Mos 3521?
Create Post

Thread: Mos 3521?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Mos 3521?

My husband got his second choice which was diesel mechanic (3521?). He chose AD. He is at bootcamp right now will graduate march 5th. I am in the army and am stationed in Henderson NV for medical school for the next 4 years. Do you think there is a chance he will colocate nearby? Are they allowed to make calls during MOS training? How quickly after MOS training do marines deploy? On deployments do 3521s go out on missions( I know first a rifleman) ? Also during boot camp is there a chance he could change mos to 7051 ( Crash Fire and Rescue...his first choice but told slots were full and don't reopen till oct 2010)? He was going to college for firefighting when he joined.

Thank You for all your help
    V/r
    Tiffany

As a Motor-T mechanic he won't really be jumping into the front lines. Most of them sit back in the rear on the FOB's or Camps and service the vehicles that break down. There are some rare times where a mech needs to leave the lines and is called out for on-site work, satallite locations, etc. that don't have any mech's available.

I don't know off hand where Motor-T school is but I don't think it's in NV. Phone calls are always permitted at MOS schools, it's sorta like a mini-version of the fleet. Most MOS schools have barracks rooms and all the regular accomidations that fleet Marines have. I don't see why cellphones wouldn't be authorized either, generally the main thing that isn't authorized in MOS school is POV's.

Deployment after MOS school, well that all depends on where the MOS school sends him for his duty station. Motor-T is a high demand overseas, lots and lots of logistics convoys rolling around to keep the supplies moving between camps and FOB's. Mechanics will be a high desire over there and it's often that there isn't enough which is why there's also civilian contractors out there working as field support reps to pickup the slack where there's not enough maintenance personnel. None of this is a 100% promise because there are so many different deployment requirements that Marines are deployed out-side of their MOS doing provisional infantry related tasks.

Last year (2008) in Ramadi, Iraq my security section that I was given was comprised of a handful of AAV crewman, several Motor-T drivers, a supply guy, a mechanic and a comm guy. None of us were Grunts but all of us were manning towers, watching cameras and guarding entrence gates for our tiny location.

Chances of him switching MOS's now, slim to none. He can always talk to his Senior Drill Instructor and request to see the career planner and MAYBE he will help him out.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you SGT. Its helpful to know what my husband decided to do. I think Motor-T school is in NC. I was thinking more future as in PDS and colocating, I know it will be hard especially Army and Marine.
    Thank you again
    Better get back to studying for Final Exam-Promised him I would do well this semester while he was at boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    As a Motor-T mechanic he won't really be jumping into the front lines. Most of them sit back in the rear on the FOB's or Camps and service the vehicles that break down. There are some rare times where a mech needs to leave the lines and is called out for on-site work, satallite locations, etc. that don't have any mech's available.

I don't know off hand where Motor-T school is but I don't think it's in NV. Phone calls are always permitted at MOS schools, it's sorta like a mini-version of the fleet. Most MOS schools have barracks rooms and all the regular accomidations that fleet Marines have. I don't see why cellphones wouldn't be authorized either, generally the main thing that isn't authorized in MOS school is POV's.

Deployment after MOS school, well that all depends on where the MOS school sends him for his duty station. Motor-T is a high demand overseas, lots and lots of logistics convoys rolling around to keep the supplies moving between camps and FOB's. Mechanics will be a high desire over there and it's often that there isn't enough which is why there's also civilian contractors out there working as field support reps to pickup the slack where there's not enough maintenance personnel. None of this is a 100% promise because there are so many different deployment requirements that Marines are deployed out-side of their MOS doing provisional infantry related tasks.

Last year (2008) in Ramadi, Iraq my security section that I was given was comprised of a handful of AAV crewman, several Motor-T drivers, a supply guy, a mechanic and a comm guy. None of us were Grunts but all of us were manning towers, watching cameras and guarding entrence gates for our tiny location.

Chances of him switching MOS's now, slim to none. He can always talk to his Senior Drill Instructor and request to see the career planner and MAYBE he will help him out.

No problem,

Being that he's married and Motor-T is a huge MOS I'm sure it's a very good possibility that since you are both military that he could be sent to a nearby unit. Every unit has some kind of Motor-T asset.

There really isn't any Marine bases close to that, other then he could try and do an I&I at a reserve unit close to there. If he gets the chance to switch over to crash fire rescue, then that really limits the possibility of him going somewhere close to where you are, since those are mostly on the naval air bases.

SSgt Petz could give you a good run down on how mechanics operate, since he is a mech chief. All I could tell you from being a motor t driver, is that mechanics will be used a lot. Our trucks require a lot of maintainence to run right, and keeping all of them operational is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    All I could tell you from being a motor t driver, is that mechanics will be used a lot. Our trucks require a lot of maintainence to run right, and keeping all of them operational is needed.
    HAHA, that's 'cuz you guys BREAK 'em a lot! It's been awhile for me, but drivers liked to do stuff like, split-shifting the 6bys, dumping the clutch on GamaGoats, and such-like abuse. That's what happens when you put kids in what amounts to rent-a-trucks, LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3522 View Post
    HAHA, that's 'cuz you guys BREAK 'em a lot! It's been awhile for me, but drivers liked to do stuff like, split-shifting the 6bys, dumping the clutch on GamaGoats, and such-like abuse. That's what happens when you put kids in what amounts to rent-a-trucks, LOL!!!
    lol, Yeah they break them, I recover them, and you fix them, it's the cycle of motor t.

Or neutral dropping the LVS, putting the differential locks on the 7ton while the wheels are spinning, trying to jump the HMWWV's. Yep I'd hate to be a mechanic. It's fun fixing your own vehicle when you did something, but fixing someones other abuse is another story.

Thread Information