MOS question
Create Post

Thread: MOS question

MOS question

Hi my name is Seth, as of Wednesday December 2nd, 2009 I became a USMC DEP poolee that same night (after a function) my recruiter Gunny Reedy showed the slot for artillery cannoneer which is the MOS I was aiming for it was in CE list, but there was only one slot left for my time date (20100823) he said the other MOS I qualify for that are in the CE list were M1A1 tank crewman, AAV crewmember, EFV crewman, and LAAD.however he brought up a CK list that was only artillery (had all of them) but required a GT 105 (the CE only needed 90, but I scored a 104 so Gunny checkd for a 1 point waiver) My question is, if I graduate from basic and the slot for 0811 is no longer avaliable, am I able to choose the M1A1 crewman or do they make me choose from the CK list before choosing the other MOS I qualify for?

First, you don't rate to call a GySgt a Gunny.
    Second, it's boot camp, not basic, this isn't the army.
    Third, you don't get to choose a MOS, you choose a field. You'll choose a field and after boot camp and SOI, you'll split into your MOS, the Corps will determine that.

The Combat Support section works like this,

If you can swim at a WS-2 or above level out of boot camp you will go to AAV's, no one gets EFV because there are no EFV's in the fleet and probably never will be at the rate they are going. EFV's are supposed to be the replacements for AAV's but the program has been such a flop due to budget cuts and other issues that it might never happen.

If you can't swim you'll go to the other ones and it will be hit or miss.

This of course is all on a quota allocation table, available seats and class dates. Depending on how your dates run and the open seats during that time you could end up anywhere.

at polizei- Sorry about that.

at Vandrel- Thanks for the info.

Don't go to boot camp without your MOS being stated in your contract, else you will get whatever the **** they give you, and have no say in the matter.

^ cold hard facts right there. I was stupid and let my recruiter push me through "OPEN CONTRACT", how about them apples?

I will tell you this and it's VERY rare, if you have mega-mad issues in boot camp with your MOS you can raise a fit over and over they will let you go see the career planner who is generally a MSgt, he'll sit you down and work out what you want to pick if you meet the requirements. That's what I did to get out of "OPEN CONTRACT".

Note: I didn't ***** to my DI's or my SDI about it, I just waited until SDI time and talked to him one on one so I could get it changed. It did take a few times for me to ask him about it but he eventually hooked me up. 9 years later when I was getting out of the Corps I ended up sitting in the same seperations class as my Senior who was a MSgt retiring, I thanked him

Hey bro. First off congrats on your decision to be a poolee. I did the same in 2007. I wanted to be a Tanker (M1A1 crewman), however I am partially colorblind and was unable to become a Tanker. I originally chose to become a Data Systems guy. After talking to a few Marines, I changed my contract as a poolee. (Yes it is possible.) I changed my MOS to a 02xx Intel contract. Now I am a Topographic Analyst (0261) which is an MOS that you need correct color vision (I'm still confused with how I recieved this, but couldn't be a tanker). What I am trying to say is the best way understand what MOS is right for you is to wait on signing any MOS contract until you are confident on your choice. Talk to Marines, friends, or family and see what job you think would be good for you. If you are unhappy with your ASVAB score You CAN retake it. I know a guy who retook it literally 4 times.

Patience, my friend! If you can't get a job you want, just wait until next year or wait for an opening. Remember, it's 4 to 5 years of your life.

If you go open contract, you'll most likely end up infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Brigade View Post
    If you go open contract, you'll most likely end up infantry.
    Negative, it is really hard to get infantry on open contract (and supposedly not allowed).

However, you do run the high chance of getting a direct combat support MOS, so you'd be a grunt-lite. Or you'd get admin. Which is POG-erific.

All of my fellow recruits who were open contract ended up as 03s at the end of boot. Times may have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Brigade View Post
    All of my fellow recruits who were open contract ended up as 03s at the end of boot. Times may have changed.
    Devil, I graduated a little more than a month after you. I would have no better idea than you!

The reason I said what I said was because a guy from high school just went in open contract, ended up being a radioman. Anyways, his recruiter told him the Corps doesn't give infantry contracts to open contracts, although his wording is open enough for me to think that it's not a rule, and just what ends up happening. Maybe your company was crazy. I know none of the opens in my platoon got 03.

I joined with an open contract, got air wing. Guess it all depends on how well you did on the asvab

pussies,whats the matter with 0351,you all need a ride or something?

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace15 View Post
    Didn't realize anyone had a problem with assaultmen... You guys get all the cool toys!

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace15 View Post

Why pack it if you can track it?

Thread Information