poolees. So you want to be infantry huh? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Talking

My point of view of why we fire in the sitting position.
    It most resemble a tripod, and if bones suport the weapon instead of muscle.
    Than the stacking of bones on bones in the sitting position, should give us a "stable" position.
    A draw back on this position, it higher than prone making you a bigger target.
    It's been interesting reading MCRP 3-01A.
    I checked some my information on my page on marksmanship, the sight alignment and sight picture graphics show the "wings" that protect the front sight post, which I chose not to use in my graphics.
    Because the focus should be on the front sight post in relationship to the target.
    Maintain correct sight alignment and correct placenment on the target should result in the bullet striking the target in a correct manner.

http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/marksmanship.html
    My page on marksmanship.

I'm a old time Primary Marksmanship Instructor but I try stay current on the marksmanship of today.
    Not much has changed since I taught at Edson Range in the year 1966.

Here's a page on the M4

http://www.mca-marines.org/Gazette/2002/02Dailey.html

From that page I see that the M4 is listed a carbine not as a rifle.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

PS
    A 0311 Basic Infantry Marine, 0351 anti-tanks, 0369 Infantry Unit Leader, 8651 Recon Marine and 8531 Primary Marksmanship Instructor.
    All related to the 0300 or Infantry field.
    Some historial information, I fired at Camp Matthews during boot camp and I was a Primary Marksmanship Instructor at Edson Range, soon after it was designated as the marksmanship range for the Recruit Depot at San Diego, CA.
    I fired the M1, Bowning Automatic Rifle (BAR) 3.5" rocket launcher, M60 Machine Gun, M3A1 Submachine Gun,.45 cal Pistol, M14 and the M16.
    Fired one round from 106 Recoiless Rifle, thought half my face was blown, when that round fired.
    Went from Private to Staff Sergeant in the Infantry.

What else do you fire at Boot camp? What do you fire at MCT. DO you get to fire foreign weps or the M4a1?
    thx

Registered User Free Member offhand200's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Caesar,First: No you will not fire any foriegn weapons in MCT
    Omega: I don't think it would be a good idea for you to shoot with a civilian instructor. The fact of the matter is, most people have their own opinion on how you should shoot a weapon. The advantage to the Marine Corps Marksmanship program is that we all teach everyone the same methods. Shooting with a different instructor before going to boot camp is what will most likeley cause those bad habbits.
    Yes the rifleing twist on the M-4 is the same as the M-16 and that is the main reason for equivilent accuracy.
    I don't know the reasons why your friend had to shoot right handed, but I do know that the brass is NOT A FACTOR in shooting left handed, it simply does not hit you in the face. I suppose that it could possibly but I have never seen it happen.
    Things such as Acogs, Tac Lights and the such can be used but you would have to take them off before turning your weapon into the armory. Those types of equipment are only issued to spec ops, so you would have to provide your own.
    As far as modifications to your weapon such as trigger, or anything else having to do with changing the weapon in a semi permanent way (I say semipermanent because it can be changed back) however, it is ILLEAGAL to make any modifications to your service rifle 1. if you are not a Marine Corps certified armorer, and 2. without permission from your commanding officer.
    Most units require that their Marines use the gear that is issued to them, however some units will allow you to use customized gear as long as it is with in regulation.

Credits
    Savings
    Two quick things Millrat.
    1. You want to avoid stacking bones on bones you want to stack bone on muscle.
    EG: In the sitting position the foreward elbow should be placed in the pocket of the foreward knee, this pocket is created by the calve muscle of the lower leg and the thigh muscle of the upper leg.
    EG: In the kneeling position the foreward elbow should rest slightly in front of the foreward knee. This automatically causes the flat lower portion of the Tricep muscle to rest on top of the knee.
    2. I would have to disagree with you not showing the wings that protect the front sight post. Although they have absolutley nothing to do with the aiming process, they will be there when you look through the sights of the M-16 (as I know you are aware) if someone knows nothing about marksmanship or the aiming process, when they see a graphic showing only a front sight and no wings, what will their reaction be when they look through the actual sights of the M-16.

Credits
    Savings
    Something else Millrat:
    The information on one of your websights about Marksmanship intstruction.
    Some of the information is good, but the methods you used to teach, are very much outdated. I hope that statement is not offensive, because I don't mean it to be. I'm simply saying that we use very much different wording than what I am reading on your websight. I understand you have been reading th 3-01A but the methods of instruction are not outlined in that Manual. The only reason I bring this up is because I don't want these new poolees to be confused, so perhaps you and I could get the oppertunity to update your instructional manual so the DINKS
    will have a better understanding of the terminology they will hear when they actually go to boot camp.
    give me your thoughts on this idea

thx offhand What usually causes someone to fail to qual. Also what is usually the hardest thing to learn about marksmanship? How do you teach someone how to aquire moving targets at undetermined range and how much harder is this?
    thx

Credits
    Savings
    There are only two things that will cause someone to fail to qualify.
    1. Not paying attention to what you are taught
    2. Not applying what you are taught

As long as you listen, and apply you will qualify without any problems.
    Shooting at moving targets is a bit of an animal all in it'self, I could explain it to you on here, but I won't for three reasons
    First. There are different methods to engaging moving targets for different types of weapons systems. Next. You will learn plenty about engaging moving targets throughout your time in the Marine Corps, including boot camp. Finally, there is a lot involved with each weapon system and I don't think I can type that long, besides that some of the information must be demonstrated. Don't get ahead of yourself though. You will learn all of that in due time. In the mean time, you will want your focus to be on the type of marksmanship you must master in order to graduate from boot camp.

Registered User Free Member 03Infantry's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The thing our coach stressed was DON"T MOVE. When you shoot let yourself move back with the little kick of the rifle. Don't try to counter it or you could throw the round off target. There is only point in a plane of points that the round could exit at to hit the target. Also relax. If you have any tension in your body it will cause you to shake and then you will move. Relax and DON'T MOVE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sang Lynyrd Skynyrds' "Free Bird" while I was on the firing line for qual and prequal. It relaxes you and takes your mind off of the pressure. The Marines who were nearby didn't mind as long as I didn't sing too loud.....but then again, my DI walked by and told me to shut the h3ll up!

Semper Fi,

Joe

Credits
    Savings
    relax too. The coaches on the rifle range are cool. They are all former 03's so they are good to go. You shoot so much you have to try to go unqualified. You will shoot all week before you try to qual.

how hard is it to get expert. how many in your plt got expert?

Credits
    Savings
    Alot of us got expert. It is not that hard to get expert. Just don't move, relax and shoot. Our companies average (611 recruits) was expert. The coaches will help you alot and unless you don't pay attention you should shoot expert.

well thats reasuring. I wanna say that I could've qualed for sniper in any branch because the Marines require more j/k. I just wanna graduate from boot camp anything else is gravy! What was it like throwin nades and stuff. was it kinda nerve racking?

Credits
    Savings
    Hey dawg you no longer throw grenades in boot( that sucks). You only shoot the m16a2. Some of the coaches on the rifle range are snipers- they are crazy. Graduate from bootcamp but shoot for the best on everything- swim qual, shooting, pft, prac, it will help for future promotions!!

yea my pft should be good as long as i can get my crunches up. i keep doing those leg throws with my frined to help build up strength. I cant swim(i know it sad but I almost drowned when i was like 3 trying to learn so never tried again) how hard was swim week? How hard is it to get a high swim class?

Thread Information