0621 Field Radio Operator Info.
Create Post

0621 Field Radio Operator Info.

Hello fellow Marines. I just graduated FROC, and now I'm off to the fleet, Goodbye 29 Palms... I haven't been on since back before I went to boot in May, but if any POOLEE's are interested in the 06 field, feel free to ask me questions. I'll try to answer them as best as possible.

I'm in B-Mat. What is the course like, and how different is a FROC from bmat? I mean I know classes instead of working parties, anything else different?

The course itself is really easy, They give you powerpoints and give you examples of the radios, then you Prac-ap with them. Basically play around with the radios for hours. But its a lot more strict than B-mat. You pt alot (depending on your instructors) Your room gets inspected in the mornings, Stuff like that. You'll learn like 5 radios throughout the course. Then at the end of the course you have like a field week thing, which is a joke. And you should come out with a grey belt. But try your best to get good grades on the test and a high pft score. You may have a chance to get Lance.

Looks like your still a poolee?

Let it be noted, not everyone comes out with a grey belt. It really depends on time, and your instructors.

The field op wasn't necessarily a joke, but it wasn't all that helpful. Enjoy the fleet life as it can be fun and terrible. I've been in the fleet for going on 3 months, and it's had its moments.

Anyways, keep your head up and enjoy the Corps as much as it allows you to.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Browny I squared away your membership status but couldnt tell by your MARPAT's if you are a Pfc. I gave you a Privates avatar so if you are a Pfc shoot me a PM and I will change it. You may post in all forums now and will notice the Marines only forums by scrolling down. Belated congratulations on becoming a Marine stay moto.

Semper Fi

Jim

Last edited by jinelson; 12-13-09 at 08:23 AM.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats Brownie!!!
    My MOS was 2631/2531.
    2531 is now 0621.

Communications and Teamwork is the Key to Every Successful Mission.

Good Luck to you.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Field Radio Operator is not what it sounds like. One of my closest buddies is on the 24th MEU (I think? probably wrong but their leaving in January) and he's a Field Radio Operator. He thought he was gonna be going out with the grunts on patrol, so on and so forth, nope. Doesnt work that way. Grunts will basically tell you to just show their team how to use the damn thing and get lost. Right now my buddy basically just does radio watch during field operations and works on the blackhawks in the airborne COC.

Yes, from what I've seen you're standing radio watch in the COC for your unit, however, there is a chance they will take you out on a patrol. My one instructor from Comm School said that one deployment he never touched a radio... he was kicking down doors with the rest.

Thank you jinelson for fixing my membership. I didn't like the POOLEE status.

As far as standing in COC doing radio watch, It all depends with what type of unit your deployed with. My FROC (class) was split between Camp Peneldton and Lejeune with either artty or grunt units, the rest were reservists. My instructors were with arty units and they said that they went out on patrols quite often, but did stand radio watch alot as well. So I guess it all depends. I wouldn't mind doing both.

My class was tasked out to Pendleton, Lejuene, Oki, and Hawaii.. I'm in Hawaii with a Victor unit, aka grunt unit. Now, just because you'd be tasked to a grunt unit, doesn't mean you'll be with a grunt company. They have positions to fill in the Comm Shop as well before tasking junior Marines out to a grunt line company, or Tactical Air Control Party, COC, etc.

The more things change....the more they stay the same LOL. Same old 'field ex', sounds like.

Quite frankly, I didn't learn SQUAT from 2531 school, it wasn't until I hit the FMF that I learned what to do and how to do it with radios.

The only time we did much was in the field. In garrison we literally had to find stuff for the Marines to do in the shop, because unless you were PM'ing radios or vehicles, quite frankly, there just wasn't much to do. Hopefully that's changed some.

I agree with Smitty. When I was in Somalia, we had the old PRC77"s and such. Then they issued the BN CO a new system then call CINGARS While in theatre (Cart before the horse again). I had to have the Green Berets attached to us show me how to use it. I was the only one in the Battalion who knew how and when we got back I taught all the Coom Dogs the basics. I was an 0811 but woked as on 03 in Mogadishu. The only thing our comm guys did was radio watch and helped keep CBR up.

SEMPER FI MARINES!!!

No, Sgt Lep, things are the same in the comm shop. It's busy right now as we're getting our gear together for our field op in January and then Mojave Viper in February or March. Before that, we'd sit around all day being bored as hell.

Thread Information