Experiences in Vietnam - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The right to disagree

That's a right that's nonexistent when your in the military, especially the Marine Corps. "Yours is not the question why, yours is but to do and die". It's not just some fancy saying, it's a fact. I enlisted in 62 when I was 17 and went to Nam in 65 when I was 19. I didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground. My entire belief system was contained in the Marine Corps handbook which was drilled into my head in boot camp and remained with me, to this day. I didn't get into any "heady" discussions over there because everything was clear and simple, we were the good guys and the VC were the bad guys. The object was to stay alive.
    Being an inquisitive person, one of the most difficult times in my life was the complete and utter lack of freedom, especially in boot camp. The ONLY freedom you had (other than breathing) was opening your mouth and "verbalizing". More than once I did exactly that and paid dearly (physically) for it. It did allow me however to preserve a tiny part of my identity of who I was/am over and above being a Marine. Now, ironically, after getting out in 66 and starting college in 69 I found out in college that freedom ALSO entails the right to express yourself, ie, being able to disagree WITHOUT being condemned for your beliefs. When I began college I was one of the few Viet Nam vets in my class and highly respected. Once the war shifted in the latter 60's and I ended up teaching as a TA, and having 2 classes of 20 students each quarter, along with my own full course load, I realized that the majority of the male students I had in my classes were there specifically to get out of going to Viet Nam. My status also changed from a hero to a baby killer. I need not tell you how diffcult it was for me to "shut my mouth" and try to maintain some objectivity and NOT insert my own personal opinions (as you mention about most of your profs) even though I had that right.
    The primary thing I learned in college is maintaing an open mind and accept the fact that wer'e all in this together. Even though I resented them and their beliefs/opinions I recognized their actions were from a book, not experience. And as I said earlier my beliefs were from a book; the Marine Corps Guidebook. However I was lucky because not only did I return, I could temper all these things I was learning in books with the experiences of war, where the learning curve is steep; you fck up, you're dead. I continue to have strong feelings about freedom, the Marine Corps and my country. However I now maintain a strong, steady and healthy skepticism about what our government does. When you're young and dumb you're easily led. Not since then. There's a poem within which there's a line ;" no man is an island entire of himself". Once the fcking lead starts flying and you hit the deck you realize how bogus that line is, even if you're a unit and have your fellow Marines around/next to you. Same was true in college, an entirely different setting. I was again by myself. Now, however, it wasn't bullets but rather ideas/thoughts/beliefs. And those things I continue to deal with everyday of my life and will continue to till my final checkout. When again, I'll be all by myself.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I can tell You this though while at Quantico I was with Guard Co. when the Anti War Riots were going on in D.C. they flew us onto the Lawn of the Whitehouse.225 of Us all had Helmets on Gas Masks and all carried 12 Gauge Shotguns @ 45.Pistols@Live ammo.The Freaks AKA.Hippies were Partying @ Raising Hell.We had our Chit so together not once did We break Ranks.Then It finally struck Me what a Great Country America really was Kids getting away with Protesting their asses off.Then I knew inside what I had fought for the Right of Freedom so these Kids could speak their Mind without Us blowing their asses away.I Felt Proud of being an American @ most of all a United States Marine

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne3000 View Post
    I am in college and have a class on Vietnam. I'm doing a paper and was looking for some help. I just wanted to find out whether or not any of you guys who went over didnt want to and were dis enfranchised due to the lack of public support towards the end of the war. Any help is appreciated and hopefully the question is clear enough.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "disenfranchised?" I was never denied the right to vote or denied any other legal right or privilege except as normal under military discipline.

I also enlisted in the Corps willingly after many years of dreaming of that goal. I entered the Marines immediately after high school and just after the last Marine combat units were pulled from Vietnam.

However, when I was on Okinawa almost a year later, my whole unit got packed up and sent over. I was willing and happy to go as were the majority of the other Marines in my unit. I think most of the SNCOs and some of the officers weren't too excited as it was a return trip for them, but they did their duty and I never heard any *****ing from them.

I look back and I know I had some scary, bad times there (not as scary, bad as some of the other guys here). However, I had some good times and learned many things about myself and the Marine Corps. All-in-all, I'm glad I served in Vietnam and am proud of my service. My only regret is my father didn't live long enough for me to sit with him afterward and discuss some things that had gelled for me.

I was called a baby killer once after I returned by some stupid 18-19 year old girl. My reply was, "Yep, and when properly cooked they taste great." She ran off screaming and crying. I walked away smiling. F**k them and anybody who looks like them.

Credits
    Savings
    Semper Fi Big Wayne.
    Foxman siad it well,no intent of abuse .
    Touchy question you have to admit.

I will also answer in the positive of God-Country-Duty

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    BJK..i wanted to stay in and do another tour but because of all the crap back here in the states they could not guarantee a second tour...this was in 70....was a big let down...also when landing here in the states was told by those in command....keep a low profile...your not very well liked here....after what we went threw...for what we were thought was right...we were to keep a low profile....looking at the post Big Al posted about those today who claim to be nam Vets...as compared to the actual number....dam..aint life a hoot

Montanna I was sorta like you after I got back thats probably why I never shipped over. But damn after talking to a lot of the guys here and on acouple of other sites likeTWS in the night when memories come back I sure feel guilty like I didn't do enough when I had the chance. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. I guess you coiuld call it delayed survivors guilt. If I had the chance that is one thing I would do differently.
    Semper Fi
    Jack

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    thank you all for your responses. i realize Vietnam and the questions i posted are a very touchy subject and i appreciate no one taking it as disrespect or anything. I know that the military was not treated to well upon returning home and I was hoping to do my research paper on this topic but as I said above, I cant find anything online about it so I may have to switch to a different topic. Thank you all again. Semper Fi brothers.

Looks like we don't have the info he seeks. Reality check,,,,,moving on.

[Reality? We don't need no stinkin reality}.

It don't mean nuthin.

By the way, I was spit on in Winter Alphas, Lindberg Field, San Diego, 1972. I'm done. Sparkie out.

experiences in Viet......

Well, in '65, I was 17 and in the 10th grade. I stopped my school, and enlisted in the Corps for 'Hollywood'. Our Hootch was just at the airport fence, and other than that it was great. I wanted to do it my way and thats exactly what I did. I went Aviation, and became a Jet-Mech. Loved it. Hit Danang on 31 Jan., '68, and attached to VMF(AW)235,F-8's, 'The Death Angles', as Plane Capt. I did as much TAD as I could so as not to get bored. By '69 I decided I wanted to be a Crew Chief on H-46's and did. That was the best duty, being an MP attached to the 23rd Americal in Chu-Lai, had to be second. When I recovered from my med-evac, I completed my schooling. The Corps decided I'd get the GED while at Beaufort, so each day for a week we were sent to the Library and took a test. Did good without studying. Then as stated after the Hospital at NAS Memphis, went back to night High School and finished. I wouldn't change a thing. At 41 I couldn't do the different jobs I had been doing, so the va sent me to college for Electronics. In each History class Vietnam was 'NOT TO BE MENTIONED'. I got a taste of the hippy garbage when I was on extension leave, I was beat silly by 6 big ole hill-billies, just for being a Vietnam Marine. Spent 3 weeks in recovery and was really glad to get back to 'Nam, and Fly. I certainly got 4 of them good before they put me to the ground. I had wanted to stay in for 20, but instead had to take a PDRL. The teachers of today are whats left of the hateful hippy movement. They are re-tireing now most of them. But a lot of them went to politics, and one for sure now is a mad-woman speaker. Hope you find something else to do your paper on, as not many Marines will put the Corps down. I'm a better man today because of what I did. I would be nothing today had I not chose Our Marine Corps. OO-Rah! Semper Fi, and Ready-APP.

I wasn't in Vietnam, but I am old enough to remember the way vets were treated by many civilians. I've seen them spitting on military at airports and cursing anyone in uniform as a kid in California. Yeah, I remember some of that stuff and the media coverage. It didnt keep me from enlisting when I was 19, though. I had a similar project in a college Foreign Policy class I took, it was a very good experience after I was all done with it. I think your project will be a good experience for you, and I'm glad to see a lot of our veterans posting.

I've spent a lot of time in college since and yes there can be a liberal slant. Sometimes sickeningly so. I did learn a lot and I've sensed that even today, that many military people are not so welcome by college teachers. I'm very proud of my service of course and I'm also glad I've had the opportunity to be educated. There were a few professors who actually appreciated some inputs from a vet, but not so many I can say. Stay focused and always aim to better yourself, it will pay off.
    Semper Fi Brothers!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    BigWayne3000 please do your report based on the perspectives and views that you have heard from. It needs to be heard over and over every day to educate those who come into the ages. It also needs to be heard to honor and celebrate those who gave their last full measure of devotion to their Corps and country. I have watched you as you grew from a wannabe to a Poolee pup and now Marine and you have served us well. I have the utmost faith that you will convey this ugly period of valor with a genuine and unique perspective. Good luck and I hope that you keep us updated.

Semper Fidelis

Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

What are you really looking for ?

I am in college and have a class on Vietnam. I'm doing a paper and was looking for some help. I just wanted to find out whether or not any of you guys who went over didnt want to and were dis enfranchised due to the lack of public support towards the end of the war. Any help is appreciated and hopefully the question is clear enough.

Credits
    Savings
    Tell them the booze was terrible, the pussy was well used but the company was great, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat

Maybe you should write about how buddies stuck together while over there. Many refused to be evaced because they didn't want to leave their comrades. I wrote an essay in an English class at college about my tour in Nam and got one of my best grades. When I got back, I was at Camp Lejune and we were on stand-by to go to the Kent State riots. We didn't go, the National Guard handled it. I don't know how I would have reacted if I was sent there.

Well I was seventeen and I joined the USMC in June 1967. Course I had to get my mom and dad to sign. I also got recruiter to promise to go to MCRD at San Diego(Illinois sent recruits to both pending on need). I did not want to be drafted for something of such importance in the future do one's life. Never got a draft card...ha! When I finished boot and combat training I still wasn't eighteen so had to wait. I could have gotten out of going to Vietnam at this point because the Marine Corps wanted to put me somewhere. Well I qualified to go to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California. This was an open Army Base just a short walk to Monterey and the wharf. We studied Vietnamese eight hours a day, five days a week, for three months with weekends off(except for those who pulled duty that weekend). Then it was off to Vietnam, landed in DaNang late April of 1968 and hooked up with Foxtrot Co. 2/26 3rd MarDiv, just as they had finished and left Khe Sahn.

Thread Information