College Fund question for those in the know.
Create Post

College Fund question for those in the know.

Here we go. When enlisting I was promised the MCCF. Upon reviewing my records at boot camp it wasn't in there properly, so I went through a big process to get it back in my records. Jump forward about a year...my SRB was destroyed in Pensacola, FL during Hurricane Ivan, but we were informed that electronic backups would replace most of the documents. Fast-forward to today. I'm in the process of completing separations, and I'm having a hell of a time finding out if my records properly reflect my College Fund entitlement before I take off. Can any admin. guys or people with the fund out there tell me what I'm looking for? Is it listed somehow on my BIR or as a hidden cryptic code somewhere in my records, and how should it be annotated on my DD214? Your prompt assistance will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Do you have your original enlistment papers from MEPS?

That's part of the problem. The paperwork wasn't done properly at the MEPS station, so I had to get the whole thing rectified during bootcamp, which I did. I distinctly remember the whole fun process of dealing with the Recruit Liaison and signing the finished document once it was all worked out.

That original document was destroyed during Hurricane Ivan with the rest of my SRB (before I started making personal copies of everything), and apparently it didn't make it into my digital OMPF because I am looking at the contents of the disc right now; it's not in here. I might have to call back to MCRD to find this stuff, but I don't know how long they maintain records. I would imagine MEPS also needs to keep some sort of record if they have to confer back and forth with MCRD for something like that, but again, I don't know if they would still have copies of anything on me.

I've had to fight tooth and nail to keep this benefit more than once already and frankly I'm getting tired of fighting to keep what I've earned. So, I'm basically looking to see if anyone knows if the BIR states the entitlement anywhere or what I should look for on a DD214 before I start calling multiple commands throughout the Corps to pester them about six year old paperwork. I read about a sailor who had a similar problem and was able to fix it all in a matter of minutes by calling the Navy College Fund manager, but I haven't been able to find a number for the Marine Corps' counterpart.

Sorry about the long posts, but I'm a little worked up about the ridiculousness of the whole thing (if you couldn't tell).

Thread Information