Questions galore!!!!!
Create Post

Question Questions galore!!!!!

Hi, I am about to start my first semester of college at my local community college and Ive decided I am going to get my bachelors degree as well become a marine. I talked to my recruiter (Sergeant Jason Fields), he said my best option is to go reserve. I believe him, when he says its the best option for me, but I want to ask questions to someone who doesn't have the distinct tittle of "Recruiter".

My plan is to attend my first semester at my community college, then go to boot camp(summer 2010). Then come back in time for a second semester in the spring of 2011. After that ill be a sophomore. Then I want to transfer to a four year college and depending on my level of success, apply for PLC.(While in my sophomore year)

#1) Can I change my status from reserve to enlisted after I graduate college. If not, once my required reserve service term is up, can I re-enlist as a non reserve?(I want to enlist, my parents want the college)
    #2) My recruiter briefly went over something about college credits, that were specifically for the military. Someone please explain this in detail?(Ill have more questions about this for sure!)
    #3) My recruiter and I met last Wednesday and he wanted to send me to MEPS this coming Wednesday. I'm not exactly ready physically(5'6@200pnds) for boot camp, but i'm working out HARD. What exactly happens at meps? What physical ability's do i need to pass the meps physical?(Like pull ups, timed run. That stuff)
    #4) Are their less MOS's offered to reservists?
    I'm sure ill have more questions. And when i think of them ill just add a reply or edit this post!

College

I'd strongly recommend you don't even THINK about any kind of college till you finish your tour in the Marine Corps. Why? 1st off you'll regret it once you enter because of the harrassment you'll get from the DI's. Remember you don't LEARN to be a Marine, you EARN to be a Marine. Secondly, whatever you may learn in college becomes wotthless once you enter the Corps, unless your talking about a mulitary college. Whatever it is you may believe in b4 you go into boot you may as well throw away because you'll generate into a full-fledged Marine in both heart and mind once you finish boot. Certainly the best thing you can do for yourself is to get into physical shape. This is another area where the DI's will ride your ass continuously. Plus when I was in, 62-66, everywhere we went in boot camp was dbl time so you best get used to runnung for hours and get to know what your "2nd breath" is as this is another of potential grief for you. Dropping out of a run is tolerated but once or maybe twice.
    After I got out in '66 I worked for a couple of years and then entered college, only because I had the GI bill as I had no money. I was one of the few Nam vets at that time shown alot opf respect, initially. After the resistance was ramped up here in the statesduring the latter 60's early 70's I became a baby killer. Don't want to tell you how hard it was to "suck it up" because in a liberal arts college (U of Minnesota) everyones entitled to their own opinion and as a matter of fact are encouraged to verbalize it. As a Gold Winger in ANGLICO who spent time in Nam I had my reputation to protect but NOT settling scores with my hands but rather trying to "reason" whit these youngsters who didn't have a friggin clue. There were some who checked my metal. And just like in the Corps, some I won others I didn't. These didn't take place on campus, that would have threatened my freedom and obtaining my degree. Mostly in bars far removed from campus. I did finally get my Bachelors degree and it was simply another good experience I had the opportunity to participate in my life. I cringe to think what it would have been is I had did this in reverse and attended college first. I never would have went in. And consequently missed out on one of the most signifiacant experiences that I've ever had. And even though college was hard, I'm hardly a mental heavyweight, it was book learning. Chances are you won't realize any of this till you get out and things "play out". But again, make it easy on yourself, you can always go to college. Not so with becoming a Marine. That happens once, when you'r a kid. As most of us were when I went in. I was 19 when I went to Nam. Age don't matter once you're a Marine. But having the physical and mental stamina is crucial. and take my word at that age it's possible. The older you get that stamina diminishes believeume. Whatever you choose good luck to you. If you can hack it and do become a Marine, you'll NEVER regret it.

You won't be able to do bootcamp in 2010 and make your 2011 spring semester. Bootcamp is 3 months, then you'll do at least a month in MCT/SOI, then it's off to your MOS school, mine was almost a year long.

I say wait until you finish your Marine training then begin college. After you complete your bachelors and your initial enlistment put in for OCS and become an active duty officer.

All you'll do at MEPS is the duckwalk, I think I may have had to do jumping jacks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GSEMarine94 View Post
    You won't be able to do bootcamp in 2010 and make your 2011 spring semester. Bootcamp is 3 months, then you'll do at least a month in MCT/SOI, then it's off to your MOS school, mine was almost a year long.

I say wait until you finish your Marine training then begin college. After you complete your bachelors and your initial enlistment put in for OCS and become an active duty officer.

All you'll do at MEPS is the duckwalk, I think I may have had to do jumping jacks as well.
    Ill have a much more in depth chat with my recruiter then.Thanks for the info GSEMarine, thats why I decided to do the extra research outside of the recruiting office.

I think I want my MOS to be "1812 - M1A1 Tank Crewman". That sounds like something I would enjoy, and be good at. Biased mostly on my height, i'm only 5'6. I figure the inside of a tank is pretty cramped so my shortness will be an advantage for once! It would be great to hear some advice or input about this MOS.

Oh and it says, "Crewman". What exactly could that detail? -Driver? -Loader?....

Maybe this will help some.......

Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions

MOS 1812 - - M1A1 Tank Crewman
    Type of MOS : PMOS
    Rank Range: MGySgt to Pvt
    Job Description: As members of an M1A1 tank crew or unit, M1A1 tank crewman perform various duties incident to the operation and maintenance of the tank, to include tactical employment, firing and maneuvering. Typical duties include preparing tanks, personnel, and equipment for movement and combat; preparation of ammunition for firing; locating targets; loading, aiming and firing of organic tank weapons using the tank fire control system; driving the tank; and performance of operator- level preventive and corrective maintenance.
    Job Requirements:
    (1) Must possess a GT score of 90 or higher.
    (2) Complete the M1A1 Armor Crewman Course, Ft. Knox, KY. (Note: Non-MOS qualified prior service reservist may be certified as 1812s after completion of a two-phased training syllabus combined into a twenty-one day attendance at the Marine Corps M1A1 Reserve Tank Commander/Gunner Course (MCRTCGC), Ft. Knox, KY. Upon completion of the MCRTCGC, the battalion inspector-instructor may certify the Marine based upon satisfactory demonstration of the core skills as set forth in the Individual Training Standards while occupying a billet. requiring the AMOS).
    (3) Must have vision correctable to 20/20. (4) Must have normal color vision.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/1812.htm

Quote Originally Posted by GSEMarine94 View Post

He can do the 92day reservist program, where it was actually made for college bound Marines. He goes to bootcamp one summer, MCT the next, and MOS school the one after that. But if he applies to the PLC program after bootcamp, he will go to OCS the summer after bootcamp, and then go to OCS between his junior and senior year.

Once you apply for PLC, you won't be able to "enlist" as you say, I understand what you mean by that, you meant to be active duty, opposed to being a reservist, yes you can, but not as a PLC, since PLC is for you to train to become an officer, so you would not be able to stay as enlisted after college. If you want to stay enlisted, don't apply for PLC, but as a 92day reservist, you can all ways finish you college, and after you get your degree, switch over to active duty (it might take a while though, but it's highly possible). Then later down the road, if you still want to become an officer just apply for the ECP (Enlisted Commisioning Program), which is for Marines with a bachelors degree all ready, but didn't choose the officer route right away, or got their degree while they were in.

For your question to reservists having less MOS selection, it's a yes and a no. It's not that theres less MOS's for reserves, but it is limited to what unit you will be closest to. Each reserve unit has a main MOS that they train for. Here's an example, I'll use Orlando. Since Orlando is a Motor Transport based unit, they made my MOS Motor Transport, but in Tampa, they have AAV's, so if you enlist under that unit, they will send you over to AAV school.

For the credits about the military, it depends on the college you are going to, some may give you extra credits for being a Marine and the training you went to (i.e., Pheonix Online), and some will not, and the amount they give you all varies.

What happens at MEPS, is just a basic physical, they check your hieght/weight standards, see if your flexible enough, your eyes, ears, just about everything, there is also a HIV and **** test they do.

Ask your recruiter more on the 92 day reservist thing. Like mentioned you go to bootcamp, mos school, and mct, each summer off. If your lucky depending on your MOS, you might get to go to mos school for a shorter period of time, if your unit goes there for Annual training. As active, you don't get a definate MOS going in. You get a MOS field. As a reservist, you have a definate mos locked on for you. HOwever. Like mentioned. You are limited to what units are around you for jobs. For instance. Motor T reservist are Providence, Orlando, Redbank, texicana, and somewhere else.

If your interested in college, and the Corps, it is very possable as a reservist. I love being a reservist. I keep my cavilian job, and get my annual training just like every other Marine. You also have the oppurtunity to deploy alot. As a matter of fact, I am getting activated tuesday. If I could go back and do it again. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    It's not that theres less MOS's for reserves, but it is limited to what unit you will be closest to.
    Okay, I understand better now. How can I find out what unit I'm closest to and what MOS they have? Also, after I graduate college, is it possible to request active duty, and retrain in a new MOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze13 View Post
    Okay, I understand better now. How can I find out what unit I'm closest to and what MOS they have? Also, after I graduate college, is it possible to request active duty, and retrain in a new MOS?
    Here is a list of every reserve unit out there. And yes it is possible, you need to wait a certain amount of time though, I know for active you need to wait a minimum of 2 years, and if you switch reserve units they might send you through another MOS school to get an MOS they need. If you were almost at your reenlist time, you can request to lat move into a new MOS, as well as going active duty, but most reserve contracts are 6 years (if you stay your current plan, you will have 2 years of reserves after college).

Ok, so is it possible to cut my reserve duty short, by going on active duty? Is their anywhere I can go to see in writing, that after a certain amount of time I can request a new MOS? And when I ask for a new MOS will I get to choose the MOS or will it be issued to me?

Thread Information