College + Marines = Problems?
Create Post

Question College + Marines = Problems?

Hello,

I am in the midst of filling out my enlistment paperwork but before I finish I had a few questions that I didn't really trust my recruiter to answer.
    I am in college and from what I have been reading on these forums I would not be able to take any course for perhaps 6 months after basic. I want to become an MP, how long is the training for this? Also, am I to assume that I WILL be deployed to the middle east after this training is completed?
    I am very determined to continue college (I currently hold two jobs and full time school) and am concerned that I won't be able to finish by the time my enlistment is up.

Thanks in advance.

Go reserves, that is what it is meant for, to serve your country, but still uphold your current civilian life and attend college. But the downfall to it is, you may not get the MOS you want, depending on what your closest reserve unit has.

For what you said above, most recruiters are honest Marines, yeah sure you will get those who don't care and just want a contract, but that will go for anything, that 10%.

For MP, you will go to bootcamp (not basic), then to MCT, that is 4 months, then off to MP school in Missouri, that is about 9 weeks long. So you are looking at least 6 1/2 months of training, that is not including the wait time to pick up for MP school.

There are many programs out there that will let you attend college while still become a Marine, just ask your recruiter about them.

Thank you for the quick reply!

The one problem I have with joining the Reserves is that I am looking for a full time job with the Marines. I'm not sure if that's how it works though. If I have to wait for an extended period to continue college it's no problem. The main thing is having a good job for my son, benefits and all.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post

For MP, you will go to bootcamp (not basic), then to MCT, that is 4 months, then off to MP school in Missouri, that is about 9 weeks long. So you are looking at least 6 1/2 months of training, that is not including the wait time to pick up for MP school.
    Depending on how long the wait list is. We had Marines waiting to be picked up for about 4-6 months. Meaning, they sat around and didn't start training until there class picked up.. So don't count your eggs till they hatch with any MOS..

You can still go to college while active, I would just suggest taking online classes if you can. MP's schedule is propbably the best you'll get as a low-grade in the Corps. MP's generally (depends on the base) work 15-days a month, 12-15 hours a day. I believe it's 3-4 on, 2-3 off, and every other weekend. It's really not that bad...

As far as training, like was said earlier, boot + MCT = 4-4.5 months. After MCT, you'll go straight to MP school, I waited two weeks to pickup, but it can be anywhere from one day to several months. MP classes usually pick up once or twice every month or two I believe. So, after all said and done, my training was a little over 7 months long. Keep in mind, this is all pipeline...if you get hurt anywhere along the lines, that's not included. MP school is now 13-14 weeks long, instead of the 9 weeks.

This extended time gives you the Humvee license and some extra crap like corrections training (which no one cares about).

I think I covered everything...oh, and you will HATE your life on Ft. Lost in the Woods. Worse than bootcamp, I swear.

I'm an Active duty Marine right now and also attending college. If you already have credits you can certainly complete a 4 year degree before your first enlistment is up. You'll also get appx 20-25 transferable credits (electives) from boot camp, MOS school, and various other training you'll do in the Marine Corps. And the Marine Corps will pay for it all, up to 4500 bucks a year (about 18 credit hours at 750 per course) as long as you keep a 2.0 gpa. Find a local CC to wherever you're stationed that has 300 dollar courses and you're golden.

Don't forget to look up your ACE accreditation you receive from military schooling. You probably won't get much from BC or MP school, but it should be worth a full class or two...which will save you some money. As far as online institutions go, I would recommend the American Public University System (APUS) which is made up of American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU). They typically have 8-week semesters (vice 16-week). You will have a hefty workload but the shortened semester helps with a military schedule. Classes are 250 a credit hour. Teachers are mostly professionals in their field rather than academics, so they will know what they are talking about from practicing it, rather than just theory. There are a lot of professors with military experience; both current and past and a lot of students are in the military (I would say the majority...but they are getting more civilians as well). As far as going to a brick and mortar institution...I've heard that its happened, but I've never met anyone directly, or second-hand, that's done it. I know people that have tried to get into CCC in Jacksonville, but they were told they couldn't by their 1st Sgt.

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    Don't forget to look up your ACE accreditation you receive from military schooling. You probably won't get much from BC or MP school, but it should be worth a full class or two...which will save you some money. As far as online institutions go, I would recommend the American Public University System (APUS) which is made up of American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU). They typically have 8-week semesters (vice 16-week). You will have a hefty workload but the shortened semester helps with a military schedule. Classes are 250 a credit hour. Teachers are mostly professionals in their field rather than academics, so they will know what they are talking about from practicing it, rather than just theory. There are a lot of professors with military experience; both current and past and a lot of students are in the military (I would say the majority...but they are getting more civilians as well).
    And the books are free!

Thread Information