Intel-is it boring or exciting
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intel-is it boring or exciting

Just talked to my recruiter extensively about MOS choices. and I was almost positive I would pick intel up until I did my own research and came across the intel posts here. intel marines saying things like "you sit in a windowless concrete room all day" and "you come back from a deployment with pale skin", "you dont get dirty enough in intel" etc etc. My recruiter doesn't seem to want to give me any answers on whether intel is a desk job or not. I have high line scores(can get any job) and want to make use of them but I also want to see action. So my question is will I really be going over 400 pages of breifing a day in a bunker? or will I regularly be able to go out with recon and grunts to gather intel (if i choose to). I know about counter intelligence and that is not available to me atm. I've also read that 0203 marines can become scout snipers-how common is that. Since my recruiter doesn't feel like helping me out with jobs too much maybe you guys can help me. My ideal MOS would be one with a 70-30 ratio of action/combat/missions/outside and the 40 being paperwork/maintenance/etc. Does anyone know of a good MOS that would fit.

I can't help you with your questions, but when using the word Marine on this site, it will be capitalized at all times. It's in the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Venge03 View Post
    Just talked to my recruiter extensively about MOS choices. and I was almost positive I would pick intel up until I did my own research and came across the intel posts here. intel marines saying things like "you sit in a windowless concrete room all day" and "you come back from a deployment with pale skin", "you dont get dirty enough in intel" etc etc. My recruiter doesn't seem to want to give me any answers on whether intel is a desk job or not. I have high line scores(can get any job) and want to make use of them but I also want to see action. So my question is will I really be going over 400 pages of breifing a day in a bunker? or will I regularly be able to go out with recon and grunts to gather intel (if i choose to). I know about counter intelligence and that is not available to me atm. I've also read that 0203 marines can become scout snipers-how common is that. Since my recruiter doesn't feel like helping me out with jobs too much maybe you guys can help me. My ideal MOS would be one with a 70-30 ratio of action/combat/missions/outside and the 40 being paperwork/maintenance/etc. Does anyone know of a good MOS that would fit.
    Part of your statements are true...there are some times when you'll be working in a classified facility. If that's not something you can handle, then don't consider Intel. The safe guarding of classified materiel requires that it's housed in a secured facility per the guidlines of the United States Government and there is no way around that so being in Intel requires the use of said facilities. Even the counter-intel Marines work in the SCIF part of the time.

Now, per your guidlines of a 60-40 ratio of action/paperwork as you so eliquently put it. I would recommend going infantry and then surviving until you pick up Gunny. Then you can go outside the wire and deal with all the paperwork for your Marines.

0203 is an Intelligence Ground Officer and since you're asking about enlisted MOS's, I'd forget that one.

I apologize for not capitalizing Marine, sir.

Thanks for the advice, 0231Marine. I'm going to discuss infantry with my recruiter at the next function. I have a few more questions about Intel. As a basic Intelligence Marine, will it be all desk work? Will I ever have the chance to go into the field?

Quote Originally Posted by Venge03 View Post
    I apologize for not capitalizing Marine, sir.
    Do I look like a Sir to you?

No Ma'am. If you don't mind me asking, your profile says you entered the Marine Corps in 1988 and exited in 1989. How did you manage that contract? No disrespect just curiosity.

I didn't manage a contract like that, I got hurt and had to get out.

Run a search here for "0231". There are several active and prior with more recent experience in the MOS than I had who have made a great thread about what to expect and what you do as an 0231.

For the most part, 0231's will only get out of the wire when going to intel or joint intel meetings....or if they get attached to a counterintelligence team (a temp billet). Other than that, there are a variety of things you will be doing, most of them on a major base and involving a lot of typing and pushing pins in a map.

Infantry is a dangerous and rough life, but it's also the most important job in the Marine Corps.

If you want to get out in the field, yet still learn some kind of additional skill-sets you may want to consider the following; ANGLICO, Radio Reconnaissance, Radio Operator, I'm sure there are more. Any kind of transportation-based MOS will likely have you going out on patrols during deployment, as well. I'm not sure if you can pick up ANGLICO or Rad Recon out of bootcamp though...you might need to be an NCO first. Worth looking into though.

There are many more combat MOS's than infantry though, LAR, Combat Engineers, Tanks, any air MOS would probably be cool (air crew, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    For the most part, 0231's will only get out of the wire when going to intel or joint intel meetings....or if they get attached to a counterintelligence team (a temp billet). Other than that, there are a variety of things you will be doing, most of them on a major base and involving a lot of typing and pushing pins in a map.

Infantry is a dangerous and rough life, but it's also the most important job in the Marine Corps.

If you want to get out in the field, yet still learn some kind of additional skill-sets you may want to consider the following; ANGLICO, Radio Reconnaissance, Radio Operator, I'm sure there are more. Any kind of transportation-based MOS will likely have you going out on patrols during deployment, as well. I'm not sure if you can pick up ANGLICO or Rad Recon out of bootcamp though...you might need to be an NCO first. Worth looking into though.

There are many more combat MOS's than infantry though, LAR, Combat Engineers, Tanks, any air MOS would probably be cool (air crew, etc).
    Pushing pins in a map??? I don't think intel Marines have done that since the Gulf War.

There are several programs such as Falcon View or C2PC that negate the need for hardcopy maps with pins. The only exception I ever saw was an infantry bn ops center where the watch officer updated movement as it was called in on the radio. Even then, that's the watch officer, not a 0231 PFC.

Thanks for the response, Marines. Intel isn't what I'm looking for. I'll have to ask my recruiter about ANGLICO and the others mentioned. Aircrew as it was described to me was everything to do with the jet/helicopter, from the control systems to weapon testing to mechanics. Would you say that is an accurate description? What do these marines spend most of their time doing? Can I go to the parachute and dive schools being in Aircrew?

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    I'm not sure if you can pick up ANGLICO or Rad Recon out of bootcamp though...you might need to be an NCO first.
    For Radio Recon you just need to be at your duty station. Most of the Marines that I know in RRT got there right out of MOS school. I know we have RRT Platoons at 1st Radio Bn and 2nd Radio Bn (none here at 3rd Radio). Although I'm not sure if there are any HUMINT guys there. All I know about are us SIGINTers.

Yeah, there is more in the intel field than just analysts. SIGINT, TOPO, even Ground Sensor Platoon (although I really don't know what they do these days. About the hardcopy maps, every unit I've seen, both US and Iraqi, have had physical SITMAPS...in addition to the software suites analysts use.

One great reason to move into Intel or another line of work that gets you a Secret or Top Secret clearance is that after getting at least 4 years of experience under your belt, civilian companies will hire you for great pay in a heartbeat. My company is actually looking to hire almost 200 each of HUMINT, SIGINT, All-Source, and Collections Managers to deploy to Afghanistan for 12 months, and the pay will likely start from $80,000- $120,000 without a college degree. Practically no other jobs outside of the military can pay like that. The hiring will start in Sept and continue for the next 2 years. Drop a line if interested.

RecruiterDan, in case you haven't noticed, this thread is almost a year old.

Thread Information