Intel-is it boring or exciting - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Also, for anyone looking for a civilian intel job after the service, there are plenty that pay better than what he's offering and in better loactions than Afghanistan. $80,000 for deploying to Afghanistan is laughable.

Yes, good advice.Only $80k for someone with years of Intel experience IS very low. But what I sent you stated that the salary is starting at $80,000. It goes up to $150,000 or more. The only reason for the $80,000 is for people with nothing but a Secret clearance to enter data. And that doesn't include the hazard pay differential of 35-70% of your pay, so total of $100-200k. Only laughable to someone making much more. There are lots of folks working for much less or even unemployed. We are also looking at getting folks that have expired clearances re-newed. What is that worth to a person that let their clearance expire? What amounts have you found to be common for a deployed Intel position?

I know that this thread is pretty old, but I just got into the mix here. In your message you have MOS: 26XX, if that is so than that is a lot different than straight Intel Marine. Your MOS is going to be as a SIGINT Marine. As a SIGINT Marine you will have plenty of opportunities to go outside the wire on Collection Teams and work in the field. All you'll have to do is ask for a Radio BN. I see there are a few SIGINT Marines on here and I spent 20 years as a SIGINT Marine and did plenty of field time. If your still around and have questions let me know.

Yup, I'm still here. My MOS will be crypto-linguist, not sure of the number or if that is the same as SIGINT. My recruiter told me today I won't be behind a desk alot, if thats true, its good news for me. I still can't believe that kind of pay for some cushy job like entering data. I'm assuming those salaries are if you are contracted in the private sector and basically have to live deployed. Re-enlistment bonus is only 90k, thats alot for re-enlisting for only like 3 years, but couldn't an intel marine make more than that in a year in private sector?

You will be part of SIGINT as crypto-linguist is still a 26XX billet. You will probably also be sitting around at a desk. If you go to MCSB (Marine Cryptologic Support Battalion) then that's pretty much all you'll do. If you go to a Radio Battalion then you have a chance of being put on a collections team and go outside the wire. If your an Analyst though, you'll sit at a desk. You could also go Radio Recon if you want. We just set up a platoon for that here at 3rd Radio.

Hmmm, I'll just have to do my best to show my commanding officers I'm capable physically as well. Can't Cryptolinguist also double as translators if needed? Radio Recon, what is it?

Linguists can double as translators but it really depends on your language and where you go. While we still had some Pashtu linguists in Afghanistan we only used native speaking terps. Radio Recon is almost just like regular recon, you still go through BRC, SERE, Jump school, etc..., and you also go out with the recon guys but you do SIGINT.

Quote Originally Posted by Venge03 View Post
    Hmmm, I'll just have to do my best to show my commanding officers I'm capable physically as well. Can't Cryptolinguist also double as translators if needed? Radio Recon, what is it?
    If you'd like some straight scoop about your occ field (MOS field), drop me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for scifguard. Would Radio Recon be a viable option or is it hard to get a radio recon battalion? Also, all those schools, jump school etc have to be completed before you are assigned?

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    Pushing pins in a map??? I don't think intel Marines have done that since the Gulf War.

There are several programs such as Falcon View or C2PC that negate the need for hardcopy maps with pins. The only exception I ever saw was an infantry bn ops center where the watch officer updated movement as it was called in on the radio. Even then, that's the watch officer, not a 0231 PFC.
    I dont remember ever pushing pins on a map?

Thread Information