Create Post
    firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member

Korea POWs Sighted!

By Bill Gertz and Rowan Scarborough
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    August 22, 2003

POWs in Pyongyang
    We have obtained a Defense Intelligence Agency report that states four American prisoners of war from the Korean War were sighted in North Korea in 1993.
    A North Korean defector reported seeing the four POWs at the Changkwangsan Hotel coffee shop in Pyongyang in August or September of 1993.
    The POWs were described as being in their 50s or 60s and were under the control of the North Korean military's reconnaissance bureau. They were in the North Korean capital to give a lecture on American "armed power."
    The POWs were being transported in a Mercedes-Benz.
    The report, declassified at the request of the Coalition of Families of Korean and Cold War POW/MIAs, also said that as of 1990 at least 10 U.S. prisoners, including "an unknown number of black men," were being held by North Korea in the Sungho district of Pyongyang.
    Also, in 1986 two Americans were spotted in Pyongyang teaching "western customs, western lifestyle and English" at a North Korean Communist Party school.
    The defector stated that he estimates that as many 60 American POWs are in North Korea.
    The declassified DIA report comes after admissions by North Korea that its intelligence services kidnapped Japanese nationals and held them for decades.
    Japan's government wants the issue of its abducted nationals to be raised during the six-party talks with North Korea on its nuclear program. American POW activists want the issue of missing American soldiers in North Korea raised at the Beijing talks as well, we are told.
    =============================

I want to comment on this from a totally unusual angle.

Assume that the POWs were 21 years old when they were captured.

THIRTY some YEARS LATER, "two Americans were spotted in Pyongyang teaching "western customs, western lifestyle and English".

FORTY YEARS after capture, "They were in the North Korean capital to give a lecture on American "armed power."

Excuse my ignorance, but what in hell could a group of 21 year olds that were frozen in time for thirty and forty years have to say that would benefit anyone but historians.

If your only source of reference were WWII movies and sitcoms from the early 50's, what the hell would you know about the world today?

It would be like listening to your grandfather saying, "When I was a little boy......"

Thats groovy, like it's the cat's pajamas, ring a ding ding, Kilroy was here.

50 to 60 years old would put them Vietnam...those that fought in Korea would be in their late 60's or early 70's.
    Wrong years...unless they traveled out of North Korea...their memories would be frozen in the 1950's...not much help in 2003...
    There were some that refused to come home on the exchange of POW's after the war was stalemated.
    Some had given information to the enemy, so they refused others had married North Korean women, so they had family there, they too chose to stay behind.
    These might be the one's that were sighted.
    The one's not accountable for...are the one's sent to the Soviet Union by the North Koreans.
    There should be accounting on the fate of these POW's by the North Koreans...

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Registered User Free Member mardet65's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    First Sgt. you gotta' stop these witticisms...you're splitting my sides and making too much sence of things!!!

If these men are in N.K. I'm in Heaven....You crack me up Top.

Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy Thank God ..YOU..were never a POW

I don't ever make light out of the plight of our POW/MIA families involved ...much less the unfortunate POWs from WW2-Korea-Vietnam Wars...I know Marine POW/families, whom have never lost faith that their son will come through that kitchen door any day now...Harry-ASS-Truman made a covenant with Uncle Joe Stalin at Potsdam in 1945 to turn over all captured German-SS officers back to the Soviets in return for all USA/British soldiers liberated by the Russians in Eastern Europe...it went well until "Give 'em Hell Harry" reneged and retained a signifigant number of SS officers in order to help the fledgling US/OSS secret service...once the Russians wised up ...all Americans [3,800] under Russia's control were sent into Siberia forever...Truman was hog/tied and when Korea blew up in his face...the Russian-Red China-North Koreans detained thousands more [7,000]than WW2 American POWs....Truman's abandoment was swept deep under the rug and the 3,000+ Kissinger left in Vietnam...joined the prior group of soldiers of misfotune...so to make witty remarks about Korea/POWs in the 1950s is in poor taste... READ--- "SOLDIERS OF MISFORTUNE"...is the real expose of what it is...to be captured by the enemy and to come to grips that...no one is coming to rescue you; afterall, we are too busy making light of our forlonged POWs. Semper Fi, Mac

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    To: Lock-n-Load and any others who were offended because the meaning of my post was misunderstood, I apologise.

The news item pointed out that both Japan and the US will be bringing up the POW issue with the North Koreans at an upcoming conference.

My comments were not made to ridicule the POWs or to make light of their situation. They were an attempt to point out the absurdity of the North Koreans continuing to hold them as a source of useful information.

I'm sure our diplomats make the same point every time the issue is addressed in discussions with the NKs.

I often use humor to make or stress a point. The butt of the joke was NOT the POWs but the North Koreans.

And if any North Koreans felt insulted or slighted, that's tough ****.

Semper Fi

I often use humor to make or stress a point. The butt of the joke was NOT the POWs but the North Koreans.
    That's the message I got, 1STSGTMIKE. Joke is on the NK's, not our POW's. I still remember the "Hawaiin Good Luck Sign" displayed in propoganda photos by the captured U.S.S Pueblo crew.

Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up I Accept Your Apology

First Sgt/Mike...thx for clearing it up...no problem...Semper Fi, Marine

Registered User Free Member mardet65's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by lurchenstein

That's the message I got, 1STSGTMIKE. Joke is on the NK's, not our POW's. I still remember the "Hawaiin Good Luck Sign" displayed in propoganda photos by the captured U.S.S Pueblo crew.
    That's the message I got as well... keep using your wit and good judgement first Sgt. it helps relieve the tightas*ed PC of our society.

Sometimes it scares the hell out of me when so many of us think alike! LOL (Keep it coming Mike!)

Thread Information