Marriage (Again)
Create Post

Marriage (Again)

Hello again Marines. I have a girl I've been with for 5 years, my high school sweetheart. She is currently going to college, and will not be finished for another 3 years. If we chose to get married after I completed SOI, what kind of pay am I looking at? She will be going to school so I will be living on base and she will be living in FL on campus. I've been doing all sorts of research but have found no helpful answers. Say, as an E-3, with her going to school and out of state from where I'm stationed. What kind of income are we looking at monthly? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRichmondKid View Post
    Hello again Marines. I have a girl I've been with for 5 years, my high school sweetheart. She is currently going to college, and will not be finished for another 3 years. If we chose to get married after I completed SOI, what kind of pay am I looking at? She will be going to school so I will be living on base and she will be living in FL on campus. I've been doing all sorts of research but have found no helpful answers. Say, as an E-3, with her going to school and out of state from where I'm stationed. What kind of income are we looking at monthly? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Don't get married!!!! thats my advice

Marriage is a lifetime commitment. I think you should let her finish college, and you should wait until you are at least a Sgt, if you plan on staying in that long.

2009 Military Basic Pay
    Enlisted Members
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/fy200...lless.-uVM.htm

The pay you will be looking at isn't going to be much higher then what you get now. I say that because if she is planning to stay at the school she is at currently and not live where you are stationed then you will not get any housing allowances (BAH) or COMRATS if I'm not mistaken. You won't rate to live anywhere but the barracks until she moves to where you are stationed. The Marine Corps will only pay you for where you are stationed because as far as they are concerned that is where your family is supposed to be as well.

As a suggestion I don't ever recommend trying to hide these details and get married anyway to try and collect the BAH and extra pay, if your command finds out you will get a audit done in 3270 and all your pay will be docked until the excess money is repaid to the Marine Corps that you didn't rate. Plus you could face possible NJP depending on the command policy.

If she plans to move to where you are stationed and all that then here is where you can find the local BAH rates, http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html

Rates vary per rank, location, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    The pay you will be looking at isn't going to be much higher then what you get now. I say that because if she is planning to stay at the school she is at currently and not live where you are stationed then you will not get any housing allowances (BAH) or COMRATS if I'm not mistaken. You won't rate to live anywhere but the barracks until she moves to where you are stationed. The Marine Corps will only pay you for where you are stationed because as far as they are concerned that is where your family is supposed to be as well.

As a suggestion I don't ever recommend trying to hide these details and get married anyway to try and collect the BAH and extra pay, if your command finds out you will get a audit done in 3270 and all your pay will be docked until the excess money is repaid to the Marine Corps that you didn't rate. Plus you could face possible NJP depending on the command policy.

If she plans to move to where you are stationed and all that then here is where you can find the local BAH rates, http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html

Rates vary per rank, location, etc.
    Thanks so much very helpful, I was just not sure how the BAH would work if she couldn't come to live with me because she was enrolled in college. Sucks that I wouldn't have any extra cash to send her but I can see why they do it. Again, thank you Marine.

No problem, best of luck

Thread Information