push ups
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: push ups

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

push ups

I was just wondering if anyone has any good training techniques for push ups. my IST scores are okay - 10:34 1.5 mile, 8 pull ups (last IST i got 4, they've been going up steadily since i got a bar), 107 crunches - but during PT sessions it's always the push ups that kill me. anyone have any good training techniques for amping up my push ups? i pretty much burn out at 30 or a little over (about 15 Marine Corps pushups) - i do max sets every morning but they barely go up at all.

Bench press is a great way, seeing as it uses the same muscles, but just keep at the push-ups they'll start getting easier over time man. Also, do a variety of different push-ups (wide stance, close, diamond) it centralizes certain muscles and will help you in the long run

JACK WEBBS

alright this will be kind of hard to explain online but ill try it out.

Start out on your knees
    Do 1 push up, Come back to starting position
    Then do a "dumb bell shoulder press" (without any weights)
    Then do 2 push ups, come back to your knees
    Do 2 "dumbbell shoulder presses"
    Then do 3 pushups, 3 shoulder presses
    etc. etc

DON'T REST IN BETWEEN

Go all the way up to 10. When you hit 10, do 10 again, then 9 then 8 all the way back down to 1

You'll end up doing 110 pushups and 110 shoulder presses and it kills you.
    Once you can do that semi-easily. start doing the shoulder presses with 5 pound weights.

Another way I improve pushups, is when I'm playing like Modern Warfare 2 or any other game for that mattter, I'll lie on my stomach. At the end of the game, however many times I died, I'll do that many Marine Corps pushups. Makes me feel less guilty about not doing anything, and works you out good.

One way I got really good at push ups fast was this really good workout. I did three sets of fifteen on bench press and after every set you do a max set of push ups directly after the each set. Then you do the same on incline bench and Same with decline bench. and then you can do whatever else you like to do for chest workout to finish up like dumbbell flys or something.

tabata push ups

do push ups for 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds. Repeat for 4 minutes, so you will have a total of 8 sets. This also works great for all body weight exercises.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    thanks everyone, i like the pyramid idea and the bench idea, but seeing as i don't readily have access to barbells and dumbbells every day, i'll try jensen's idea and see how it works, being that it's strictly bodyweight. i suppose i could do that once a day.

Maybe you should allow more rest for those muscles first of all. Four days a week I rotate:
    -5 max sets
    -Push-up pyramid - I go by 2's and rest an additional 10 seconds every set (2 rest 10sec, 4 rest 20 sec, 6 rest 30 sec...)
    -5 to 6 sets of a completable amount - ex: 5-6 sets of 15-20 each - point being it burns pretty bad but it is adjustable so you can at least get 5 sets of 15, and work your way up to 6 sets of 20 over time. Eventually increase to say 4-5 sets of 20-30 and so on.

Also get familiar with the bench press.

when you wake up in the morning do as many as you can. brush your teeth/shave do as many as you can urinate/do something else productive do as many as you can shower. at least that's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by OneRadRudeBoy View Post
    when you wake up in the morning do as many as you can. brush your teeth/shave do as many as you can urinate/do something else productive do as many as you can shower. at least that's what I do.
    This is the best advice I've seen. The only way to become "good" at doing push ups, pull ups, running, etc. is to do it.

Ain't nothin' to it but to do it, do max sets every time you find time to.

I do a max set of pullups, then neutrals, then chin ups then I do a max set of Marine Corps pushups, usually do them between games of MW2 or whenever I go into the kitchen.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by cmixcoatl View Post
    This is the best advice I've seen. The only way to become "good" at doing push ups, pull ups, running, etc. is to do it.
    those 3 max sets every morning with the break for shave/****/shower are taken word for word from the armstrong pull up program, i do them, but i just haven't seen many results. i just find maxing all the time to be too stressful on the CNS and not easy for my muscles to recover. i've recently adapted a program suggested by drillinstructor whereupon you do 50 pull ups in as few sets as possible in a day for push-ups where i'm going to do 250 per day, except in small non-maximal effort sets throughout the day.

you should have somebody sit on you while you do your push ups

Quote Originally Posted by Mulls View Post
    push-ups where i'm going to do 250 per day, except in small non-maximal effort sets throughout the day.
    That's the kind of approach that's worked best for me. As I get older, the approach of beating myself to death everyday elicits more negative than positive adaptations. It is good to exercise everyday though. For me this means accumulating larger and larger amounts of volume while staying relatively fresh. Also, when you want to try for a new rep PR in one set, make the day before it an easy day so you won't be too tired or sore to do your best.

As already stated, max out. That does not mean do as many full pushups as you can, that means attempt more than you can do. On the last one, you will not be able to push yourself up. DO NOT GIVE UP RIGHT AWAY! Make sure you sit there for at least 15 seconds trying to get that last one in. Someone stated every time they go into the kitchen...I did them every time I went to the bathroom, when I would come out, I would either perform a max set or as many as I could in 1 minute.

When all was said and done, I could knock out over 70 in a minute, and max at around 130 to 140. Make sure you do more than your mind allows you. It may even help to stop taking count at the beginning, but I have found the easiest way is to not try to do more than your usual, but as many as you can in a given timeframe. This will take away your preconceived limits and allow you to do more. It's all in your head.

Thread Information