Marine in need of motivation - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey MARINE (Ra2thief),

Listen up for a sec...

Be proud of where you are what you have accomplished. You have joined the Corps and graduated USMC bootcamp! Do you know how many people out there would give their left one to join the Corps!

While you have some down time, work on the things you feel you are weak on. We MARINES all have had weaknesses that we have had to overcome, it's a part of life. Work on them and improve, thats how you get better.

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!
    Use and remember these words throughout your years in the Corps, the time will come when you will have to remember it. Keep a positive outlook on everything and hold you head up high, you will get your chance but when it comes, Make sure you are Ready by giving it your all and your best at whatever you do and work hard now to get to where you want to be.

Also, remember that when some things happen, which they will, its not your fault. If you have no control over it, don't worry about it and don't comsume your thoughts by it because it will drag you down.

Stay hot on your PT and look GOOD in your uniform and work on something everyday to make yourself a better US MARINE and a better person.

And if you are around other MARINES who are picking on you or saying crap, then Pop Smoke and go away from them. Every MARINE will not be your friend, there will always be a few bad apples in the bunch so use that craziness as Motivation to make yourself better.

Hold your head up High, Keep a Positive Attitude and Keep striving to make yourself a better MARINE!

SSgt Moseley

A few quotes to Feel the Pride:

The United States Marine Corps, with it fiercely proud tradition of excellence in combat, its hallowed rituals, and its unbending code of honor, is part of the fabric of American myth. [Thomas E. Ricks; Making the Corps, 1997]

We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on? [Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983]

I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the traditions for generations of warriors past. [Cpl. Jeff Sornig, USMC; in Navy Times, November 1994]

Good morning, Marine.

These other motivators have covered this pretty well, but a few other points I'd like to toss in there.

I think when you mentioned MAP, you were talking about MCMAP, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. If thats the case, especcially for your tan belt, its more about memorizing which foot goes where on each technique more than being a killer, that will come later. I'm sure that the recruiter you're working with remembers most, if not all of the tan techniques, work with him or her. If not, grab a book or look online, its out there.

Because of the RA, you've got a GREAT opportunity. Despite what the majority of the world thinks, we all know that while in Bootcamp, we don't PT every day. You can now. PT with your recruiter, PT with the poolees, PT on your own. Read the essential guidebook for Marines, any weak points you had in bootcamp, this is your chance.

Climbing the rope is a skill. In my experience, it has very little to do with strength. I had a very hard time with it and could never finish when I was in bootcamp because I didn't have the technique down right. One day, one of the Drill Instructors (can't remember if it was one of mine) stopped me and actually showed me the correct way to do it. I shot up that rope without breaking a sweat. Once you learn how to lock the rope with your feet correctly, you barely need to use your arms. Its a hard thing to teach without being there, but maybe the recruiter you're working with can show you.

Now, as for the tough love you've been receiving here, I'm going to jump on the dog pile. Yes, bootcamp sucks. People picked on you, your weapon wasn't working, etc. S**t Happens. Learn the expression FIDO. F*** It, Drive On. I'm sure in bootcamp you heard the expression "No excuses" plenty of times. Nothing goes perfectly, you've just gotta deal with it. But I promise you, complaining about it WILL result in people picking on you. Letting people pick on you WILL result in people picking on you more. It sounds to me like you may not have your confidence magazine topped off. Thats a tough thing to teach, but the sooner you learn confidence, the better life will be for you in the Corps.

As my Drill Instructor told me, confidence is knowing you're a badas*. A cocky guy tells everyone he's the best, a confident guy doesn't have to. Before an inspection, our Drill Instructor was trying to tell us to be confident. He said "Sound off and say everything as a fact! I want you to be able to tell the inspecting officer that the sky is purple with so much certainty that he's going to look up to check it"

You've got time now that the Marines you go through ITB with won't. Make the most of it. You just graduated, you know how to use every second of your time to the maximum, don't get nasty. Show up to ITB as the most s**t hot Marine the instructors have ever seen.

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Marine,

First off i want to commend you on making it through bootcamp and Joining the ranks of Our Corps. next. if you have noticed things appear to you a lot differently now than they did before you left. the stuff you went through in bootcamp will never be as bad again. once you hit the fleet its a whole other ball game. keep your head up the games will never end because you are new and they are going to test you through these games to find your weakness's. learn from this. listen to what all of the Marines in this forum are saying because we have all been there and done that. we have played the games, and have learned from them. and almost all of us NCO'S and SNCO's and Senior LCpl's have deployed at least once. Semper Fi Devil Dog

Let's take this apart.

"Hey Marines, I recently graduated boot camp on October 16th with Dirty Delta."

I didn't look at your profile. Which Depot? I don't know which Delta Company is worse. Living on the edge of a swamp, or right across from RTR Headquarters

" I had 10 days leave obviously followed by 14 recruiter assisting days. When I went back to Camp Pendleton to report in the company"

Did you put any bodies in? Meritorious Mast? Work-out every day? Use your time to complete MCI courses?

"I was supposed to pick up with w
    as full (300 Marines allowed, 350 showed). I was put in a reception platoon along with a couple dozen Marines where we would have to wait until December 1st for the next pick up. Our 1st Sgt. decided to send us home on RA again instead of just waiting which was fine with me. Its just I feel being back so prematurely is aggravating because I have no achievement to bring back home, and I know I should be at ITB right now."

Achieving upper body strength might be good.

" It seems like a lot of bad stuff happens to me in the Marines like getting picked on by my fellow Marines at boot camp and here at my recruiting station, and other tiny stuff that turns into a distraction. Its hard to find motivation when so much crap happens, and I ask myself "why me?" when I haven't done or said anything wrong."

Here comes the oh, woe is me crap. And so early. Keep it up and get used to failing. Not doing anything wrong does not negate the need to do things right.

"Boot camp didn't go smooth for me, I failed table 2 the first time because I had bad magazines and a bad weapon, so I had a stoppage every 5 rounds nearly. I failed the map test, and I still can't climb the rope. I'm looking for any advice motivated Marines can give me to motivate me and encourage me/help me with. Thanks for listening."

I have over 1500 Recruits as my base of experience. I don't know how it goes currently but, bad weapons/mags usually show-up the first coupla' days of qual week. If not, there is always an alibi relay and an Armorer on each and every string of fire.

Getting dropped for unqual merely sent you to MTP for a few days Then you would rejoin your original platoon. Unless you were a ****head, then you'd go back to grass week. I never dropped an ung recruit that I didn't need to drop.

If you need motivation by posting on this forum you prolly should have joined the Air Force or sumpin'

As another aside, climbing the rope requires technique more than strength. Friggan' females climb it for goodness sake. Man-up, stop looking for reasons to fail.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by duragliter View Post
    Let's take this apart.

"Hey Marines, I recently graduated boot camp on October 16th with Dirty Delta."

I didn't look at your profile. Which Depot? I don't know which Delta Company is worse. Living on the edge of a swamp, or right across from RTR Headquarters

" I had 10 days leave obviously followed by 14 recruiter assisting days. When I went back to Camp Pendleton to report in the company"

Did you put any bodies in? Meritorious Mast? Work-out every day? Use your time to complete MCI courses?

"I was supposed to pick up with w
    as full (300 Marines allowed, 350 showed). I was put in a reception platoon along with a couple dozen Marines where we would have to wait until December 1st for the next pick up. Our 1st Sgt. decided to send us home on RA again instead of just waiting which was fine with me. Its just I feel being back so prematurely is aggravating because I have no achievement to bring back home, and I know I should be at ITB right now."

Achieving upper body strength might be good.

" It seems like a lot of bad stuff happens to me in the Marines like getting picked on by my fellow Marines at boot camp and here at my recruiting station, and other tiny stuff that turns into a distraction. Its hard to find motivation when so much crap happens, and I ask myself "why me?" when I haven't done or said anything wrong."

Here comes the oh, woe is me crap. And so early. Keep it up and get used to failing. Not doing anything wrong does not negate the need to do things right.

"Boot camp didn't go smooth for me, I failed table 2 the first time because I had bad magazines and a bad weapon, so I had a stoppage every 5 rounds nearly. I failed the map test, and I still can't climb the rope. I'm looking for any advice motivated Marines can give me to motivate me and encourage me/help me with. Thanks for listening."

I have over 1500 Recruits as my base of experience. I don't know how it goes currently but, bad weapons/mags usually show-up the first coupla' days of qual week. If not, there is always an alibi relay and an Armorer on each and every string of fire.

Getting dropped for unqual merely sent you to MTP for a few days Then you would rejoin your original platoon. Unless you were a ****head, then you'd go back to grass week. I never dropped an ung recruit that I didn't need to drop.

If you need motivation by posting on this forum you prolly should have joined the Air Force or sumpin'

As another aside, climbing the rope requires technique more than strength. Friggan' females climb it for goodness sake. Man-up, stop looking for reasons to fail.

'Rah!!

I hate to make it harder on you, but the Fleet don't get much better. Trust me...I'm a damn boot right now and it isn't fun (except libo!). And if you're in a grunt unit, forget it. Boot camp was a vacation...

Advice

The only advice I can give you is the same thing that got you through boot. Keep trying never give up. Yeah being a boot you are going to get harrassment from time to time learn to take it. It only gets better. You are currently what a civilian would call an entry level position. An E-2 PFC is just above pond scum on the food chain. Keep working out build your strength. on the rifle range listen to the coach and practice dryfiring until your sick of it then practice some more. Proper trigger squeeze is 50 per cent of Marksmanship. Use every assignment and job you are given as an oppotunity to learn and you will find out how much better things get. If you have a good attitude and do your best to excell before long you will be E-4. and you'll be suprised the opportunities you have. Hang in there and if you can't findanyone to watch your back call me. I only weighed 140 when I went in and I made it.
    Semper Fi and good luck

AHHHHH.....Welcome to the wonderful world of the United States Marine Corps! It all pays out in the end, thats we are better than the average American. We can deal with the bull**** and keep on ticking. Stay motivated, the green weenie hasnt molested you fully...YET!

Credits
    Savings
    Really now? That sounds pretty useful. Been tryin to do LandNav with the Marines but we don't exactly have a 2 Shop to lean on for maps. Marines been pulling their hairs out with google...

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Like SSGT Blooper said if map is landnav? REI and other outdoor stores have NatGeo TopoMap Kiosks on site. Drag the arrow to where you would like to hump and print it out on waterproof paper. They cost about $10 per quadrangle, another $10 or more for a compass and the rest is just work and practiceNow you know how to clear a fouled weapon. Better in bootcamp than some hostile backassward corner of the world.

--->Dave

Don't really know what advice to give you, my *****es and complaints really didn't even start till A School, and at that point I just didn't give a damn anymore cause lit wouldnt matter anyways, no one up high gives a **** what PFC Schmuckatelly thinks or says. That's the truth, don't let anyone jerk you around. There's no miracle way to make things work for you. The only thing you can do is just deal with it. None of the NCO's, SNCO's and Officers will stop their day to take into consideration what issues you have with how things go. That's not to say if you have a true personal crisis they won't help you appropriately, but they aren't going to give you a break just because "You're getting picked on." Maybe the best advice I can give you is not to say a word unless someones asking you to do something. It's what I do 99% of the time in the shop, I don't have anything I care to share to anyone I work with, it avoids personal conflict in a professional environment. At this point you don't have to worry about it anyways, you aren't at your unit or even school. Make friends with people you don't directly work with, they're always easier to tolerate because chances are the only time you spend with them is on liberty, so there's less stress involved. That keeps the goons you work for off your back, and you have someone to hang out with after they're done getting all into your ****.

Credits
    Savings
    Just stay positive. Be thankful you have gotten to spend that much time at home. My first year in the Corps I was only home 18 days between boot leave and PCS leave before I was sent to Japan. You'll be out of MOS School and off to the fleet before you know it. After a year or so it starts to get much easier because you'll just become accustomed to it.

Dude its simple, stay motivated, do your job, keep your trap shut. Don't worry about what others say. Your NCO's, and SNCO's will notice when your locked on, and the others are not. Semper!!

Thread Information