MOS question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOS question

MOS question

My recruiter asked me what job I wanted after he informed that Military Police was no longer available so I ask if combat aircrew was available as that is what Gunny Forston did and has told me his story's and it sounded like a good MOS. So three days later I signed a contract for Aircrew/flight mechanic/navigator. I'm wondering what determines which of these three you are and how much combat a Marine would normally see with this MOS. I can't find anything else on the forums or on google about this MOS, I can't even find the MOS number.

Thank you in advance, Marines.

Maybe this will help.......
    United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors
    FIELD 60/61/62 AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/606162.htm

United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors
    Main Menu
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...marinejobs.htm

Thanks for the link WMarine. From the looks of that page I should have been more specific because on there it lists aircrew/aerial observer/gunner. I didn't realize there were different combat aircrew jobs, when I mentioned it to him I was hoping for gunner

What happens if they make a cook out of you, will you still be faithful to our beloved Corps?

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    What happens if they make a cook out of you, will you still be faithful to our beloved Corps?

No.

Your contract is for a crew chief on a UH-1N/Y, a 53, 46, or if you have bad vision they will put you as a crew master on a C-130. A crew chief is also a gunner on those platforms that support it, but, there is a lot more to the job. It is a lot of testing and troubleshooting. Right now I am in flight school for the UH-1N. The thing with our contract is that you have to pass all of the schools and not get into trouble. It takes a long time to get through-- I have been in school for 15 months and I still have at least three months left.

good luck, and do it right.

Your job will really be all of those things. The training is a lot of fun and pretty intense at times. If you have bad vision you will be put on 130s. If you really want the best chance for some action I would pick uh-1s. Regardless of what you get it's a good experiance and a great job with about a year or so of training involved. If you want more info send me a message and I'll do my best to answer

I'm leaving naccs and headed to pendleton for hueys this week. I know about mech school but don't have any info on what the flight school is like or what the atmosphere is ie if your treated like kids or marines and the intensity of the training. If you have any info you could pass along that would be appreciated. Oorah marine

Poolee Johnson, I believe that these jobs depend on how many slots are open at that period in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Johnson View Post
    My recruiter asked me what job I wanted after he informed that Military Police was no longer available so I ask if combat aircrew was available as that is what Gunny Forston did and has told me his story's and it sounded like a good MOS. So three days later I signed a contract for Aircrew/flight mechanic/navigator. I'm wondering what determines which of these three you are and how much combat a Marine would normally see with this MOS. I can't find anything else on the forums or on google about this MOS, I can't even find the MOS number.

Thank you in advance, Marines.

A crew chief is a Naval Aircrewman who performs in-flight mechanical duties, doing all of the testing and troubleshooting as well as troop and cargo loading/balancing. Hueys are a popular airframe with crew chiefs because of the gun runs, but all aircrafts have airframe-mounted machine guns (except the MV-22 which, at the moment, has a cargo-strap-tied-down machine gun with plans for a crew chief operated, electric-powered nose gun in the works) After earning the qualification, a crew chief doubles as door gunner. And to answer your other question, every aircrewman who flies into combat is a combat aircrewman. It's the same exact thing. Lastly, the 61xx MOS field is where you're going to find aircrew, in particular the 617x's. (for example, I'm a 6172, H-46 crew chief)

I'm wondering what determines which of these three you are and how much combat a Marine would normally see with this MOS.
    If you are looking to get to combat and actually be in combat then being a winger shouldn't be your first choice. If you are trying to get into the fight then you don't want to be flying over it or around it, boots on the ground is what will get you there if that's what you are looking for.

If a rare thing pops up where there is available IA, PTT or MTT teams deploying that accept wingers then you might get boots on the ground in combat. A lot of mock teams like PTT and MTT have wingers with them.

My first choice was MP but they were all taken, my recruiter did this job and from the story's it sounds like he's taken more than a few dirka dirka muhammad jihad's and was hit by an RPG so air combat sounds pretty bad ass

My first choice was MP but they were all taken, my recruiter did this job and from the story's it sounds like he's taken more than a few dirka dirka muhammad jihad's and was hit by an RPG so air combat sounds pretty bad ass
    How about waving people through the front gate for hours on end? Will you curse the Marine Corps then?

idk..i'm an MP and I worked my ass off to get K9 so i wouldn't have to stand a gate for 8 hours and wave traffic and salute dependents with blue decals :P oorah garrison.

Make sure you can swim well. We have several Marines in my school that were re classed from Air crew because they couldn't pass the swim qualification.

Thread Information