What do you think is the hardest part about being a Marine?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Free Member d3vi1d06 4 life's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

What do you think is the hardest part about being a Marine?

do you think its the initial training ie. bootcamp, soi, mos school?

in my opinion, bootcamp was the easiest part. they give you three hots and a cot. they tell you where to be and they take you where you need to be. you are virtually are babysat the entire time in bootcamp. and the training is the easiest part too. thats why its referred to as basic training. soi is a little harder because you are treated like a recruit yet you bear the title of marine. its like an extension of bootcamp. mos school is the hardest of the three. you have to be places on time and you have to feed yourself. the di's arent there to hold your hand and babysit you.

the hardest part about the marine corps is being in the "fleet." you are in complete control of your life. and you have to maintain your fitness and appearance all on your own. it gets harder as you get higher in rank. when you become corporal and above the more people you are responsible for.

so all you poolees, dont think for a second that boot is the hardest part. it only gets harder as your time in the corps increases.

oorah!!!!!

I would say that the fleet is the hardest part when it comes to being a Marine. You do not have anyone there to make sure that you get to formation on time and yes it becomes the individual Marine's job to maintain fitness.
    At the end of the day we are Marines-we are the best and we will continue to do what needs to be done hard or easy.

Credits
    Savings
    oorah to that coker. ive been reading through these poolee threads, and they are all stuck on boot camp being the hardest part. its a cake walk. they feed you three meals a day, give you 8 hours of sleep forcibly, and they take you where you need to be on time. how much easier can it be? oh and they pt you forcibly. easy day!!!

good luck doing all that in the fleet!!

ooorah!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Excellent couple of posts.

i agree with you but what you learn at boot camp serves as a foundation. there's no way i could've gone through mct or mos school without what i got out of boot camp.

LCpl, in the Poolee Hall, we are suppose to keep all questions to boot camp until we earn the title, and when we stray, someone seems to pounce on us, like a wolf on the baby sheep.

Being around non-Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    Being around non-Marines.
    That is definatly the most irritating to me, some of the nasty **** they do makes me wanna rip their teeth out.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    LCpl, in the Poolee Hall, we are suppose to keep all questions to boot camp until we earn the title, and when we stray, someone seems to pounce on us, like a wolf on the baby sheep.

hey poolee!!
    i posted this topic for people like you. be grateful that i did this for you.

your lucky i aint like your recruiter and lie. just you wait till you are standing on those yellow footprints, scared to sh!t. make it to that point then talk smack. and you must stand at attenhut and scream "aye sir" when you attempt to talk smack. just remember that you are less than a recruit. and recruits are at the bottom of the ****pile.

know your place poolee!!!

Last edited by d3vi1d06 4 life; 11-01-09 at 10:32 AM. Reason: cause i felt like it.

MOS school was probably the toughest part of the whole process. You were given strict rules to follow but the temptation to break them was too great for many and NJPs were handed out almost like candy. Rules that in the fleet would be laughed but in the MOS school was not, ie Alchohol and being stupid. Once into the fleet then it became like a job, for me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by d3vi1d06 4 life View Post
    the hardest part about the marine corps is being in the "fleet." you are in complete control of your life. and you have to maintain your fitness and appearance all on your own. it gets harder as you get higher in rank. when you become corporal and above the more people you are responsible for.

so all you poolees, dont think for a second that boot is the hardest part. it only gets harder as your time in the corps increases. oorah!!!!!
    I don't know about your unit, but fitness was taken care of on its own. I never had to worry about getting out of shape due to PT. And many times in the fleet we were not in control of our lives. That is what made it difficult for many, the lack of having control of your own life. I don't know what fleet you speak of when you say "you are in complete control". Perhaps it depends on your unit and unit type.

How can boot camp be the easiest when you never had freedom while there?

As time went on in the USMC it didn't get harder for me or anyone else I saw who came in with me. It actually got easier and funner. I did notice it was always harder for the new Marines.

hey poolee!!

your lucky i aint like your recruiter and lie. just you wait till you are standing on those yellow footprints, scared to sh!t. make it to that point then talk smack. and you must stand at attenhut and scream "aye sir" when you attempt to talk smack. just remember that you are less than a recruit. and recruits are at the bottom of the ****pile.

With all due respect, I am failing to see where I talked any smack, I was just trying to inform you why the Poolee Hall is that way. It's also hard for my recruiter to lie to me when I dont ask him questions. If I find a question, I research it until I know the answer or until I have a good idea of what it is. So if you could please point out where I was talking smack, would be glad to correct myself with a full apology.

hey poolee!!

I think he is trying to tell you that his questions are limited to just bootcamp in the Poollee hall, and possibly wants to ask more about the Marines then just the initial training. I honestly don't see why the Poollee's are just limited to bootcamp questions, because that is just the beginning stage of 4 years in your life. After those 3 months, depending on your MOS, might change your entire course of life, or it could very well end it. So why shouldnt they let them ask more broad questions about the real Marine Corps and not just 3 months of it.

With all due respect, I am failing to see where I talked any smack, I was just trying to inform you why the Poolee Hall is that way. It's also hard for my recruiter to lie to me when I dont ask him questions. If I find a question, I research it until I know the answer or until I have a good idea of what it is. So if you could please point out where I was talking smack, would be glad to correct myself with a full apology.
    Why do you not ask your recruiter questions? Do you not trust him? I don't understand why you feel the need to do independent research on your own when you have a great resource of Marine Corps info available to you.

MarinesFTW...since Marines aren't allowed to post in the poolee forum, he posted his thoughts on boot camp for all of you poolees to read here in the "Marine Mentor" forum. So what if he spoke a bit about SOI/MCT training and MOS school.
    You talked smack to a LCpl in the Marine Corps by telling him what kind of questions he should post and where. Again, this is the "Marine Mentor" forum. Boot camp questions by wannabes and poolees should be asked in the Ask A Marine forum.
    I'm one of those Marines who pounce on wannabes and poolees like a wolf on baby sheep because of some of the questions that are asked. While it is great to want to know what your MOS and being out in the fleet is going to like, some of the questions asked can be answered by using the search bar or even by your Recruiter.
    In my opinion, wannabes and poolees should focus a bit more on getting thru boot camp, then focusing on what life is like out in the fleet. You don't make it thru boot camp, then you don't have to worry about the fleet.

Thread Information