New IST requirements/minimums - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    OK, I guess that the CO is pushing for it to be the new requirements, but they are still the same old ones as of now. I would love for the new requirements to be upped and I hope that they do, so that all the poolees/recruits would atleast be in mediocre shape when boot camp starts. I just got done with this IST up at MEPS and I was #1 overall throughout the 25 poolees, and I might be able to ship on the 16th, which is definitely sweet.

Yea its the same for now but the asvab minimum was raised to 35. I think the asvab min should be 50 or 60 and the ist should be double what it is and if you cant pass each BEFORE you sign up you shouldt be allowed to sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceckert View Post
    You know as sad as this may sound. There are a few guys in DEP right now that swore in the same day I did and cant still not get the minimum 3 pullups, or get the minimum of 50 crunches. In my opinion its rather sad, and I honestly dont believe that they want to become marines, or even better themselves. One of them actually gained 20 lbs in the 6 months he has been in DEP. I swore in the same day as him and i have lost about 10 to 15 lbs. my pullups went from 3 to 9, and my crunches from 44 to 71. So I guess it just takes hard work.

A kid in my RSS when he enlisted was doing 0 pull ups, he couldn't even bend his arms, did 21 crunches, and ran the 1.5 miles in about 16 mins. 3 months later hes doing 8 pull ups 78 crunches and a 12:30 or so 1.5 mile. Gotta give it to the kid, he's on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLee View Post
    Are you guys serious,wow thats crazy where Im from the run time has to be under 11:30 for males b4 you ****,pull ups are 3 and crunches 60
    You are correct, We Pt under those standards in my RSS.

Well I just got back from my weekly PT session with my recruiter, he said it's a rumor that's very popular, but hasn't heard anything official yet.

One guy at RSS got his ship date moved back because he couldnt do a single pull ups,that guy wants to be in the Marine Corps Band.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLee View Post
    One guy at RSS got his ship date moved back because he couldnt do a single pull ups,that guy wants to be in the Marine Corps Band.
    Are you serious?
    Couple months back Everybody in my Pool got interviewed by our C/O Major Germano, and we had a poole named Poolee Gower could not do one pull up, our C/O asked him to do a pull up and he couldnt do it. So she discharged him on the spot.
    He went straight to the Navy RS.

Last edited by papaditto; 11-04-09 at 10:12 PM. Reason: finish the story.

Quote Originally Posted by papaditto View Post
    Are you serious?
    Couple months back Everybody in my Pool got interviewed by our C/O Major Germano, and we had a poole named Poolee Gower could not do one pull up, our C/O asked him to do a pull up and he couldnt do it. So she discharged him on the spot.
    He went straight to the Navy RS.
    hahaha thats hilariuos,ay I met Major Germano b4

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Does anyone else agree with me that women should have to do pull ups as well? Pull ups are fantastic for helping you climb over obstacles and are perfectly applicable in warfare, whereas simply hanging there never struck me as that useful. Why is there a general consensus that Women cannot do pull ups? They have quantitatively less muscle, yet their muscle to size ratio remains about the same as any mans. I know girls who can do 10+ pull ups...every girl can, it's not like they're weak or anything...I'd love to see them change things in the future. Girls CAN do pull-ups just fine.

They wont be in warfare so it dosent matter. Women are not allowed in combat arms mos's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulls View Post
    Does anyone else agree with me that women should have to do pull ups as well? Pull ups are fantastic for helping you climb over obstacles and are perfectly applicable in warfare, whereas simply hanging there never struck me as that useful. Why is there a general consensus that Women cannot do pull ups? They have quantitatively less muscle, yet their muscle to size ratio remains about the same as any mans. I know girls who can do 10+ pull ups...every girl can, it's not like they're weak or anything...I'd love to see them change things in the future. Girls CAN do pull-ups just fine.

I can only imagine what the Marines are saying about this

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I mean, if you put it that way, they might as well have no physical standards at all. I'm also of the belief that if a woman can hack it - carry the same weight for the same distance, run as fast, crunch/pull as many times, they should be allowed in combat mos's. It's rare for this to happen, but it does...I'm a personal trainer and my boss is a BEAST - she's run the Ironman 4 times, squats over 300 pounds and throws up over 200 on the bench...pretty damn good if you ask me. I just think if they're going to have physical standards, and they're going to be Marines, they should be encouraged to do pull ups - not simply because they're applicable in wartime, but because making them do flexed arm hangs insinuates that they can't do pull ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    I can only imagine what the Marines are saying about this
    Yea seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulls View Post
    I mean, if you put it that way, they might as well have no physical standards at all. I'm also of the belief that if a woman can hack it - carry the same weight for the same distance, run as fast, crunch/pull as many times, they should be allowed in combat mos's. It's rare for this to happen, but it does...I'm a personal trainer and my boss is a BEAST - she's run the Ironman 4 times, squats over 300 pounds and throws up over 200 on the bench...pretty damn good if you ask me. I just think if they're going to have physical standards, and they're going to be Marines, they should be encouraged to do pull ups - not simply because they're applicable in wartime, but because making them do flexed arm hangs insinuates that they can't do pull ups.

You can write a thesis on the debate of whether women should be allowed on the front lines and some people have but it is not the point of this thread or this forum. So stop.

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    You can write a thesis on the debate of whether women should be allowed on the front lines and some people have but it is not the point of this thread or this forum. So stop.

/thread

Thread Information