poolees. So you want to be infantry huh? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    offhand200,

Not to brag or anything but I got the 3rd place 12th MCD shooter's award for 4 position air-rifle (MCJROTC) this year. I'm going to be the captain of the rifle team for my JROTC as well as the company comander. If you have any tips of what I should do as a shooter I'm open. My SMI is my range master and knows quite a bit and has helped a lot but two heads are better than one .

I'm left handed and most people I know are right handed. How do you teach left handed people to shoot assuming the instructor is right handed or are there left and right handed instructors. Srry couldnt think of a better question right now but I really need some infor

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hello, Caesar.
    My son is left handed and hand to shoot (qualify) on the right side. From what I understand...that's just the way it is and you have to deal with it. He did very well just as you will.
    If memory serves me correctly there are "boot camp " stories about the rifle range that relate to your concerns.
    Good luck to you.
    Osotogary

They should teach you how to shoot left handed. I say should. But, I guess some DI's and PMI's may push for the old right hand. Offhand200 is our resident PMI and will be able to clarify this for us.

If you shoot left handed you will also use a brass deflector that will keep the brass from hitting you in the face when the shells are extracted... what fun if you dont have one

lol yea i wouldnt want brass in the eye to cause me to fail to qualify. I guess I might just have to suck it up and learn right handed. I guess i could brag how I can shoot with a hand i cant do anything else with lol. thx for the reply. Whats the weather like in SD in jan feb and march? I heard its really rainy. I guess thats perfect weather for when we do night infiltration and other combat related activities.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So we have to learn to shoot with our right hand?

BTW, I am also left handed.

Registered User Free Member offhand200's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Gentelmen,
    I apologize for the delay I was out of town at a family funeral.
    There's nothing wrong with your question Caesar. Teaching someone how to shoot left handed is no different than teaching them to shoot right handed. Your supposed to go by eye dominance, for instance there are many left handers who are right eye dominant so they shoot with their right hand. I'm not sure that I fully agree with this. Eye dominance can play a factor, I think that your character is going to have a lot to do with it. I'm right eye dominant and right handed, but I can shoot with my left hand as well. When you get to your first phase of marksmanship training your PMI will do an eye dominance test with you. If you are left handed and the PMI tells you, you should shoot with your right hand, then yes you will just have to suck it up.
    I've never seen any left handed shooter get hit with brass ejecting, but you never know I guess. Anyway, the PMI's are highly skilled instructors, and no matter which hand you shoot with you will be tought how to do so properly. Does this answer your question?

yes it does thank you. Also what is firing the SAW and M203 like. do they have a lot of recoil and are they hard to aim etc.
    thx

I think my brain housing group was overheating when I said brass could kick out.... I must have been thinking about the A1's, when we had to use a brass deflector for leftys. I think the A2 has a nub (cant think of the correct term) that brass hits on it's way out...

Registered User Free Member offhand200's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The M-249 SAW has about the same recoil as the M-16 because it fires the same round, however, because it fires on full auto, it feels a little stronger. The M-203 is a little like a 20 guage shot gun blast neither one has enough kick to cause any pain. Top your probably thinking of the housing around the foreward assist. I don't know what it's called. However, the manner in which the brass is ejected is usually sufficient enough to keep it from hitting the face of a left handed shooter.

are there any other weps u fire at boot. What about MCT. I heard that you fire foreign weps also is that true?

Sgt. I thank you for your expetise. You or one of your coaches helped me fire expert at bootcamp!!!!!!!!!1

Great work, giving these kids good advice. Keep up the great
    work, Semper Fidelis, Tom Murray, SSGT USMC 1973-1984

I'd like to come prepared but I know alot of people gain bad habits while shooting as a civillian. would it benefit me more to practice shooting as a civillian with say an instructor. Or just wait until boot?

and as far as the m4 I think it has to do with the twist of the barrel being the reason for similar accuracy at distance.

By the way a friend of mine was a lefty but learned to shoot with his right hand when he joined the Marines. for several reasons one being the brass issue.

also once out of boot and onto infantry what is the Marines position on additions to weapons such as red dots, acog's, taclights, and lasers etc. or modifying such as triggers, barrels, etc. or is that pretty much for the spec ops community only.

Gear how much leeway do we get on what kind of gear we carry. what kind of boots we wear etc.

thanks in advance.

I am right handed, but I shoot a rifle left handed. We were taught by our PMI that "eye dominance" was BS, but we could shoot whatever hand felt the most comfortable or would be effective. Keep in mind, Grassweek (where you "snap-in") is anything BUT comfortable. On patrol, we were taught if you are on the opposite side you shoot on (if you are on the left and you shoot left), simply switch on the way down. Weapons always outboard....

I got to tear down and clean a SAW for drill the other weekend. It is an awesome weapon just to hold...I can't wait to fire it!

Semper Fi,

Joe

Thread Information