Jet Pilot
Create Post

Thread: Jet Pilot

Jet Pilot

I'm currently an enlisted poolee and a freshman in college with plans of OCS via the platoon leaders course after my enlisted training. I want to go aviation, preferably jet pilot...what is a good college major to compliment a career in aviation, Ive been considering aerospace engineering. Also, what is the daily life of an active duty Marine pilot like? Where would I be stationed, daily tasks, ect...

Thanks, Adam

Semper Fi

OK, I can't help you with your questions, but you really need to read the rules, and then maybe, a Marine will come along and answer your questions.

[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...=29048&page=15

Shouldn't matter as long as you have a 4 year degree from an accredited college that is recognized by the USMC. We had a Harrier Pilot with a degree in Physical Education, and we had a Pilot that was a graduate from the Naval Academy.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by awonder View Post
    I'm currently an enlisted poolee and a freshman in college with plans of OCS via the platoon leaders course after my enlisted training. I want to go aviation, preferably jet pilot...what is a good college major to compliment a career in aviation, Ive been considering aerospace engineering. Also, what is the daily life of an active duty Marine pilot like? Where would I be stationed, daily tasks, ect...

Thanks, Adam

Semper Fi

If aerospace engineering interests you, it could only be a plus factor. All other things being equal, if the Corps had to pick a new pilot from between an aerospace engineering grad and a phys ed grad, I think the AE would have the edge.

I can't give you a daily pilot routine as the only time I was in close daily contact with pilots (fixed-wing) was in Vietnam and that wasn't a routine, stateside, sort of situation. They flew at least two combat hops per day and each pilot had additional duties within the squadron they had to attend to (admin, intel, ops, logistics, Motor T, embarkation, etc) plus keep up on the safety rules and other training requirements that didn't go away just because they were in Vietnam, such as minimum night flying hours, etc.

Stateside, or in Japan, pilots didn't necessarily fly daily. I suppose they may spend more time in simulators now.

Quote Originally Posted by awonder View Post

Thanks, Adam

Semper Fi
    Choose a major that interest you and that you can use once you get out. Remember that the chances of you not making it into the 'air' side of the USMC is much greater then making it.

And you would get stationed at one of the USMC's air stations located in...
    -Camp Pendleton, CA
    -Mirimar, CA
    -Yuma, AZ
    -Cherry Point, NC
    -Beaufort, SC
    -Okinawa, Japan
    -Mainland Japan
    -KBay, Hawaii

I'm doing the same route you are, I applied for college and my degree will be Aerospace Engineering at Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach. I was told it will be a lot of math, but it's the type of math I can easy do (physics). The AE degree will help you out majorly if you are interested in aviation as your lifetime career. The FAA is allways hiring people for those well paying jobs.

For the PLC program, you actually need to talk to an OSO and they will set you up for the course, you need a cirtain ASVAB score (forgot what it is, think 70+), and you must be accepted into a college allready. There are other ways to do college as a Marine (NROTC, MECEP, reserves, and a few more I forgot). My route will be the NROTC at Embry Riddle, which on the scholarship, you get discharged from your current reserve unit, and your new unit will be that ROTC, and you go there as a full time student, just as if you were never in the Marines, but will have far more experiance then the other midshipmen in that program, since when in the Marine Option, you will learn everything there is to know about becoming a USMC Officer. MECEP is the same way as the reserve NROTC thing, but it is harder to get into, and you have to be active duty.

let me put it to you this way...

my old OIC was a physical fitness major...the degree doesnt matter, all that matters is you make it into the aviation program

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    I was told it will be a lot of math, but it's the type of math I can easy do (physics).
    I hope your math is better than your grammar. Otherwise, you'll be flying paper airplanes onto table top runways.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    If aerospace engineering interests you, it could only be a plus factor. All other things being equal, if the Corps had to pick a new pilot from between an aerospace engineering grad and a phys ed grad, I think the AE would have the edge.
    I talked to a Naval pilot a while back, he said they used to pick the pilots with a degree or masters in Math, physics, or aerospace engineering as candidates to the Naval test pilot school. Then they did a study with pilots with majors in english or non-mathematical subjects and their study concluded that they did better in the school than their peers.

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    I hope your math is better than your grammar. Otherwise, you'll be flying paper airplanes onto table top runways.
    It is, lol. I suck at English.

Thread Information