M9s for 0331s?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M9s for 0331s?

M9s for 0331s?

Being with an LAR Bn. we dont have 0331s,
    I was asking around and apparently the 240 gunners that find themselves humping the gun in A-stan in alot of cases get stuck with an M4 as a sidearm.
    Id like to know what what fraction gets the M4s or if its the 0331s who get attached to infantry squads. I could see an M2HB gunner from a weapons company with an M9.
    If revealing this kind of info is an OPSEC violations just PM me plz.
    I just wanna know if its possible to get an M9 as a 240 gunner, I could carry more 7.62 that way.

I think, atleast in my unit, it has to do with how many M4's/M9's your unit actually carries. To me carrying a M9 sidearm would be more efficient as a M240 gunner, so I wouldn't see why they wouldnt issue them out to you.

I feel for the guys that have to double hump long weapons. In 2002, our SMAW guy also had to carry a M16A2. So a rocket launcher on one shoulder and a rifle on the other. That sucked.

Not to mention the ammo...7.62 for a 240 and 5.56 for an M4? Hrmmm...no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    Not to mention the ammo...7.62 for a 240 and 5.56 for an M4? Hrmmm...no thanks!
    My thoughts exacally. With the MTV jacket and full sappies topped off with a full load of ammo flopping around would quickly peak my fun meter.

I felt bad for the guys who got stuck with even M9's, such a waste of carrying weight and a very annoying thing to have flopping around on your leg or hip.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In the "old days" machine gunners were issued a pistol as their sidearm.

Personally, this is what I live for.

He put the spare barrel in his camelback pouch lol ingenious
    This gunner does have an M9 strapped.

7.62 punches through mud huts like paper.

Im not sure but I think we've transitioned from the MTV to the plate carrier for good. Those friggin MTVs would stiffen like rocks from all the sweat and dirt. What a miserable summer.

Yep, so as a gunner I have carried The 240 along with a m4 as well as a 9mm. Good old PFC Lynch comming back from the armory in 29 palms, with more weapons then his entire team. The 240, a new M9 as well as an M9. Excessive? Maybe. Entertaning? Of course. x3 9mm mags, x5 5.56 mags then atleast 150 7.62.
    Now did I ever hump the 240 around in Iraq? No, it was always vic mounted, so I was armed with the m4 and 9mm if I was part of the dismounts and I acted as an 11. In the turret I had the 9mm on my leg, M4 to my left in the handles next to me and the 240 and or 249 infront.

My old armor talked about putting a rail on the bottom of the 240. Thoughts on that? Why in the top pic is there a broom handle on the side of the 240? Incase of "rambo" fire in a pinch?

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    I think, atleast in my unit, it has to do with how many M4's/M9's your unit actually carries. To me carrying a M9 sidearm would be more efficient as a M240 gunner, so I wouldn't see why they wouldnt issue them out to you.
    That reminds me when we were replaced by 1/6 one of their guys (who later became a neighbor) told me their BC said M4 were given out based on the Marines' height.

I remember my BN being pretty low on M4's, but that was also almost 4 years ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch31 View Post
    Yep, so as a gunner I have carried The 240 along with a m4 as well as a 9mm. Good old PFC Lynch comming back from the armory in 29 palms, with more weapons then his entire team. The 240, a new M9 as well as an M9. Excessive? Maybe. Entertaning? Of course. x3 9mm mags, x5 5.56 mags then atleast 150 7.62.
    Now did I ever hump the 240 around in Iraq? No, it was always vic mounted, so I was armed with the m4 and 9mm if I was part of the dismounts and I acted as an 11. In the turret I had the 9mm on my leg, M4 to my left in the handles next to me and the 240 and or 249 infront.

My old armor talked about putting a rail on the bottom of the 240. Thoughts on that? Why in the top pic is there a broom handle on the side of the 240? Incase of "rambo" fire in a pinch?
    That makes sense...Its still no way to travel light on a field op.
    Going out with 3 TO weapons...you cant be expected to have all 3 ready, the M4 would have to be slung on your back.
    Well hopefully my command will be sensible about these things.

Credits
    Savings
    I have no idea what that broom handles for lol. I know them new charging handles for the 240s suck pretty bad. big ol bulky things get all caught up on crap

Im hoping my CoC lives by the rule "If you can't truck it...." ya'll know the rest

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    On prolonged Combat Patrols I Humped 42 Mag's,Two in my Rifle one in Mag well the other taped upside down with Duct tape/Quick Change.When walking Point Carried a 12 Gauge @ 45 1911-15 mags full one in Pistol 16 total @ a Demo bag full of No.4.Humped more Goodies but,You get the Point no Pun intended S/F

Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch31 View Post
    In the turret I had the 9mm on my leg, M4 to my left in the handles next to me and the 240 and or 249 infront.
    I would recommend transitioning the 9 from your thigh and sliding it into the pouch on the front of the MTV...much easier access while in a vic. This goes for being in one the seats as well. I found it made it easier to access and reduced the likelihood it would catch on stuff...although when in the drop holster i normally had that thing rotated to almost the front of my thigh (b/c my hands natural fall there and the 9 wouldn't be as likely to catch on stuff). Some people in leadership may have a problem with not using an actual holster, but no one ever said anything to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 00101010 View Post
    That reminds me when we were replaced by 1/6 one of their guys (who later became a neighbor) told me their BC said M4 were given out based on the Marines' height.
    I can't imagine there being a unit organized enough to issue weapons based on someone's height! Lol!

Lol, I can't imagine how fun that issue would be...oh man.

Thread Information