Injured During Leave?
Create Post

Question Injured During Leave?

Afternoon Marines.

Was thinking the other night about this. I grew up in the mountains of Oregon, snowboarding multiple times a week. It's one of my favorite things to do in life, however it's dangerous and I have broken many bones and been hurt different ways while doing it. I am looking forward to being able to take leave and get to snowboard places I couldn't afford to in the past, assuming I get through bootcamp and ITB. My question is, what happens if you get injured during leave with the Corps, say a break a bone for instance. Could I end up getting in trouble for that? Would hate to have to put my passion behind me for my time in the Marine Corps. But, the Corps comes first and I am prepared to do so. Thank you in advance Marines for the info.

You will get more Marines to answer if you post in the Ask a Marine forum... just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by iljw View Post
    You will get more Marines to answer if you post in the Ask a Marine forum... just a suggestion.
    ****, I thought that's where I posted.

My mom is active duty Air Force, she tore her ACL while skiing one year. As far as getting in trouble, I don't think they will punish you, however, as the Marine Corps is overmanned right now, I don't know if the same will hold true. If you are medically unable to work due to injury, there is a provision set up known as convalescent leave but this is issued at commander's disgression. Once again, this may only apply to Air Force, but I don't see why it would be different.

I would not reccomend snowboarding on boot leave if you have a history of getting hurt. I can't recall where, but I think I have heard of someone getting in a car accident during boot leave, the person was banged up pretty bad, and was unable to continue training at MCT. He was discharged shortly after, I can't remember the correct wording (as far as RE Code), but I know it was an honorable discharge. You should PM a mod to have this thread moved to the correct forum as I'm sure the current active duty Marines can give much more information that is way more correct than the insight I can offer.

Perhaps you should put the few days of fun on hold for a later leave date when their is less at stake? Or just stick to the green-rated slopes.

I'm surprised he was able to get in having "broken many bones".

Quote Originally Posted by dds0113 View Post
    Perhaps you should put the few days of fun on hold for a later leave date when their is less at stake? Or just stick to the green-rated slopes.
    I definitely would not go during my boot leave, I was talking about later on in my career with vacation leave. Thanks for the advice guys.

Let me know when you go then.. I haven't been snowboarding in many years.

well, i work on a Marine Corps base. In San Diego, at the gym. Ive had a few Marines come in with broken arms/legs and in casts . We offer training called "Return To Readiness". Im assuming you will be fine.

My recruiter ran his bike in a phone pole and literally ripped the muscle almost out of his leg. Looks like he was tortured or something. As he told me once your in your in. You most likely will not be kicked out. They own you and have invested a ton of money into you.

Thread Information