Broken bone at bootcamp
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Broken bone at bootcamp

Has anyone ever sprained their ankle, broke your finger, or foot? What happends if something similar to that happens and you really can't go on, do they just drop you?

I dislocated my pinkie my sophmore year playing basketball. I would imagine you use your hands alotttttttt. I hope my pinkie doesn't pop. I wouldn't want to leave over that :/

IF you have experiences anything like this, or witnessed. Share some stories.

Thanks Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVESTRONGdave View Post
    Has anyone ever sprained their ankle, broke your finger, or foot? What happends if something similar to that happens and you really can't go on, do they just drop you?

I dislocated my pinkie my sophmore year playing basketball. I would imagine you use your hands alotttttttt. I hope my pinkie doesn't pop. I wouldn't want to leave over that :/

IF you have experiences anything like this, or witnessed. Share some stories.

Thanks Marines.
    I don't know really what to tell you, if its an injury that won't hinder your ability to complete training. Then I would tell you to suck it up, and keep moving. If you are injured to the point of where it will affect your training, or possibly cause more serious problems later on down the road. I would say report it to your Drill Instructors, if you get it checked out they will decide if you need to go to MRP or get the boot off the depot. The options are limited, but that's how it goes, either you make it or you don't. SF

Credits
    Savings
    Okay, thank you.

Its alittle off topic but I was talking with my Recruiting Officer and my mom asked "Does anyone die?" lol. He said suicides. Kind of scary but the only one he saw and was around was someone took their life at the rifle range.

You can google that because there's usually media coverage of recruit deaths and they tend to be publicized. I don't know why you would "lol" at that unless it was an uncomfortable laugh.

As for your original question, depends on the severity of the break/sprain/strain as well as how much the recruit wants to be a Marine.

You keep that in mind before you arrive at MCRD

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    You can google that because there's usually media coverage of recruit deaths and they tend to be publicized. I don't know why you would "lol" at that unless it was an uncomfortable laugh.

As for your original question, depends on the severity of the break/sprain/strain as well as how much the recruit wants to be a Marine.

You keep that in mind before you arrive at MCRD
    it was like a chuckle. People dying at boot camp? I don't know... I didn't think people would die at bootcamp. It was a nervous laugh, but I guess your right. And plus my mom asked it like? They don't right. It was embarrassing to ask that, It could of been a dumb question.. I don't know man:/ its sad..

it was like a chuckle. People dying at boot camp? I don't know... I didn't think people would die at bootcamp. It was a nervous laugh, but I guess your right. And plus my mom asked it like? They don't right. It was embarrassing to ask that, It could of been a dumb question.. I don't know man:/ its sad..
    Recruits dying at boot camp is no laughing matter. It can happend and it did happen. A young man in my nephew's platoon back in Aug of this year died during his final PFT. He died during the run. He had pneumonia and the Dr's thought it was out of his system, and I'm sure the Recruit said he was fine.
    So....yes, it can happen.

Well, you haven't gone through it...yes people die. Not too long ago, just a few months a recruit at PI died running the final PFT. Don't laugh at people that die trying to earn the title, or ones that do hold the title.

As far as your question, if the injury is bad enough, you'll get dropped, and sit in med hold until it gets better...or, you suck it up and deal with it, but that's at your own risk...we had a guy in my platoon break is ankle on the crucible, but he STILL humped the 9 miles back to get his EGA. We couldn't get his boot off his ankle was swollen so bad...he got to graduate, but didn't get to partake in the graduation ceremony, and he had to stay on PI for another few months until it healed.

Credits
    Savings
    why would i laugh at people dying in general? Not just people trying to hold our freedom... I didn't LAUGH when I heard someone took their on life on the rifle range.. I laughed when my mom asked thinking no one has died at bootcamp.

And your right I haven't been to Parris, haven't signed yet (DEC 1ST), haven't experienced the life as a marine.

In no way have I laughed at someone dying....

I fractured my leg the final week of boot camp. It started breaking during the first month and finally broke in the end. I was dropped to medical platoon to heal. I was there nearly three months. I was asked if I wanted to go home instead of healing. The choice was mine.

I can say that about 3/4 of the injuries in boot camp are fake, or exaggerated. Most of the injured recruits in the rehab platoon only wanted to go home. It is a sad and depressing place. Many shoulder injuries, and leg/feet injuries.

I was told that the reason they dropped me was because if I was allowed to graduate, then eventually my injury would catch up to me. It was better I heal in boot camp then to be dropped during SOI. They said being dropped while at SOI would of given me a very bad impression about the USMC. So this is why they held me back.

You can only suck it up so much. If you have noticeable injuries they will drop you. It is for your own good, and the good of the USMC. There is no point in letting you graduate with an injury that will inhibit you in the near future.

dislocation of a pinky? you should definitely be fine. if you re-injure it during training...if serious enough they will drop you back, depending how long it takes to fully heal and you can go back to train. you won't get dropped ALL the way back, but to another platoon that is picking up where you left off.

why would i laugh at people dying in general? Not just people trying to hold our freedom... I didn't LAUGH when I heard someone took their on life on the rifle range.. I laughed when my mom asked thinking no one has died at bootcamp.

And your right I haven't been to Parris, haven't signed yet (DEC 1ST), haven't experienced the life as a marine.

That's Parris Island to you. Paris is in France...
    And when using the word Marine, it will be capitaized at all times.

you need to experience life as a recruit before you can experience life as a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USCFIGHTONUSC View Post
    I fractured my leg the final week of boot camp. It started breaking during the first month and finally broke in the end. I was dropped to medical platoon to heal. I was there nearly three months. I was asked if I wanted to go home instead of healing. The choice was mine.

I can say that about 3/4 of the injuries in boot camp are fake, or exaggerated. Most of the injured recruits in the rehab platoon only wanted to go home. It is a sad and depressing place. Many shoulder injuries, and leg/feet injuries.

I was told that the reason they dropped me was because if I was allowed to graduate, then eventually my injury would catch up to me. It was better I heal in boot camp then to be dropped during SOI. They said being dropped while at SOI would of given me a very bad impression about the USMC. So this is why they held me back.

You can only suck it up so much. If you have noticeable injuries they will drop you. It is for your own good, and the good of the USMC. There is no point in letting you graduate with an injury that will inhibit you in the near future.
    FightOn I just have to ask? You went to SOI??

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    FightOn I just have to ask? You went to SOI??
    Did I stutter or did your ears flap? My words here>>"It was better I heal in boot camp then to be dropped during SOI. They said being dropped while at SOI would of given me a very bad impression about the USMC"<< If you can't tell I went to SOI, then oh well.

You can keep playing your lame games of scrutinizing every post I make and as always you will fail. You already tried to tell me the nickname of 1/3 was NOT the 'LAVADOGS', and you claim to have served with them. Pretty pathetic. Like I told you already, until you grow a pair and man up, you are irrelevant. Is it to hard for you to admit you were wrong?

If you need for me to explain to you that ALL Marines attend SOI, then I guess you truly are one silly fool.

So keep acting like a 12 year old and leaving your cute messages on my page, and keep on challenging every word I say. Go on with your bad self....

Credits
    Savings
    Images

So you just laughed at your Mom instead, and that's OK too?

Mothers are supposed to ask questions like that. Mainly because we are too stupid to ask them ourselves at 17 or 18-years old.

Be very grateful that your Mom is involved in the recruiting process, it will save you grief later.

Thread Information