Tattoo Keeps Man Out Of U.S. Air Force Basic Training - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've heard ridiculous rumors about Marine tattoo rules...especially for officer candidates. Stupid. I hope they relax the rules like usmcfreak was saying.

BTW, the Army salutes in PT gear as well. And if you ever find yourself in an Army school, Marines have to follow suit. They also sing in formation while marching. Trust me, its all much gayer than it sounds (and I realize it sounds pretty gay). Hooooah, Sarn't!"

Quote Originally Posted by usmcfreak05 View Post
    This hole tattoo policy stuff is a bunch of crap because they say its aimed toward recuriters and drill instructers but yet marines and people in general are still going to get tattoos. I am stillin getting my sleeve done no matter what though. the rumer mill says the tattoo MARADMIN is gonna get lifted once the new commadont takes place because he has a sleeve. but everything is to involved with politics and they dont even care what anyone says.

Please learn how to spell, first off.

Second, I'll bet a third of my months' pay that no General Officer has a sleeve tattoo. I've been around MANNNNY of them since I've been here, and I def. saw none of that.

I'd sure like to know who runs YOUR rumor mill. They're full of crap

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    Hurts less than one would think
    Especially after a few "pain killers."

I have 4 tattoos and i have to get a waiver for 2 of them because there on my hands but i never expected to have to do that. When i think about Marines i always think of some badas$ motherfvcker with sleeves. I never thought that i might not be able to get into the Marines because of some tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine91 View Post
    I have 4 tattoos and i have to get a waiver for 2 of them because there on my hands but i never expected to have to do that. When i think about Marines i always think of some badas$ motherfvcker with sleeves. I never thought that i might not be able to get into the Marines because of some tattoos.
    That's why I always tell people to wait, I didn't get any of mine until I got out of the Corps. Semper

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    BTW, the Army salutes in PT gear as well. And if you ever find yourself in an Army school, Marines have to follow suit.
    Thank G-d this didn't happen at Meade. The only salute I would have given an officer if I were in PT gear would be the one finger variation.

First off let's address the saluting...you were making fun of it...Why?? The Army and Air Force call it a PT uniform. They may salute uncovered and therefore saluting in a PT uniform makes sense. I have see Marines salute in PT uniform. At PI a SGT was wearing his starched cover with his PT uniform. When an officer approached, he saluted as per USMC policy about saluting covered and uncovered, armed and unarmed....remember those regs?

Tattos...now that is a different issue. Personally, I don't have a single tattoo and that is my personal choice. What bothers me is that whether or not tattoos detract from personal appearance is a justifiable reason to deny enlistment or even forced discharge. I have friends who have been judged solely on the tattoos and that is wrong. I heard some of my fellow teachers making remarks about a man who had tattoos and his son (a Jr at our school) with the strange hair. When I first met the man about 5 or 6 years ago, I was taken a bit aback by his numerous tattoos. What I soon learned was he was a better father than 95% of the dads. He spent most of his free time with his son doing whatever they were doing...going out to eat, playing video games, going to martial arts lessons, etc. If we needed volunteers for anything at school, he was always glad to help if he was not working (he holds two jobs! One is a regular day job and he wrestles on the weekends) I got to know him and he is really a great guy. He just set up a fund raiser with the Carl Perkins Center (Child Abuse Center) and he and his son are tag-teaming. I guess all those tattoos made him a bad guy...???

I also have other friends, like Rocky, who are great people. I am glad I got to know Rocky before I found out he had the tattoos. Not because it would have made any difference, but it just reinforced my idea about what external indicators like tattoos really mean...its a personal choice.

I have had friends who were discharged for "personal appearance" because they looked fat. A really good friend of mine aced his last PT test just a month before he got the boot.

I get overly worked up on issues like this. Having tattoos does not make one person less able than other people. Before I retired, whether in the Corps or National Guard, all I wanted to know was...Do you have my back? If the answer is yes, nothing else mattered..race, personal appearance, etc.

Semper Fi Rocky
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    The Air Force salutes in PT gear??
    It is a new change .

There was a female on the news here in Pittsburgh with the same problem.They are going to let her ship after reviewing her case.

Aye Gunny, some folks I meet expect me to be some kind of hardass with at least some sort of criminal record because of my tattoos but are surprised that I have manners (I credit my dad for teaching me good manners early on in life) and am pretty easy going. But it's the stigma that comes with having tattoos, especially if they're larger tattoos or if you have a half or full-sleeve. And then there's the public perception that comes with certain designs, like spider webs on your elbow, celtic crosses, black widows, etc. I have spider webs on my right elbow but I've never been to jail and I'm not some thug. I got them because it was a design I liked and it fits/works well on the elbow which is a difficult spot to tattoo, and it hurts like hell haha. But this conservatism will eventually turn away alot of potential servicemen and women which the top brass will only realize too late and damage a military tradition that has been around almost as long as any of the branches. Here's a link to a good blog post about tattoos and the military although is Army oriented it still helps relate the ties between military service and tattoos: http://cruelkev2.blogspot.com/2009/0...-and-army.html

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I just read that the Air Force is scrapping their whole new tattoo policy and is starting over. Anyone in AF DEP with tats that were waivered is OK to ship.

http://www.news10.net/news/story.asp...=71300&catid=2

My arm is sleeved out the Corps had no problem with it. I pretty sure they changed the tat policy after i got out but this is retarded! GD Chair Force!

They have changed the policy, all I really know about it is they don't want sleeves, and obviously no hand or neck tattoos. I really think it depends on your command as well, I've heard of Marines getting **** for getting a tattoo that's visible in pt gear. I've gotten 8 tattoos since I enlisted, two of which are on my forearms, as well as both triceps and the inside of my left bicep. I haven't heard a word about them, course that could be partly because I'm a nasty Reservist

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by William Hardy View Post

Tattos...now that is a different issue. Personally, I don't have a single tattoo and that is my personal choice. What bothers me is that whether or not tattoos detract from personal appearance is a justifiable reason to deny enlistment or even forced discharge. I have friends who have been judged solely on the tattoos and that is wrong. I heard some of my fellow teachers making remarks about a man who had tattoos and his son (a Jr at our school) with the strange hair. When I first met the man about 5 or 6 years ago, I was taken a bit aback by his numerous tattoos. What I soon learned was he was a better father than 95% of the dads. He spent most of his free time with his son doing whatever they were doing...going out to eat, playing video games, going to martial arts lessons, etc. If we needed volunteers for anything at school, he was always glad to help if he was not working (he holds two jobs! One is a regular day job and he wrestles on the weekends) I got to know him and he is really a great guy. He just set up a fund raiser with the Carl Perkins Center (Child Abuse Center) and he and his son are tag-teaming. I guess all those tattoos made him a bad guy...???

I also have other friends, like Rocky, who are great people. I am glad I got to know Rocky before I found out he had the tattoos. Not because it would have made any difference, but it just reinforced my idea about what external indicators like tattoos really mean...its a personal choice.

I get overly worked up on issues like this. Having tattoos does not make one person less able than other people. Before I retired, whether in the Corps or National Guard, all I wanted to know was...Do you have my back? If the answer is yes, nothing else mattered..race, personal appearance, etc.

Semper Fi Rocky
    Bill

Thank you Gunny .
    67 Tattoos ( 2 Full Sleeves, 2 Chest Plates and 2 Neck Pieces ).

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

The ridiculous tattoo policy was one of the main reasons I chose to leave the Corps after 10 years. Tattoos and the Corps are a tradition and go together like peanut butter n jelly. As a young Marine I couldn't wait to get the Eagle, Globe and Anchor prominantly inked on my forearm where everyone could see it! soon after I added a portrait of Saint Patrick on my other forearm. 8 years later when I was denied for an officer program (MECEP and WO) for the 5th time and was told by a senior Officer in my command, "Ken, when is the last time you saw a commisioned officer with visible tattoos?" I knew it was time to move on.. I even caused a stir back in 2003 when I wrote an article in the Marine Corps times about it.. had my email blown up both good and bad for that one.. hahaha

Now, I'm fully sleeved and serving proudly with several Marines at my department on the civilian front..

Semper Fi.

Thread Information