Marine in need of motivation
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marine in need of motivation

Hey Marines, I recently graduated boot camp on October 16th with Dirty Delta. I had 10 days leave obviously followed by 14 recruiter assisting days. When I went back to Camp Pendleton to report in the company I was supposed to pick up with was full (300 Marines allowed, 350 showed). I was put in a reception platoon along with a couple dozen Marines where we would have to wait until December 1st for the next pick up. Our 1st Sgt. decided to send us home on RA again instead of just waiting which was fine with me. Its just I feel being back so prematurely is aggravating because I have no achievement to bring back home, and I know I should be at ITB right now. It seems like a lot of bad stuff happens to me in the Marines like getting picked on by my fellow Marines at boot camp and here at my recruiting station, and other tiny stuff that turns into a distraction. Its hard to find motivation when so much crap happens, and I ask myself "why me?" when I haven't done or said anything wrong. Boot camp didn't go smooth for me, I failed table 2 the first time because I had bad magazines and a bad weapon, so I had a stoppage every 5 rounds nearly. I failed the map test, and I still can't climb the rope. I'm looking for any advice motivated Marines can give me to motivate me and encourage me/help me with. Thanks for listening.

Think of it as oppertunity. I'm at the end of my first four years in the Marines, and i have done one deployment, 2 days after i got back to the states i tore my ACL. Since then i have had 2 knee surgeries and have been on limited duty for over a year. I have constantly felt useless because i was not in Afghanistan with my unit and i couldn't train with them. But i finally told my self this is time to get stronger to get in better shape than what i was, to continue everyday learning more knowledge to perpare me for my next four years, and to spend time with my family. When i originally hit the fleet in 2007 i was home 4 times pre/post deployment and for the funerals of both my parents. I cherished the time i have. If you have time outside of what ever rigorous training you may be doing look at the other avenues that you can improve upon. Remember you have accomplished more in your short life than many have in many decades. You Are a United States Marine! That Is enough of an accomplishment as any. Stay motivated Marine, You will get yours guaranteed.

OohRah!

Everyone has their problem areas. That's what you need to evaluate. Why are they doing this? Being there and doing all you've been through (boot camp, ITB a deployment), plus some, I know people don't get picked on for no good reason, besides the usual little razzing, but I'm assuming that's not what you're talking about. Work on your weak points and become better and you'll notice the change. A word of advice, get squared away before you hit the Fleet or they'll have a field day with you. I don't want to de-motivate you, but you need to hear it. Stick with it and work on it all, and get to it. Use this time to PT your azz off and get in shape. At the gym they have rope climbing simulator thing, hit that up. You'll be fine as long as you keep a positive attitude and improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra2thief View Post
    Hey Marines, I recently graduated boot camp on October 16th with Dirty Delta. I had 10 days leave obviously followed by 14 recruiter assisting days. When I went back to Camp Pendleton to report in the company I was supposed to pick up with was full (300 Marines allowed, 350 showed). I was put in a reception platoon along with a couple dozen Marines where we would have to wait until December 1st for the next pick up. Our 1st Sgt. decided to send us home on RA again instead of just waiting which was fine with me. Its just I feel being back so prematurely is aggravating because I have no achievement to bring back home, and I know I should be at ITB right now. It seems like a lot of bad stuff happens to me in the Marines like getting picked on by my fellow Marines at boot camp and here at my recruiting station, and other tiny stuff that turns into a distraction. Its hard to find motivation when so much crap happens, and I ask myself "why me?" when I haven't done or said anything wrong. Boot camp didn't go smooth for me, I failed table 2 the first time because I had bad magazines and a bad weapon, so I had a stoppage every 5 rounds nearly. I failed the map test, and I still can't climb the rope. I'm looking for any advice motivated Marines can give me to motivate me and encourage me/help me with. Thanks for listening.
    Look killer, I am not trying to sound like a dick here, but what is your gripe? You did not pick up with a class when you wanted? You had some bad times in boot?
    I am not sure what the gripe is, but EVERYONE has a tough time in boot, weather they admit it or not. Stuff will not go the way you want it to in the Corps. That is the nature of the beast. You gripe about not being able to climb a rope, yet you are sitting on your arse waiting to pick up....When I went through boot they would not graduate you if could not climb a rope. Use your time to better yourself....it only gets harder when you get to the fleet.
    Like I said, I am not trying to be a dick, but I have a hard time sympathizing with you when we have Marines fighting in 2 countries without half the amenities and luxuries you have. Suck it up, and drive on. You are a Marine now, start acting like it and quit the feeling sorry for yourself BS.

Thanks for the advice Marines. And Sgt. you are absolutely right, every time I thought my life sucked-I thought about what my brothers in Afghanistan are doing. Thanks for bringing that up.

Suck it up you are a Marine now.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I will give you the same advice I gave a poolee the other day....

Heart will get you through more than just boot camp.

A Marine is more than a title...it's a call to duty.

One that sometimes, more often than not comes at a time when you are going to wish it didn't.

Heart will relieve you from that thought and that struggle of making it through a PT session, a test, an azz chewing,a 15-25 mile hump or anything the Marine Corps or life can throw at you!

A heart.....A Semper Fi Heart!

After your RA you will come back and get picked up and go to training.....take advantage of RA PT and build upper body strength to climb that rope.

I don't know what a map test is.....unless thats land navigation. If so study the map and compass front and back.

You can't do much about the weapon...but when you get to the fleet put ALL of your heart and soul into qualifying on the courses.

In the meantime listen to the Sgt.....as your brothers are having much BIGGER problems than you are in AZZKRACKASTAN!

Two words: Semper Gumby

I had a hard time climbing the rope in boot, and that was in the beginning of the year. With the more PT you do with your unit and such, you'll see that climbing the rope will become easier. I'm not great at it, but atleast now I can achieve it (slowly that is). I'm still working on upping my pull ups because I'm horrible with them.

Enjoy the time home, and focus on bettering yourself. Remember, Semper Gumby!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra2thief
    Boot camp didn't go smooth for me, I failed table 2 the first time because I had bad magazines and a bad weapon, so I had a stoppage every 5 rounds nearly. I failed the map test, and I still can't climb the rope.
    ... and you still made rank?

Well you're a Marine now and there's nothing any of us can do about that hehahehe,

Anyway, earning the EG&A does not instantly qualify one for superhero status....

Your civilian friends don't know as much about themselves as you now do. You should be acutely aware of some of your weaknesses and have touched on your strengths, that's a good thing on your way to knowing yourself so get busy man. It will only help build confidence and that is self motivating. You can motivate yourself you know? People do it everyday.

Like SSGT Blooper said if map is landnav? REI and other outdoor stores have NatGeo TopoMap Kiosks on site. Drag the arrow to where you would like to hump and print it out on waterproof paper. They cost about $10 per quadrangle, another $10 or more for a compass and the rest is just work and practice
    ..I failed table 2 the first time because I had bad magazines and a bad weapon, so I had a stoppage every 5 rounds nearly
    Now you know how to clear a fouled weapon. Better in bootcamp than some hostile backassward corner of the world.

--->Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Now you know how to clear a fouled weapon. Better in bootcamp than some hostile backassward corner of the world.

--->Dave
    Sounds like excellent advice from our NCO's and Staff NCO's here. Stay focused and work on what needs work, it will pay off. Having thick skin in the Marine Corps is a most valuable asset.

Semper Fi Bro!

Listen Devil Dog,

BEING A GOOD MARINE DOESNT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SHINY MEDALS ON YOUR CHEST, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT PEOPLE AT HOME THINK, IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH YOU HAVING THE COURAGE TO JOIN THE BEST MILITARY IN THE WORLD WHEN NOONE ELSE WOULD. IT HAS TO DO WITH HAVING THE HONOR AND PRIDE OF BEING WHAT YOU ARE...ITS BEING PROUD OF THE COMMITMENTS YOU HAVE MADE TO YOUR COUNTRY, FOR YOUR FAMILY'S FREEDOM... YOU MAY NEVER GET A PAT ON THE BACK FOR WHAT YOU DO, BUT IN THE END ITS NOT ABOUT THAT, ITS ABOUT SACRIFICING OURSELVES, FOR THAT MARINE NEXT TO YOU, KNOWING THAT HES TRUSTING YOU AND YOUR TRUSTING HIM, BECAUSE IN THE END NOONES GOING TO BRING YOU OR HIM BACK HOME SAFELY BUT EACHOTHER.

YOU WILL HAVE HIGHS AND LOWS IN YOUR CAREER IN THE CORPS, HECK SOMEDAY YOU WILL LOOK BACK AND MISS IT.

STAY FROSTY YOUNG DEVIL.

Look Marine I and everyone of us Marines had some hard times in boot camp. I will tell you. When I was in boot camp we had to do it all to graduate. That means even climing the rope. I just want to say do not give up on your self keep working hard at what you need to do. I was in the Marines in 1972 to 1979 and in that time I hard to work hard at it all. I was a Drill Instructor in weapons after I came home from Nam. So don't give up Marine and work at it. Rember this ONCE A MRINE ALWAYS A MARINE. And that is what it is all about. Keep up working hard and do't gtve up. SSGT. Francisco.

Credits
    Savings
    Whats your MOS RA2thief?

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    ... and you still made rank?
    Contract PFC's apparently can't lose rank unless there's an NJP.

Thread Information