poolees. So you want to be infantry huh? - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Cpl Rap,

I can answer that one for you. First, the reason PMI's wear the campaign cover is that it is tradition. Back in the day the campaign cover was standard issue and once it was phased out it was carried over to the marksmanship field. Contrary to popular belief, Drill Instructors are not the only ones authorized to wear it. I am not certain, but I believe that marksmanship instructors have worn it longer than DI's. I can speak for Parris Island as far as becoming a PMI. First you have to serve your time as a coach and if you do well at that and show a desire to be a PMI they may send you to the PMI course. Once you pass that you start teaching recruits. Hope this helps. Semper Fi.

Registered User Free Member offhand200's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    First let me appologize for not sending any replies recently. I am currently going through Small Arms Weapons Instructors Course in Quantico VA.
    Cpl Rapoza.
    If you want to be a PMI for recruit training you simply request to go to Edson Range, Camp Pendleton, or to the Rifle range at PI. Keep in mind though. WFTBn for both the East an West coast teaches more than the rifle range. So when you get there you need to ask them to put you on the range.

Credits
    Savings
    I'd like to add a note to What mudwalker said. Once they began to phase out the Campaign cover the only Marines that were authorized to wear it were the Marine Corps shooting team. Somewhere along the way they decided that all Marksmanship instructors should wear it (being as the Shooting teams primary mission is supposed to be to teach marksmanship) then someone decided that the Drill Instructors should wear it as well. I'm not sure why on that one but I'll try to find out.
    Mudwalker,
    I noticed you live in Fredericksburg. That's interesting I just happen to be staying with a friend in spotsylvania a couple miles away.

Registered User Free Member alanUSMCDEP03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I am going into Security Forces, which is an Infantry MOS. After 2 years though, I'm going to be assigned to a regular infantry battalion. What does the infantry do all day on a regular day when the're not out killing?

Registered User Free Member SGTDBG0411's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    LOOK OUT ALANUSMCDEP03
    1ST YOU MUST COMPLETE BASIC RECRUIT TRAINING.SO YOU BETTER GET IN SHAPE NOW AND WORRY ABOUT THE FUTRE LATER. THERE IS MORE TO BEING A MARINE THAN KILLING. IF YOU GET A CHANCE GO TO CAMP LEJEUNE AND FIND ANY OF THE INFANTRY BATTALION HEADQUARTERS AND SPEAK TO SOME OF THE MARINES THERE. THEY CAN GIVE YOU FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT THEY DO FROM DAY TO DAY

Credits
    Savings
    Sgtdbg is right, you need to make it throught boot camp first. As far as day to day things it's going to vary, do like he said go by an infantry Bn, and ask them what they do.

WolfA4
    Guest Free Member
    ah im new here. but i would love to go by an infantry Bn and ask my self but well i live in new york city, not many infantry Bn's around here that i know of, so i would personally appriciate if someone could answer the question on what do infantry soldiers do day to day?

Credits
    Savings
    For starters NEVER Call a Marine A soldier. As far as what they do day to day, it varies depending on where they are in the training cycle and what unit you are with.

Registered User Free Member alanUSMCDEP03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I would like to know how the lifestyle at SOI is. Is it just about like bootcamp, where you have no freedom, and you can't do anything. I want to know how sucky SOI is, and also, do grunts work regular hour days when at their bases, or they work more than other Marines that don't have a 0311 mos?

Registered User Free Member SGTDBG0411's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    LOOK OUT ALANDEP03
    IF YOU THINK SOI IS SUCKY THEN YOU BETTER RECONSIDER JOINING MY BELOVED MARINE CORPS. YOU ARE STARTING TO SOUND LIKE A S**TBIRD AND YOU ARE NOT GOING TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS UNTIL YOU LIVE IT YOURSELF SOMEDAY. BEING A MARINE IS A TOUGH JOB IN ITSELF SO FORGET ABOUT KILLING ON A REGULAR DAILY BASIS BECAUSE IT JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR MOS IS. THE WORD MARINE CARRIES A LOT OF RESPECT AND HONOR. NOT EVERYBODY CAN BE A MARINE SO REMEMBER THAT AS YOU ARE GOING THROUGH RECRUIT TRAINING
    REMEMBER ALL THE NON-HACKERS THAT DID NOT MAKE IT.WILL YOU BE ONE OF THOSE NON-HACKERS? YOU CAN PM ME ANY TIME IF YOU REALLY WANT TO TALK. MY DOOR IS ALWAYS WELCOME TO ALL OF YOU THAT WANT TO LEARN. ROGER OUT

Poolee:

You are getting excellent advice from the sergeants. I would strongly suggest that you take to heart what they are telling you. IF you earn the title, MARINE, you will find that the sergeants and Staff NCOs are the back-bone of the Corps.

I would also suggest that you quit worrying about who, what, where or when. There are no "magic bullets" when it comes to recruit training or SOI. An important part of the process is not knowing what is going to happen next minute, next hour, next day or next week. There's no scuttlebutt, scoop, skinny, intel or whatever that's going to give you the inside track. However you picture it in your mind, it is going to be different. What you do not understand today is that not knowing is part of the training proccess. Take the Sergeant's advice and spend your time getting your body in shape. Your drill instructors will get your mind in shape when you get there.

MR Ventura
    MAJ USMCR
    1968-1975

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

"Smokey"

Cpl Rap/Mudwalker:

FYI: I got this from an Internet search, still need to verify. Although, it does jive with what I heard during my time on the grinder.

There is one distinction that separates a Drill Instructor from all other Marines...the "Smokey" cover. Wearing it is part of the prestige that comes with training recruits, but it wasn't always limited to DI's.

The history of the "Smokey" dates back to 1859, according to Dr. Stephen Wise, a Parris Island Museum curator. All Marines at that time wore only two covers: A dress cover and a Civil War-type "kepi" undress cover. Although the "kepi" didn't even remotely resemble the cover Drill Instructors wear today, it was replaced by the "Smokey's" close cousin - the Campaign Hat.

The Campaign Hat, which resembled a cowboy hat, was introduced in 1898 to protect Marines from the sun and rain. It was worn in the field and in garrison, when ordered. A slit down the center made the top slouch, so it was often called a "Slouch Hat."

In 1912, the Marine Corps replaced the Campaign Cover with the style of cover Drill Instructors wear today - the Field Hat. Many Drill Instructors mistakenly call the Field Hat a Campaign Cover. This cover was distinctive because it was the first American style hat. Up to this point, the Marine Corps had patterned uniforms after other countries. This cover was worn by all Marines, not just Drill Instructors.

During World War II, the need to cut back on expenses made it necessary to discontinue some of the leather parts of the uniform. The Field Hat was one of the first to go in May 1942.

After the war, gunners at Weapons Training Battalion were authorized to wear the Field Hat. In 1956, however, the felt version "Smokey" was returned to Drill Instructors' wardrobes. This mark of distinction has now become tradition.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I wore the pith helmet while serving in Diego Garcia and also wore the campaign cover while training young lieutenants how to shoot at Quantico. I was never a Drill instructor.

check out the dates on these posts,2003.

Prepare to be wet.
    CR DEINES
    0369 72-82

Thread Information