Looking for a good combat knife
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1

    Looking for a good combat knife

    Semper Fi, My son is currently in Afghanistan and i wanted to send him a good folding knife. I've seen a lot of ads but I would rather pick from some based on experience. Thanks,


  2. #2
    Kershaw makes fantastic knives. Check them out, I think they manufacture ZT (Zero Tolerance) knives as well...other than that, I've heard good things from Benchmade, Ka-Bar, and Surefire. I use/carry a auto S&W everyday, but I wouldn't recommend that for in-country.

    www.surefire.com
    www.kershawknives.com


  3. #3
    Smith and wesson makes some good ones, so does SOG.


  4. #4
    I had a S&W SWAT knife and a leatherman blast muilti-tool.

    Kershaw and Gerber are very well made, Benchmade is the best but cost the most.


  5. #5
    I always had a leatherman on me. Next to my rifle that was the best tool I ever had. Used that thing for everything from opening MRE's to fixing my humvee great tool! I would suggest that.


  6. #6
    Marine Free Member jrhd97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rocky Mount,NC
    Posts
    2,876
    Credits
    12,463
    Savings
    0
    Check out Emerson. You absolutely get what you pay for.

    http://www.emersonknives.com/


  7. #7

  8. #8
    SOG knives are about the best one for the price. Benchmade is nice, but you will need to take a second morgage on your home to afford one.


  9. #9
    Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,286
    Credits
    11,105
    Savings
    0

    Sent this one to my son.

    http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-One.../dp/B000687B44

    I chose this knife for my son, when he was deployed, because it had a multi-functional with locking tools and a blade, serrated, that could be opened with a slight movement of the thumb. It was pretty quite as well.
    The other suggestions were real good. It all comes down to what the knife's purpose will be.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Well I've looked at some of the Leatherman Tools. and I was thinking maybe the Black Oxide Surge for a multitool, and then possibly still a folder for more or less an emergency type deal versus an actual fixed fighting knife. I appreciate all the input. Any comments on Columbia Rivers M16 series or maybe the SOG Flash II?


  11. #11
    Squad Leader Free Member Zulu 36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Crescent City
    Posts
    6,032
    Credits
    14,321
    Savings
    0
    Images
    7
    I've had a Leatherman tool for ages and it was the best investment I ever made. I used it a lot in Desert Storm.

    Islamifascists delenda est




  12. #12
    A friend gave me a S&W SWAT knife a couple years back. It's a rugged knife, good for everyday use but it's a bit larger then your normal folding type but if you're in a jam and can't get the blade out you can always throw at an attacker and it'll probably knock 'em out lol.


  13. #13
    Marine Free Member jrhd97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rocky Mount,NC
    Posts
    2,876
    Credits
    12,463
    Savings
    0
    While working gun shows, selling knives, I heard a lot of complaints about CRKT ( Columbia Rivers ). Most were due to rust.
    The SOG was OK.
    Victorianox and Wegner are great multi tools.
    The Ka-Bar Mule, not the compact version, the full size is tuff as they come and comes with a very versatile sheath. It is a folder.
    The Emerson, while pricey is an excellent knife. Google reviews on Emerson Knives.


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Any comments on Columbia Rivers M16 series or maybe the SOG Flash II?
    I would avoid the Columbia i remember it just rusting and be a general crappy knife. I still would say leatherman.


  15. #15
    Back in the old days when I was a Marine I got one of the second generation of the leatherman and used it for 90% of my knife needs and was very happy. The other 10% I ended up using a Cold Steel SRK (which I still have). A friend got back from the army two years ago with several of the army leatherman that he was issued under the RFI, those are very nice knife/tools for a lot of tasks.

    Assuming that he had been issued one of those tools, what does he want a folder for? Command issues with a fixed blade knife on his gear? Prying and chopping tasks? Cutting ropes?

    I think the answers here will be different depending on what he needs it for.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts