New IST requirements/minimums - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by kingM View Post
    I ran 9.00. do you thinks that is a good time to go to bootcamp??
    9:00 what? 1 1/2 mile? If so based on the minimum requirements, I'd say yes.

There are people in my DEP that can barely reach the 44 sit up minimum never mind 60.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    While in DEP, you can really tell who's motivated and who's not. I'm FAR from athletic, never played a organized sport in my life, and I went from 1-3 pull ups to 9 within two-three months. I started to PT before I even got my ship date.

Quote Originally Posted by JP702 View Post
    While in DEP, you can really tell who's motivated and who's not.
    I couldn't agree with you more! For the most part the people from my office are motivated, but there are a distinct few who could care less. At least that's how it seems. There is one person who couldn't get in the DEP because he couldn't pass the IST and another one who couldn't ship because he couldn't pass the IST. How do you go through months of being in the DEP and not pass the IST? I just don't get it!
    I definitely think the IST standards should be higher. I did over hear the SNCOIC from my office say that he won't let anyone ship with under 5 pull ups from now on though.

Quote Originally Posted by asherdasher114 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more! For the most part the people from my office are motivated, but there are a distinct few who could care less. At least that's how it seems. There is one person who couldn't get in the DEP because he couldn't pass the IST and another one who couldn't ship because he couldn't pass the IST. How do you go through months of being in the DEP and not pass the IST? I just don't get it!
    I definitely think the IST standards should be higher. I did over hear the SNCOIC from my office say that he won't let anyone ship with under 5 pull ups from now on though.
    Agree with you both. For the most part, most of our RS is motivated, but like at last weeks PT we did about 6 miles in a two columns and we were singing Cadences the whole way. I'm motivated as hell, so I was screaming it at the top of my lungs, but some poolee's were like 'whatever, this sucks...why are we doing such an intense workout' I hate un-motivated poolee's! D:

I just had my first IST yesterday and it didn't go to well but I am still motivated. I screwed up on my sit ups because I thought I had to keep my arms on my chest but come to find out your arms can be on your stomach as long as your hands stay on your biceps. Failed the run by 10 seconds but, I am pretty happy with the run because I have been going to PT 3 times a week with my RSS and I couldn't even run a 1 1/2 mile without stopping before. I have over a year to improve so I am not worried

Quote Originally Posted by kingM View Post
    I ran 9.00. do you thinks that is a good time to go to bootcamp??
    thats better than perfect for the IST lol. I wish I could run that well, id be SET if I could get my run time down by like 5 minutes lol

Quote Originally Posted by New Jersey View Post
    I just had my first IST yesterday and it didn't go to well but I am still motivated. I screwed up on my sit ups because I thought I had to keep my arms on my chest but come to find out your arms can be on your stomach as long as your hands stay on your biceps. Failed the run by 10 seconds but, I am pretty happy with the run because I have been going to PT 3 times a week with my RSS and I couldn't even run a 1 1/2 mile without stopping before. I have over a year to improve so I am not worried
    hey man, dont worry about it, it was your first IST. I just had one yesterday aswell, and there were people puking and crap lol.

are you sure you're doing crunches and not sit ups? it took me like 4 ISTs to realize the difference (even though our recruiters tell us every time how to do one lol) and it made a huge difference when I started doing crunches. and if you are, just keep at it. you'll only get better and if you ahve a year to go in the DEP, you can easily pump out 100 before boot camp

Quote Originally Posted by wilsontc11 View Post
    hey man, dont worry about it, it was your first IST. I just had one yesterday aswell, and there were people puking and crap lol.

are you sure you're doing crunches and not sit ups? it took me like 4 ISTs to realize the difference (even though our recruiters tell us every time how to do one lol) and it made a huge difference when I started doing crunches. and if you are, just keep at it. you'll only get better and if you ahve a year to go in the DEP, you can easily pump out 100 before boot camp
    I don't know. Are we suppose to do crunches or sit ups? What is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by New Jersey View Post
    I don't know. Are we suppose to do crunches or sit ups? What is the difference?
    you're supposed to do crunches

Sit ups are when you go all the way up, and then your back goes all the way down

crunches are when only your shoulder blades have to touch the deck when you go down, and your arms (your elbows pretty much) have to touch your legs when you go up (and your arms HAVE to remain flat on your chest or the crunch wont count. im not sure how they do it at your RSS, but here we hold our biceps with our hands only). its hard to explain in text but just watch other people do it when you PT and you'll see. you just have to do alot less

The funny thing is the new guys that are coming in, are 1000% more MOTO than the guys that have less than 60 days to ship

Ceckert did you not read the rules? Whenever you use the word **Marine** you capitalize it, same for USMC or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by P90x View Post
    Ceckert did you not read the rules? Whenever you use the word **Marine** you capitalize it, same for USMC or anything like that.
    If you looked at his profile you would see he shipped back in december so he is probably a Marine by now. Do your research before you try to correct people.

Thread Information