Is my military occupation field any good?
Create Post

Is my military occupation field any good?

hey guys i ship out pretty soon and my recruiter showed me what job ill be good for since i scored a 110 on the EL portion of the ASVAB..my fields are 2100 - Ground Ordnance Maintenance
    2800 - Ground Electronics Maintenance
    5900 - Electronics Maintenance

now i wanted to do 7000 aviation services and im not really interested in electronics but my recruiter is telling me that theres not many jobs left in other fields...my recruiter said that my field is an outstanding field that pays well and that ill get certified when all is said and done...is this true?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostformat1125 View Post
    hey guys i ship out pretty soon and my recruiter showed me what job ill be good for since i scored a 110 on the EL portion of the ASVAB..my fields are 2100 - Ground Ordnance Maintenance

now i wanted to do 7000 aviation services and im not really interested in electronics but my recruiter is telling me that theres not many jobs left in other fields...my recruiter said that my field is an outstanding field that pays well and that ill get certified when all is said and done...is this true?
    Find your way back to the profile page and add some more details about yourself.

With a GT score of 110, you can only do 2100 or 5900. That means that if you stick with that contract you'll end up working with either guns (you can go anywhere) or radios (that can only go on air stations) for five years.

I don't know anything about ordnance but if you end up as a 5900, you will leave MOS school with almost enough training for an associates in electronics. Some of those skills can be used in the civilian world, along with the bonus for that field.

If the job itself doesn't sound interesting to you, DON'T GO THROUGH WITH IT. Five years is a long time to do something you hate. Even if it does have useful civilian applications, who cares if it makes your life miserable?

5900/6400 are both sweet contracts. I wouldn't do anything else. It's a very technical MOS. Nobody cares if you run 300 PFT and know sword manual, if you just don't get electronics you will be a janitor until you can lat more. Contrary, nobody will mind if you are on BCP with an NJP under your belt if you can run gear like a maniac...

On the down side, you will spend at least 20% of your contract just in MOS school, then at least 3-6 months in the fleet until you can become competent.

Quote Originally Posted by lostformat1125 View Post

That's hey Marines to you there young man, not hey guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwarkeh View Post
    With a GT score of 110, you can only do 2100 or 5900. That means that if you stick with that contract you'll end up working with either guns (you can go anywhere) or radios (that can only go on air stations) for five years.

I don't know anything about ordnance but if you end up as a 5900, you will leave MOS school with almost enough training for an associates in electronics. Some of those skills can be used in the civilian world, along with the bonus for that field.

If the job itself doesn't sound interesting to you, DON'T GO THROUGH WITH IT. Five years is a long time to do something you hate. Even if it does have useful civilian applications, who cares if it makes your life miserable?
    his EL is 110, not his GT

Oops, meant to correct my mistake but for some reason it's not letting me edit my post? I meant to say EL in the previous post, not GT.

You need to decide what you really want and base your decision off of that. I can only comment on the 7000....I was a 7051, aircraft rescue firefighter (crash crew), and I loved it. The 7000 series is a fairly small occupational field and it consists of crash crew, airfield recovery (Marines who rig arresting gear and set up expeditionary airfields), and airfield services Marines. On a day to day basis (when not deployed) these are the Marines who help keep an airstation functioning. In the field and on deployments you set up forward operating airfields and also aircraft refueling and re-supply points. I enjoyed it. What you need to look at is what you you want to spend the next few years of your life doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Brigade View Post
    5900/6400 are both sweet contracts. I wouldn't do anything else. It's a very technical MOS. Nobody cares if you run 300 PFT and know sword manual, if you just don't get electronics you will be a janitor until you can lat more. Contrary, nobody will mind if you are on BCP with an NJP under your belt if you can run gear like a maniac...

On the down side, you will spend at least 20% of your contract just in MOS school, then at least 3-6 months in the fleet until you can become competent.
    Are you a 5900? I'm still in school at 29 Palms and still not quite sure what it is I am doing.

Thread Information