While deployed is it possible to do volunteer/ humanitarian work during free time?
Create Post

While deployed is it possible to do volunteer/ humanitarian work during free time?

Are there any programs that allow deployed Marines to do humanitarian work during free time? i.e. constructing new homes, setting up proper water irrigation systems, educating the public, or other facets to benefit the civilians overseas that are not as fortunate as the great American public. Any thoughts, or experiences?

I obviously do not know what is going on overseas beyond what a biased CNN has to report. Please accept my apology for my lack of background in this department seeing as though this topic has not really been brought to the forefront of this forum. I have seen photos of deployed service members passing out candy and could not help but to contemplate the potential for good doings. Thanks Again!

absolutely, but if by deployed you mean Afghanistan or Iraq, then no.
    but if you are on west pac yes you can

Deploying to Afghanistan/Iraq is humanitarian work. What you do there will help kill people that are oppressing the local populace.

There are missions in Iraq/Afghan that you can try to get yourself augmented on, but I don't know the procedure of getting in on those. It definitely depends on your MOS, though.

MEU's are doing a lot of humanitarian work these days (if they're not in Afghan). That's something you might want to look into.

Thread Information