Please help
Create Post

Thread: Please help

Please help

I have not signed my papers yet due to still having a month to go untill I turn 18. Any way to my question.

I am looking at going in the reservse while going to college, thinking about an MOS of MP, and becoming an officer. My question is if i go into Platoon Leaders Course while going to school can I still get deployed? What do Marine MP's do while deployed? Should I wait get my degree and then go to OCS/ Platoon Leaders Course?

first of all you need to know if MP is offered in the reserves in your area. Find out all the MOS offered in the reserves in your area and start from there. I highly doubt you will get deployed while in PLC. You will be on active duty for that period of time. If you are in the reserves while in college there is always the possiblilty of being deployed. It may be good to go to a college with Navy ROTC while in college, you can select the MARINE option while in NROTC and go thru PLC or OCS.

I've looked into to it. The local MARINE Reserves unit around is in Dayton, 15 min south of me and it is an MP unit. So I am for fortunate. I have looked into NROTC schools, as of right now I wouldnt have the grades to get into a school like that, unless I transfer.

If you are going through your Officer training you will not be allowed to deploy or you will lose you status.

Thank you Corporal and Staff Sergeant

Going into the reserves is a good idea. I am an 0311 in the reserves and the training I have been through in boot camp and infantry school have prepared me for future goals in the Marines and out. I just received my associates degree, and i train once a month. With possible deployments to Afghanistan coming up I could very well be pulled out of school to serve overseas. However I am putting in my PLC package next month and was told that if i am accepted and got to OCS in the summertime, I would not be able to deploy with my unit in 2011. While I was looking forward to a deployment with my unit, I have to realize that I will be more valuable if I make it through OCS and become an active duty officer in my Corps. Point being, once established in the PLC program they don't want you to deploy. Long post, hope this helps.

Also the PLC program is done while you are in college between your sophomore and junior years. Go talk to a Marine recruiter and an OSO. They should be able to help you out.

Thanks Privite First Class, i asked my recruiter about it, I have no problem deploying, I would rather not while in the reserves.

Thread Information