How long can someone keep their MOS?
Create Post

Question How long can someone keep their MOS?

Let's say I wanted to serve in the corps for 20 years +. Would I be able to keep the same MOS for those entire 20 years?
    For example : 2nd re-enlistment I work hard enough to become a D.I.
    Would my 3rd reenlistment allow me to serve as a DI again or would I have to choose a different MOS?

Yes and no. If you were 03xx and wanted to stay you could but your billet will change as you gain rank. As for D.I. no you cant. D.I. is a B billet. B billets are only three years then your last year on contract you go back to fleet. However you could go back to the drill field as a company gunny or 1st Sgt when you pick up rank, however you wouldnt really be training recruits. You can also lat move into another mos after each enlistment but you would lose any mos bonus.

Thanks a lot, i really been looking into this. I got a long road ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey183rd View Post
    Let's say I wanted to serve in the corps for 20 years +. Would I be able to keep the same MOS for those entire 20 years?
    Would my 3rd reenlistment allow me to serve as a DI again or would I have to choose a different MOS?
    When using the words Marine, Marine Corps, or Corps.......it will be capitaized at all times.
    Also, that's Drill Instructor to you, not DI.
    And yes, it does bother me when wannabes and poolees don't capitalize Marine, Marine Corps and Corps.....and when they say DI instead of Drill Instructor.

Site Police Site police when do we learn

Quote Originally Posted by TazMatt View Post
    Site Police Site police when do we learn
    Simple.....when wannabes and poolees learn, then the site police won't have any need to correct them.

My last 7 years in the Corps I was stationed at MCRD, SD. I saw a lot of friends leave the drill field and return to the fleet and since being a Drill Instructor is the best job in the Corps they did their tour in the fleet and returned to MCRD.

I held my primary MOS the full 20 years until I retired. I also carried as my secondary MOS 8511 (Drill Instructor).

Thanks Old Marine, That's very similar to the way I want to establish my career in the Corps. Do you mind me asking what MOS you held and what helped you choose it?

Thanks Old Marine, That's very similar to the way I want to establish my career in the Corps. Do you mind me asking what MOS you held and what helped you choose it?
    When I enlisted, I was not given a choice of MOS. That is what the Marine Corps gave me and I stuck with it until my retirement. My MOS was 3041 Supply Administration and it was a great MOS as it allowed me to be stationed anywhere there were Marines who needed supply items and that is practically anywhere.

Back then you did not question why the Marine Corps did this or that, what they asked you did. Hope you have a great enlistment.

Thread Information