Looking for a good combat knife - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Back in the old days when I was a Marine I got one of the second generation of the leatherman and used it for 90% of my knife needs and was very happy. The other 10% I ended up using a Cold Steel SRK (which I still have). A friend got back from the army two years ago with several of the army leatherman that he was issued under the RFI, those are very nice knife/tools for a lot of tasks.

Assuming that he had been issued one of those tools, what does he want a folder for? Command issues with a fixed blade knife on his gear? Prying and chopping tasks? Cutting ropes?

I think the answers here will be different depending on what he needs it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    I've looked at some of the Leatherman Tools..
    Those without folded or beveled edges dig into your hands...

Here's my basic model purchased in the late 80's, the steel is stainless and tough but the reins are not comfortable. Thought about taping it but then it won't fold up proper....

Attached Images Attached Images

I love my Kershaw. There are little features in knives that are important for individual's tastes. For example, I really prefer having Tungsten DLC grips on my knives with manual assist opening (called Speed Safe on Kershaw knives...think of it as spring-loaded, although I don't think that's how it works). Manual assist openings would be in contrast to one that would open by flicking your wrist and letting the weight of the knife swing itself open. I also prefer a tanto-style edge. I don't know if this is a surprise gift, but if you are involved in dialogue with your son about this purchase, these are the kinds of details you may want to consider. Also, a clip is essential for me.

I've never had a problem with CRKT, but that's just me.

Good luck, I'm sure whatever you choose will be greatly appreciated! I use my clip-on, folding pocket knife daily while deployed.

I found this knife when I moved into my can in Iraq..

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Gerber-...ic-Knife--1472

I love it so far.. very durable, sharp as hell, and it's an automatic. And of course, it was free! Can't beat that.

As for everday use, I have this SOG multi-tool

http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Kniv.../dp/B0019U8XKY

For everyday use I'd recommend the multi-tool.. when we were in the field I used it at least 2-3 times a day for something or another..

I have a lot of experiance with knives so I will chime in. I think the best knife you could buy would be a Zero Tolerance series 0200 or 0300. If money is not a problem look at Strider SMF series. Both brands are great and they both have a no questions asked warranty if they break. if it breaks they will fix/ replace it free.

You could also look at Spyderco and Benchmade. I would not consider any autos, but that is me. They are never as reliable as a normal folder. I have had severay break on me. As many people will tell you, you get what you pay for in knives. Higher priced knives will get you higher grade materials and better waranty if it breaks. Smith and wesson makes alright entry level knives, but they are not the best out there. I know if i were deploying I would take a Strider or Zero Tolerance with me. I have both so I know!

Good luck!

rugershooter16...you are posting in the wrong part of the forum. Open Squad Bay is for Marines Only. Read the headings over each forum.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Extreme Ratio Knives or www.topsknives.com Or Chris Reeve Knifes

Well I like the SOG Flash 2 , and the Ka Bar Mule, But the Mule is made in Taiwan. Is the 1/2 serrated a plus or more of a negative for all around general field use. He is a Rigger, although thats not the only thing he is doing now. I want this/these to be a surprise Christmas gift. And again all the input has been very helpful and is greatly appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    It can be a plus. If the straight edge gets dull, you can still cut with the serrated.

As far as being made in Taiwan, many U.S companies are manufacturing there knives over there for expense. They are engineering them here, and they are being manufactured to the demands of the company.
    Some U.S companies have the components made in Taiwan, or China, but have the knife assembled or partially assembled here just so they can stamp " Made in the U.S.A ". Check on where the SOG is made, not assembled.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhd97 View Post
    It can be a plus. If the straight edge gets dull, you can still cut with the serrated.

As far as being made in Taiwan, many U.S companies are manufacturing there knives over there for expense. They are engineering them here, and they are being manufactured to the demands of the company.
    Some U.S companies have the components made in Taiwan, or China, but have the knife assembled or partially assembled here just so they can stamp " Made in the U.S.A ". Check on where the SOG is made, not assembled.

From experience, serrated blades do not cut parachute cord as neatly as a straight edge.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    From experience, serrated blades do not cut parachute cord as neatly as a straight edge.
    Your right. A serrated doesn't cut anything as neat as a straight edge.

I love my leatherman, has a straight blade on one side and a serated blade on the other, its not too big, forgot what model it is but I got it from my dad when I was AD in 2000 for a christmas gift, I still wear it on my belt everyday, and use it just as much. even have other people ask to borrow it for a second to undo a latch on their bird or something. Too bad I couldnt use it on the flightline in the Marines, they should issue one for every plane captain IMO.

Lots of good items mentioned here. I use a Leatherman and Folding S/W knife for my usual carry around camping/daily use tools. I keep a Ka-Bar nearby for a bit heavier duty use. I find the utility of the Leatherman to be very versatile and light to carry around.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    Too bad I couldnt use it on the flightline in the Marines, they should issue one for every plane captain IMO.
    I always carried my Camillus on the flight line for everyday tasks on Helos, stripping wires, opening camlocks etc. Still carry and use it to this day. I also carry a Gerber Flik, my younger son bought me. Its a nice multitool but I think the pliers is a little for any serious work.

Attached Images Attached Images

How is the mule on one handed opening, I read the SOG has an assist.

Thread Information