Remember Pearl Harbor
Create Post

Remember Pearl Harbor

Veterans remember Pearl Harbor attack

Jasmina Meyer, Highlands Today

Gene Kissner, treasurer, shows copies of rare photographs taken during the attack of Pearl Harbor during an interview recently at the Military Sea Services Museum in Sebring.

By JOE SEELIG
    Highlands Today
    Published: December 5, 2009

SEBRING - "Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."

It's been nearly 68 years since President Franklin D. Roosevelt made his famous speech to Congress to ask for a declaration of war on Japan.

Although he never mentioned involvement in Europe, or that Germany had already declared war on the United States, the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor allowed Roosevelt to begin the larger intervention in the European theater.

Gene Kissner is the treasurer of the Military Sea Services Museum, located at 1402 Roseland Ave., in Sebring at the corner of Kenilworth Boulevard and Roseland.

The museum has a 36-page list of the names of the approximately 2,403 people who died in the raid, as well as a small section dedicated to Pearl Harbor and the war in the Pacific. A total of 1,178 people including civilians were wounded in action.

There are photos of the USS Arizona, which was sunk at Pearl Harbor. "A total of 1,177 men died on board. Only 229 bodies were recovered. The rest remain entombed in the wreckage," according to http://www.americainwwii.com/stories/shipthatweeps... .

"According to the National Park Service, which operates the USS Arizona Memorial, more than 1,000 World War II veterans die each day."

The museum also documented a little-known bit of history. At 6:45 a.m., Dec. 7, 1941, a gun crew aboard the USS Ward fired the first shots and sunk a Japanese mini-sub that tried to slip into a restricted area at Pearl Harbor.

"Most people think the Japanese fired the first shots at Pearl," he said.

"That's not so. A mine sweeper, the USS Condor, observed a ... mini-sub and notified the USS Ward that sunk it."

The mini-sub was estimated to be about 80 feet long and was painted green.

The sinking was not officially documented until several years ago when the sub was located, said Kissner.

"At 12.20 p.m. on August 28, 2002, the Pisces IV and Pisces V, two deep diving submersibles operated by the Hawaii Undersea Research Laboratory (HURL), found the Japanese midget submarine, which was the first vessel sunk in the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7th, 1941," the http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/HURL/midget.html Web site stated.

"Unfortunately, Naval command in Pearl Harbor ignored the Ward's report and the aerial attack began at 8 a.m."

The Military Sea Services Museum has a black and white photograph of No. 3 gun crew, all reservists from Minnesota, now credited with the mini-sub's sinking, Kissner said, as well as an artist's rendering of the USS Ward.

Kissner is concerned that as the generations move forward and the World War II veterans die, the remembrance of Pearl Harbor may fade into history.

"You'd be surprised how many (younger) people come in here and you mention Pearl Harbor and they say, 'What's Pearl Harbor?'" he said. "They don't even know it exists."

The museum is open from noon to 4 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday. For more information on the Military Sea Services Museum, call 385-0992.

Memorial ceremonies

The Highlands County Veterans Services Office in coordination with the Veterans Advisory Board will host a Pearl Harbor remembrance ceremony at 11 a.m. Monday at the Veterans Services Office, located at 7209 S. George Blvd., Sebring.

The service will be held directly behind the Highlands County Health Department building.

Veterans Services Director Joseph A. Dionne, sergeant major, U.S. Army, retired, will open the ceremony on the front portico of the Veterans Services Office building.

There will be a Navy bell toll ceremony as part of the proceedings for which Dionne will narrate and Veterans Council of Highlands County President Betsy Waddell, CPO, U.S. Navy, retired, will toll the bell.

The Navy bell is on loan for the event from the Highlands Waves Unit 88.
    The guest speaker will be Capt. G.B. "Hap" Stephenson, U.S. Navy, retired.

The Lake Placid Junior ROTC will assist in the program with the posting of the Colors and a rendition of "Taps."

Other participants will include SFC Joseph Tomlin, U.S. Army, who will give the purpose of the event. Denise Williams with the Veterans Services will give the invocation.

Leading the Pledge of Allegiance will be Fred Arbelo, commander of the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

Hank Marsh, president of the Veterans Advisory Board for the Board of County Commissioners, will introduce the guest speaker.

During the benediction Rabbi Lorraine Rudenberg, of Temple Israel of Highlands County, will give a short invocation for divine help, blessing and guidance.

At the conclusion of the service, Shannon Marrero will lead the singing of the national anthem and will sing "God Bless America."

VFW Post 4300

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4300 will hold a Pearl Harbor memorial flag raising service at 11 a.m. at its 1041 Lakeview Drive location.

"We're trying to get a hold of a few of our Pearl Harbor survivors, but it's hard to get a hold of them these days," said John Smart, Post 4300 Judge

Advocate and commander of the post's honor guard.

Smart said the flag-raising would be followed by a brief speech either by himself or Bob Ryon, a post trustee and assistant commander of the honor guard.

The 11 a.m. time is significant to military personnel because of the World War I Armistice held in the 11th month, on the 11th day, at the 11th hour, 1918, said Richard Nye, Post 4300's quartermaster.

VFW Post 9853

VFW Post 9853, located at 75 N. Olivia Drive, at the intersection of State Road 64 West, in conjunction with the U.S. Military Veterans Motor Cycle Club, will hold a breakfast from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., with a brief flag raising ceremony at 11 a.m., said Post Cmdr. Garry Parrish.

Parrish said they do have some members who are Pearl Harbor survivors but they have not come down yet from up north.

VFW Post 3880

VFW Post 3880, located at 1224 County Road 621 E., in Lake Placid, will have a Pearl Harbor remembrance ceremony and dinner at 5 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 5, for members and their guests.

"At that particular time we're going to say a prayer and pay reverence to honor the veterans throughout history who fought for freedom," said Suzanne Krueger, patriotic instructor for the Post.
    Highlands Today reporter Joe Seelig can be reached at 863-386-5834 or jseelig@highlandstoday.com

Source: http://www2.highlandstoday.com/conte...harbor-attack/

A borrowed photo but I think it speaks well for today.

As with 9/11 We will never forget.

Semper Fi

PEARL HARBOR*****
    Yes!!! I remember. I was a senior in High School doing my chores at Home, listening to the Radio. Suddenly there was a station BREAK with the news of the attack. I dropped every-thing headed over town. The MARINE Recruiter( who I Knew) was opening tne office with aline forming quickly."RockY" saw me and told me that I was too young (16) until Later.The area was rapidly filling with men and the recruiters were extremely busy.
    I hung around until late in thr afternoon and then recalled that I had a roast in the oven that I was supposed to be watching. Needless to say it had already burned.
    The next day, several of my classMates signed up and headed to Camp. THERE was mass confusion for quite a while. I became an Auxilary Policeman for the remainder of my
    civilian time (April 1943) and then I was heading to P.I.

Gunny

Quote Originally Posted by vmfn513 View Post
    PEARL HARBOR*****
    Yes!!! I remember. I was a senior in High School doing my chores at Home, listening to the Radio. Suddenly there was a station BREAK with the news of the attack. I dropped every-thing headed over town. The MARINE Recruiter( who I Knew) was opening tne office with aline forming quickly."RockY" saw me and told me that I was too young (16) until Later.The area was rapidly filling with men and the recruiters were extremely busy.
    I hung around until late in thr afternoon and then recalled that I had a roast in the oven that I was supposed to be watching. Needless to say it had already burned.
    The next day, several of my classMates signed up and headed to Camp. THERE was mass confusion for quite a while. I became an Auxilary Policeman for the remainder of my
    Gunny, its an honor to have a Marine of your Generation on our site. I see that you are a WWII, and Korea Veteran. I tip my hat, and toast a beer to you Sir. Semper Fi!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    Gunny, its an honor to have a Marine of your Generation on our site. I see that you are a WWII, and Korea Veteran. I tip my hat, and toast a beer to you Sir. Semper Fi!!!!
    I second those remarks Gunny, Semper Fi and thank you for your service

Quote Originally Posted by vmfn513 View Post
    PEARL HARBOR*****
    YUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!! Semper Fidelis Gunny ! A Western Maryland boy too !

I second those remarks Gunny, for a second time.
    Semper Fi and thank you for your service

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Pearl Harbor, I will never forget!!!
    December 7th is my birthday.
    Of all the days in the year to be born, just glad I was born in 1958.

I was at the VA Hospital all day today for some clinic appts. and not one person spoke about it and there was NO Memorial Service at the Chapel.
    It made me sick inside!!!

I will never forget!!!

Semper Fi My Brothers and Sisters,
    Rocky

Thread Information