Scout/Snipers
Create Post

Thread: Scout/Snipers

Scout/Snipers

If any of you Poolee's got any questions about Scout/Snipers, or what its like to be in a STA platoon. Feel free to send me a PM. I've been in my units SSP for about a year now, havent been to school yet, but I can answer pretty much any of the questions you guys got.

yut yut.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What made you want to become a scout/sniper?

i have always wanted to be a scout/sniper but i am red/green color blind but i have read online that color blindness is discouraged but not a disqualifier so basically what im asking is if their is any chance i could be a Marine scout/sniper

They gave me **** at MEPS about being Red/green color blind or some **** but that was the last I ever heard of it. If you're a good Marine, you pass an indoc or a screener, they let you into a STA platoon, and you excel in the platoon then yes theres a chance you could become a scout/sniper. I cant call myself a scout/sniper, because I havent been to school yet. I'm basically a dirty nasty PIG. When you graduate S/S school you become a HOG.

kcPerkins: It's my dream job. It's what I have wanted to do in the military for as long as I can remember. One day the opportunity showed itself and I took it.

What takes place during the indoc? How do you try out to be a SS?

You go through a Screener or an Indoc, Sgt. Screener is basically like an interview and a PFT or two.

Indocs differ from Unit to Unit. Some are 2 weeks long, some are 3 days, etc. But basically its a massive haze fest. What they decide to do during the indoc is completely up to the imagination of the NCO's or SNCO's holding it for the most part. But, I never did an Indoc so my opinions on it are basically null and void.

And I see you're from Amesbury Sergeant. I'm from Merrimac. Small World.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Puffs View Post
    You go through a Screener or an Indoc, Sgt. Screener is basically like an interview and a PFT or two.

Indocs differ from Unit to Unit. Some are 2 weeks long, some are 3 days, etc. But basically its a massive haze fest. What they decide to do during the indoc is completely up to the imagination of the NCO's or SNCO's holding it for the most part. But, I never did an Indoc so my opinions on it are basically null and void.

And I see you're from Amesbury Sergeant. I'm from Merrimac. Small World.
    It is a small world. I am looking to come back into the reserves. Are you with 25th Marines? Do you get points for recruiting Prior Service?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    i was in sta plt as a 8541 in the 80's,and im curious why they changed the #'s on our m.o.s?unless im miss reading

Quote Originally Posted by nightmare 1 View Post
    i was in sta plt as a 8541 in the 80's,and im curious why they changed the #'s on our m.o.s?unless im miss reading
    You're not miss reading, SS MOS was changed to 0317 a little while ago. I'm not sure as for the reason, but I suspect it was simply so snipers would retain an 03 MOS.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

m.o.s

I see,thats interesting-and makes plenty of sense,thanx!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm not sure if you can answer this right off the bat or not but here it goes. I'm very interested in S/S School, I have always wanted to be a sniper, maybe because of the redneck inside me or just to fact Snipers can make a huge difference on the field. Well anyways I am enlisting in June (DEP) and planning on 0321 (Recon) for my MOS or a few other things, there are oppotunies for S/S in this MOS correct? Also my goal so to speak is to become an Officer and be a S/S Platton leader. Just curious of the chances since I saw on here unless your in law or a pilot you don't really have a choice of what you do. Another thing is the PL training to hold that position, do they send you through actual S/S School or a different S/S program?

Thanks for any help Marine(s), Chris K.

Thread Information