What is your goal IST before you ship out?
Create Post
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

What is your goal IST before you ship out?

It's good to set a goal and try to reach it (or exceed it) before going to RT. So, I'm curious as to everyone's goal IST is before they ship out to their MCRD!

Current IST
    Pull Ups: 17
    Crunches: 101
    1.5 Run: 13:12 (need to improve it big time)

Goal IST
    Pull Ups: 22+
    Crunches: 120+
    1.5 Run: Under 12:00

I've been working out on my so far, but since my first IST I've improved A LOT! I may go and try the P90X work out since I've heard so many good things about it. I hope it works!

My current is in my signature.

My goal (and the last chance I get is early December) is sub-9:00 run ( I will be running next to someone who has an 8:50 and ships with me, coincidentally), 12+ pullups (I hit 10 on my own recently) and 80+ crunches.

Best of luck to everyone in attaining their ideal!

I definitely agree with you about setting goals before boot camp. By the way when we get out of boot camp we will be doing the PFT which has a 3 mile run rather than the mile and a half.

My Current IST:

Pull Ups: 20
    Crunches: 128
    1 1/2 Mile Run: 10:15

My Goal IST

Pull Ups: 100
    Crunches: 150
    1 1/2 Mile Run: 8:00

Some good advice I got lately was: Don't cut yourself short. You should always strive to be the best.

My goal is rather a PFT then a IST.

20+ Pull ups
    100+ Crunches
    20:00 or so 3 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    My goal is rather a PFT then a IST.

20+ Pull ups
    100+ Crunches
    20:00 or so 3 mile.
    Yeah same here. I don't have that much time until I ship so I am focusing more on the three mile run rather than the mile and a half.

20 pull ups
    100 sit ups
    under 9 min 1.5 mi

Just need to work on my sit ups got the other two already. But I'm not to worried about those. They are the easiest to improve.

I would have included PFT, however just the thought of running 3 miles wears me out ^_^

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    i started at 5 pull ups, exactly 100 crunches, and an 11:04 run time. now i'm doing 8 pull ups (got there late, did them after PT), 107 crunches, and running a 10:30. I want to get a sub-ten run time, 20 pull ups, and i don't really care about the crunches as long as i keep practicing and getting over 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulls View Post
    i started at 5 pull ups, exactly 100 crunches, and an 11:04 run time. now i'm doing 8 pull ups (got there late, did them after PT), 107 crunches, and running a 10:30. I want to get a sub-ten run time, 20 pull ups, and i don't really care about the crunches as long as i keep practicing and getting over 100.

Our recruiter gave us some advice that seems to make sense; When prioritizing working out, put pullups and crunches first, before running. When doing the PFT if you max out on pull ups and crunches. you only need 25 points to get a 1st class. That means you can run it in like 25:30 (if I'm doing math correctl) and still have a first class PFT.

Now by no means am I saying slack (or saying my recruiter told us to slack, for that matter), but Mulls that extra 30 seconds is no where near as important as the extra 12 pull ups you need. I'd hit up every pull up program out there in order to get those 60 points you don't have. Keep pushin and pullin bro

Got a PM from a Marine suggesting these be put up. Good idea. Here's a way to score your run times, etc, to figure out where your at. I've set a goal for about 250, so whatever combination gets me there, I'm fine with. Anyway, here you go.

Males http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm

Females http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...lfitfemale.htm

Everybody should have a first class pft as a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    Everybody should have a first class pft as a goal.

Realistically, I'd like to get my run under 11:00, of course eventually getting a 18:00 3 mile. My secondary goals are to get the last 5 pullups and 15 situps I need to max those areas.

Don't want to rain on your parade trmptplyr. Running an 18 min 3 mi is a goal we all should strive for. But if you want to run close to an 18 min 3 mi in boot camp you will need to be a lot closer to 9 minutes on your IST. Even then to be able to keep that pace for another 1.5 mi would be hard.
    Concentrate on interval running 200's, 400's and 800's on some days. 1 mi repeats at max effort then rest about the same amount of time (or till you feel fully recovered) and repeat 1 or 2 more times on another day. Then one conditioning run per week 4-5 mi. If you did those three things M,W,F you'd see a lot of improvement in your run times. If your already doing something similar to that's great and continue on. I see that a lot of poolee's just run 4-5 or even more times for week at longer distances and that is not the best way to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen139 View Post
    But if you want to run close to an 18 min 3 mi in boot camp you will need to be a lot closer to 9 minutes on your IST.
    lol yeah I know. With an IST like mine I would've thought it could've gone unsaid that an 18:00 3 mile is a long term goal.

Thread Information