Marine Security Forces College Time
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marine Security Forces College Time

Hello Marines i would like to know if when i join and go into the Security Forces MOS will i have a good amount of time to take college courses. I want to obtain a 4 year degree so that i could get a job with a federal agency(checking out Secret Service and FBI and the moment still haven't decided which i would like to pursue) once i exit the Marines. I have tryed searching but just like Security Forces there are not as many threads as i would have liked. Also i would like to know after your first tour in SF if i want to reenlist in SF again will i still be doing the 2 years SF then 2 years fleet or will the fleet time be taken off or whats the deal. Thanks for any help!

You can extend your time as SF, but it's usually just for 1 more year, then you go back to a grunt unit (since you are an 03). I would think you will have time to attend some online classes (my friends in FAST and he's on facebook/AIM all the time, and FAST does more training then SF). I would not take my advice on the college part, since my only source is from a Marine in FAST, not SF, but he did go through SF training also.

Credits
    Savings
    So you mean if have like a 4 year enlistment and its 2 years SF than 2 years fleet i have a choice to extend my SF time a year so its 3 years SF and 1 year fleet or am i getting this wrong

Yep, you got basically how it goes, and if you get selected for FAST, you do your FAST term instead of doing SF, then go to the division (infantry units).

Credits
    Savings
    Cool thank you for the help now just have to wait till im out of high school so i can join already been waiting far too long

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr5 View Post
    Cool thank you for the help now just have to wait till im out of high school so i can join already been waiting far too long
    That's one long sentence you got there.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    You can extend your time as SF, but it's usually just for 1 more year, then you go back to a grunt unit (since you are an 03). I would think you will have time to attend some online classes (my friends in FAST and he's on facebook/AIM all the time, and FAST does more training then SF). I would not take my advice on the college part, since my only source is from a Marine in FAST, not SF, but he did go through SF training also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr5 View Post
    So you mean if have like a 4 year enlistment and its 2 years SF than 2 years fleet i have a choice to extend my SF time a year so its 3 years SF and 1 year fleet or am i getting this wrong
    BOTH OF THESE ARE WRONG!!!!
    FAST IS SECURITY FORCES BTW IT STANDS FOR
    FLEET ANTITERRORISM SECURITY TEAMS LOOK IT UP!!!

AS FAR AS THE EXTENTION PART OF IT GOES LETS SAY FOR EXAMPLE YOU ENLIST FOR 4 YEARS AS 0311. YOU GO TO BOOT CAMP FOR 3 MONTHS THEN ITB FOR 2 MONTHS THEN YOU GET SELECTED FOR SECURITY FORCES AT THE ENTRY LEVEL YOU GO THERE FOR 2 TO 3 DEPENDING ON HOW BACKED UP THE CLASSES ARE IN THE MEAN WHILE YOU HAVE SINGNED A CONTRACT EXTENDING FOR A YEAR. CAUSE YOUR NO GOOD TO THE MARINE CORPS IF YOUR FIRST YEAR WAS TRAINING JUST TO DO YOUR JOB. THEN YOU WOULD BE BULITED SECURITY FORCES FOR 2 YEARS AND YOUR REMAINING TIME WOULD THEN BE SPENT IN THE FLEET AS AN 0311 OR WHATEVER YOU ORGINALY WERE.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdedge View Post
    BOTH OF THESE ARE WRONG!!!!
    FAST IS SECURITY FORCES BTW IT STANDS FOR
    FLEET ANTITERRORISM SECURITY TEAMS LOOK IT UP!!!

AS FAR AS THE EXTENTION PART OF IT GOES LETS SAY FOR EXAMPLE YOU ENLIST FOR 4 YEARS AS 0311. YOU GO TO BOOT CAMP FOR 3 MONTHS THEN ITB FOR 2 MONTHS THEN YOU GET SELECTED FOR SECURITY FORCES AT THE ENTRY LEVEL YOU GO THERE FOR 2 TO 3 DEPENDING ON HOW BACKED UP THE CLASSES ARE IN THE MEAN WHILE YOU HAVE SINGNED A CONTRACT EXTENDING FOR A YEAR. CAUSE YOUR NO GOOD TO THE MARINE CORPS IF YOUR FIRST YEAR WAS TRAINING JUST TO DO YOUR JOB. THEN YOU WOULD BE BULITED SECURITY FORCES FOR 2 YEARS AND YOUR REMAINING TIME WOULD THEN BE SPENT IN THE FLEET AS AN 0311 OR WHATEVER YOU ORGINALY WERE.
    He is talking about extending your time as SF, not the contract. I know SF contracts are 5 year enlistments, since the training is so long. I also know FAST is a part of SF, because you can't get into FAST without doing SF, but they select you for the FAST units, not you selecting them.

Credits
    Savings
    He is talking about extending your time as SF, not the contract. I know SF contracts are 5 year enlistments, since the training is so long. I also know FAST is a part of SF, because you can't get into FAST without doing SF, but they select you for the FAST units, not you selecting them.
    Exactly, also are their enlistments longer than 5 years(for SF)? I personally plan on being in the Corps, basically until i can retire. But I'm getting ahead of myself, thanks for the info you Marines are giving me its helping out!

I'll have to ask my friend about reenlisting under SF, I think he told me you can depending if they need higher ranking Marines in there. As far as I know, there aren't any enlistments longer then 5 years, unless your a Naval Aviator contract under the Officer side and fly jets, because that is a 6year min commissioning term, but that is another story and a whole other side.

I'll have to ask my friend about reenlisting under SF, I think he told me you can depending if they need higher ranking Marines in there. As far as I know, there aren't any enlistments longer then 5 years, unless your a Naval Aviator contract under the Officer side and fly jets, because that is a 6year min commissioning term, but that is another story and a whole other side.
    MSG is NCO and above to re-enlist. i am entry level security forces. no there are none longer than 5 in the enlisted and if your entry level you have to extend another year active.

FAST does more training then SF)
    Unless you're on the RTT while in Security Forces. I think they train just as much if not more than FAST.

Maybe the caps locks LCpl can fill us in.

Thread Information