not too excited about my mos
Create Post

not too excited about my mos

my recruiter told me I got motor T transport but i'm not interested in driving trucks. I know in this field I can be a mechanic and that is actually what I want to do so what are the chances that I'll be a mechanic instead of driving the vehicles or will I be doing both. I just want some reassurance that I'll be working on vehicles not transporting things

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your contract means sumpthing,,,,,,Press for it, or give in. Your choice.

I just want to be sure that I'll be doing what I want to do and that is fixing vehicles not transporting stuff

If you dont sign for it, then you wont get the job, unless, of course, you get it through open contract.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    So press for the answer,,,, Your job. Ain't no silver platters handed out. Go get what you want.

Exactly what the Sgt. said. That is, if you can decode it

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Common, Daniel,,,,,,Give a break,,,,I've been imbibing,,,,,

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What the heck is wrong with driving trucks? Now theres nothing wrong with fixing them either. I was a 3531 Motor Transport Operator until I made E-6 then it changed to 3537 Motor Transport Operations Chief/Truckmaster and I got to be responsible for the mechanics also. My advice to you is PM drillinstructor and ask him your question. Why? Because he has the same MOS (3537) I had but is currently serving and can better advise you than I can.

Warning he just came off the drill field 2 years ago and is one of the finest Marines I have ever known and genuinely cares about people like you and the Corps and its future. He personifies "Maker Of Marines" and will take the time to steer you in the right direction. Oh and by the way he is currently a Master Sergeant of Marines in our field. But if you trash our MOS like you have here stand by to get an ear full understood? Now I have led you to the best information that I know of the rest is up to YOU.

Jim

Last edited by jinelson; 12-04-09 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Common, Daniel,,,,,,Give a break,,,,I've been imbibing,,,,,
    Haha, sorry Sgt. I seriously has to look up what imbibing is, I had no idea. A day in which you dont learn something is a day wasted.

I asked a few people some questions about a week or two ago. I'm actually going to MEPS for MT this month. Here's what they have told me. I hope this info helps you out a little bit.

(below) I asked what a normal day would look like and what types of things someone with the MOS, MT, would do.
    Depends on if you have a run or not. If you have a run you'll be getting up early and heading to the motor pool to check your truck out and drive to where ever assigned. If you don't have a run then you'll show up at the motor pool for accountability. Your Sgt will tell you what you'll be doing. Usually you just PM trucks (preventative maintence). Make sure the lines are straight and the gear is in the trucks. You do that all day, every day. You drive where you are told to go but you are in the charge of the trucks. If you are a 3531 then you would have several HMMWV licenses and a 7 Ton (MTVR) license. There are different types of HMMWVs and MTVRs but you get all your licenses while at MOS school. At the end of the day you ensure all the trucks are secured and lined up properly. You may have to work late sometimes because you'll be driving for every one else. It's the easiest job. Lots of down time so you end up getting messed with a lot. There are different assignments in the motor pool too. You have a dispatcher, publications, quality control, line NCO, tool NCO, training NCO, clerk. If you have a billet then your tasks are different than just driving.

Dispatcher is the one that logs the trucks in and out of the motor pool. Dispatcher is responsible for the accountability of the truck with the driver.
    Publications is like a library clerk. Marine keeps all manuals up to date for drivers.
    Quality Control NCO is one that checks the trucks before they are allowed to go out on the road. Ensures the truck is safe and functional.
    Line NCO is in charge of keeping the trucks up to date for certain types of vehicles. 3 classes of vehicles means 3 Line NCOs.
    Tool NCO is if you are in a motor pool that also has mechanics. Tool NCO keeps track of all tools, orders new ones and maintains.
    Training NCO is Marine that schedules all training and logs training. Training is rifle, swim, physical fitness test, preventative classes and things like that.
    Clerk is in charge of submitting the accountability report to the Company. Clerk keeps record of personal information for every Marine in platoon.

(below) Same question...i think ;]
    Well....I did small maintenance on my trucks, the mechanics did the big stuff. We had to keep a log of driving so I was never overworked as far as driving went, which was cool.When I was in Okinawa I drove all over the island , which was great. In NC, I drove to Camp Lejeunne 5 days a week when I was the Headquarters Duty Driver. I was driving a small Dodge Rampage at the time back and forth transporting paperwork to the HQ building, or picking up supplies or dropping off small supplies. If the whether was bad I would drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle. When I went in they wanted me to go in open MOS, and take my chances. NOT a good way for me, when they guaranteed me 3531 I took it. I don't like to gamble and I enjoyed driving stuff. Know what you want and go after it. Be careful as far as MOS, you dont want to be stuck with something you hate....Remember you do have options, chose wisely and get into what you enjoy and what will be useful when you get out.

Pride and confidence are the biggest thing employers look for, Marines are very qualified there...

I hope my info helps. Good luck to you. If you have more questions holler back.

thanks for the info poole sokol but thats for motor vehicle operator(3531) I do not want that. And jinelson I don't think anything is wrong with driving trucks it just that i'm not interested in it. I'm hoping to get 3521 and I'm just wondering if there was a chance they'd toss me into 3531 which I dont want to do. I just have a gut feeling there going to give me 3531

You sign for a field and the Corps puts you where you need them. Its the need of the Corps over your wants. Only way you will get that MOS for sure is if you go reservist and there is that kind of reserve unit around where you will be living.

Thread Information