making sure a poolee is in proper pre-bootcamp shape.

Yes I can agree with that.

Lets see, Recruiters work 12 hour days. Most have PT schedules for Poolees. They have families that they try to see every day. The standards are the standards. Recruiters job is too find them, enlist them, get them mentally ready, and get them to pass the IST. The Drill Instructors job is to train them and make them Marines. I have been on recruiting duty for 9 years, the job is tough enough. I have ran 3 stations and have had PT sessions at all of them. My recruiters do what they can. For those that have been on recruiting duty, they understand. For those that have not been a recruiter or run from the screening team, they post complaints.

That's the poor attitude I'm talking about right there, Gunny.

Quote Originally Posted by MARINECID View Post
    I have ran 3 stations and have had PT sessions at all of them. My recruiters do what they can. For those that have been on recruiting duty, they understand. For those that have not been a recruiter or run from the screening team, they post complaints.
    No one is complaining, 03INF commented on allowing a poolee to do the minimum standard and not caring to help the poolee before shiping. As I pointed out, most places have a program set up for PT which you confirmed as well. There will always be a 10% no matter where you go, every MOS has them. The good thing about those 10% recruiters is eventually they get sent back and don't spend a entire career giving everyone a black eye. It would be nice if all MOS's could send their 10% somewhere else instead of being stuck with them for the remainder of their contract or until they get the boot.

Anyway, sorry to go off topic. My personal recommendation has always been to at least be able to do 5 pull ups to be safe, for those who have trouble in that area. The majority of recruits will be doing at least twice the amount of pull ups come graduation day.

Thread Information