Just recieved orders to Oki...
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just recieved orders to Oki...

I figured I would get a head start on all of this. I just lat moved into the 02xx field and am about to complete school. I have accompanied orders to 3rd Intel Bn. Check in is no earlier than March 1st, NLT March 31st. I have a few questions for you before I get back to my parent command in SC.
    My wife, kid, and all of my household goods are in Colorado. I am concerned that they will make me fly from my parent command to Okinawa instead of me taking leave, and flying from Colorado with my family to Okinawa. What should I expect? Also, if I have never used the 'home of record move' will TMO take my stuff from my home of record (in colorado) and ship it to Okinawa?
    We will start with those questions...

Thanks!

Also, what is this I hear about a 'sponsor' helping me out? What is that all about.

Sorry for all the questions... I dont have great support where I am for the questions that I have.

Yep, they're gonna fly you to CO. Yep, they are gonna move your stuff to Oki. Don't understand how you don't know what a sponsor is. That's simply the guy at the other end of your PCS move that will show you the ropes of your new command and environment.

pretty much everything Gunny said in a nutshell. As far as Okinawa goes I'm actually PCS'ng out to go to Lejeune. For families its not that bad, so I've been told - I was unaccompanied but Okinawa certainly isnt what it used to be back in the day. Just make sure you get in touch with your sponsor cuz he'll help you out a lot with housing and issues of that matter.

Thanks gents.

Sorry for not clearing my question up Gunny... I understand what a sponsor is, I have just never really had a sponsor before to help out. Thanks I guess ill just have to wait to get back to my parent command to get everything organized.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRooster View Post
    pretty much everything Gunny said in a nutshell. As far as Okinawa goes I'm actually PCS'ng out to go to Lejeune. For families its not that bad, so I've been told - I was unaccompanied but Okinawa certainly isnt what it used to be back in the day. Just make sure you get in touch with your sponsor cuz he'll help you out a lot with housing and issues of that matter.
    Thats what I keep hearing that they still have all those restrictions going on over there. That sucks, especially for the single Marines.

I absolutely hated lejeune and so did my family. Think of trying to fit 100 people in a 30 person classroom with only 15 chairs. Thats what lejeune is like. I guess its all about what you make of it.

Oki

Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper View Post
    Thanks gents.

Sorry for not clearing my question up Gunny... I understand what a sponsor is, I have just never really had a sponsor before to help out. Thanks I guess ill just have to wait to get back to my parent command to get everything organized.
    You'll have a blast on Oki. I highly recommend that anyone going over there get into diving. I didn't mean to belittle you for your question on a sponsor. Your sponsor will undoubtedly be your best friend when you get there and probably later. Hopefully you get a good one. Good to see that you're being proactive about your move. I hope it goes well for you.

S/F
    Gy Dan

Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper View Post
    I absolutely hated lejeune and so did my family.
    Guess I can see the glass as half-empty now? Elaborate please.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRooster View Post
    Guess I can see the glass as half-empty now? Elaborate please.
    No no, its just a crowded place, I hate crowds so I did not enjoy lejeune at all. It just takes some time to get use to it. Theres alot of stuff for the family to do, you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptt23b View Post
    good luck, money.
    GEORGE... Thanks man. PM replied.

PTT23B FTW.

3rd intel. Thats on Camp Hansen, Sgt. Camp Hansen is about 45 minutes away from anything thats entertaining, theres an aquarium up here...and..some good training...oh and beaches. Your family and yourself wont live on Hansen, Sgt. Most likely a base closer to civilization. Pay is awesome out here, but it's a bit more strict than in the states..

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzack View Post
    3rd intel. Thats on Camp Hansen, Sgt. Camp Hansen is about 45 minutes away from anything thats entertaining, theres an aquarium up here...and..some good training...oh and beaches. Your family and yourself wont live on Hansen, Sgt. Most likely a base closer to civilization. Pay is awesome out here, but it's a bit more strict than in the states..
    Good info LCpl, thank you...

So Hanson does not have base housing?

I'll throw-in my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by usmcdanno View Post
    I highly recommend that anyone going over there get into diving.
    I'll second that. It's cheap and easy and worth every penny you'll spend. I was PADI open water certified by Richard Ruth on 24 December 1993 (my second pump; the first one I was just drunk)

Another responsible thing to do in Oki is to explore some caves, take the tours -- see the Island.

And last but not least, enjoy Sinville: but don't drink too much Mojo or you might end up sleeping with a 60+ year-old, toothless, mama-san.

Semper Fi

There was a cave at Mida Pt.(sp?) which we snorkeled around in and out of it, I remember a few of us climbed up a part of it and jumped in, inside the cave, at that time it was a little chilly in the shade and not being able to see what was underneath me kept me out in the shallower areas in the warm sun...lol anyone ever go to that place?

Thread Information