Promotion Question, Need Help!
Create Post

Promotion Question, Need Help!

Gentlemen,

I reenlisted into the Marine Corps about 9 days ago for 4 more years. I know that I rate the 60 bonus points towards promotion (I'm now a Cpl), and to my knowledge those points are submitted instantly and a recomposite score has to be done. This month the cutting score came out at 1782, and with my 60 bonus points I have an 1800 so I automatically assumed that I would pick up Sgt. Admin called me today and told me that I will not pick up because it is too far into the quarter and they will not let the 60 point be submitted. I checked MARADMIN 425/08 out and it states that MCTFS action is not made after the initial composite score for the quarter is made, however it states that in that case the missing data element must be reporting utilizing TTC 287 (Recompute Composite Score). Does anyone know the answer to this, should I be picking up Sgt on the first? I don't want to make an @$$ out of myself. Sorry if it's difficult to read, I'm trying to hurry before work. Thanks!

Credits
    Savings
    If Admin told you no,I would have to assume they did the research.
    Perhaps further questions are in order.
    If not now when ? Do these points carry over to next reporting period ?
    Probably more questions--------

Roger that SSgt,

I guess the biggest issue is that I'm receiving mixed responses. My career planner is telling me that I rated the points the day I reenlisted because they are "bonus points" and are an incentive to that Marine. I'm just a little fumed over it because I could have reenlisted in September but I had scheduled leave and admin told me not to worry that the points would go through even in the middle of the quarter and now they are completely contradicting that statement. Sorry, enough of my whining I'm still glad that I could reenlist into the Marine Corps and I do not regret the decision I made at all. If anyone is knowledgeable on this subject please respond.

Thanks in advance.

Bring this up to your SNCO and let him/her go fight the battle at admin. Thats what they get paid to do.

and refer them to your CRS. They should be the ones who know of the MarAdmin/MCO that supports their claim. And don't worry, if you do end up rating the points for this month you can do a remedial promotion package and get back pay and everything.

Thanks gentlemen, sound advice there and I will gladly take that up with my SNCO.

Ok so I spoke with a few of my SNCO's and admin again and they still don't have a clear answer for me. The response I got from admin was "I spoke with a buddy of mine back East and he says he doesn't think you rate the points yet." The main problem is I'm stationed at a very small command on a Company level (about 40 Marines total) on an Air Force Base and we don't have a CRS locally just a Career Planner that just recently got assigned that billet. The other SNCO's within my command don't seem to know the real answer to the question, I just want someone to show me in writing that they don't hit until the following quarter.

MARADMIN 425/08 states:

1. THE 60 BONUS POINTS REENLISTMENT INCENTIVE
    ESTABLISHED BY REF B REMAINS IN EFFECT. ALL ACTIVE DUTY FIRST TERM
    MARINES THAT REENLIST FOR 48 MONTHS ARE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE 60
    REENLISTMENT BONUS POINTS FOR THEIR COMPOSITE SCORE. THIS POLICY IS
    APPLICABLE TO ALL FY08 AND SUBSEQUENT FY FIRST TERM MARINES.
    2. ADMINISTRATIVE INSTRUCTIONS:
    A. UNIT DIARY ENTRIES REPORTING REENLISTMENT BONUS POINTS WILL
    UTILIZE TTC 192 000 CMD REC BON PTS (060 POINTS). THIS ENTRY
    PROCEDURE WILL BE REQUIRED UNTIL NECESSARY MCTFS SOFTWARE UPDATES
    ARE COMPLETED. THE COMBINED TOTAL OF COMMAND RECRUITING BONUS
    POINTS AND REENLISTMENT BONUS POINTS CAN NOT EXCEED 160 POINTS.
    B. REMEDIAL PROMOTION CONSIDERATION WILL ONLY BE GIVEN IN THE
    FOLLOWING SITUATION:
    (1) THROUGH ADMINISTRATIVE ERROR, MCTFS ENTRY IS NOT MADE
    FOR AN ACTION THAT IS PRIOR TO THE MCTFS CUTOFF DATES FOR COMPOSITE
    SCORE CALCULATION FOR THE RESPECTIVE PROMOTION QUARTER. IN THIS
    CASE, THE MISSING DATA ELEMENT MUST BE REPORTED UTILIZING TTC 287
    (RECOMPUTE COMPOSITE SCORE).
    (2) IF THE RECOMPUTED COMPOSITE SCORE MEETS OR EXCEEDS THE
    CUTTING SCORE ANNOUNCED, REMEDIAL PROMOTION CONSIDERATION SHOULD BE
    REQUESTED PER PAR 2600 OF THE REF.
    3. THIS MARADMIN IS NOT APPLICABLE TO THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE.
    4. RELEASE AUTHORIZED BY MR. M. F. APPLEGATE, DIRECTOR, MANPOWER
    PLANS AND POLICY DIVISION, M&RA.//

and here is the MISSA
    REF A IS MCO 1400.32D, MARINE CORPS PROMOTION MANUAL, VOLUME II, ENLISTED PROMOTIONS (ENLPROMMAN).
    REF B IS MARADMIN 529/07 ESTABLISHING 60 REENLISTMENT BONUS POINTS FOR FY08//

1. THE 60 BONUS POINTS REENLISTMENT INCENTIVE WAS ESTABLISHED BY REF B. MCTFS WAS MODIFIED BY SOFTWARE RELEASE 2-08 TO AUTOMATICALLY AWARD 60 BONUS POINTS ALONG WITH THE REENLISTMENT. UNITS SHOULD NO LONGER BE AWARDING REENLISTMENT BONUS POINTS UTILIZING TTC 192 000 CMD REC BON PTS (060 POINTS) AS THIS ERRONEOUSLY AWARDS AN ADDITIONAL 60 BONUS POINTS. IPACS STILL RUNNING THESE 60 BONUS POINTS MUST IMMEDIATELY IDENTIFY THOSE MARINES ERRONEOUSLY AWARDED 60 BONUS POINTS AND TAKE THE FOLLOWING CORRECTIVE ACTION:
    (A) RUN "WILL NOT PROMOTE" ON MARINES WHO HAVE A SELECT GRADE.
    (B) IN ALL CASES OF MARINES ERRONEOUSLY AWARDED THESE 60 BONUS POINTS UTILIZING TTC 192 000, CORRECT THE COMPOSITE SCORE BY RUNNING TTC 192 000 AS "000".
    (C) RECOMPUTE COMPOSITE SCORE VIA TTC 287 002 ENSURING CRB FIELD IS LISTED AS "000".

2. IF THE RECOMPUTED COMPOSITE SCORE MEETS OR EXCEEDS THE CUTTING SCORE ANNOUNCED, REMEDIAL PROMOTION CONSIDERATION SHOULD BE REQUESTED PER PAR 2600 OF REF (A).

I think I'm just having trouble reading this, but I got together with a few other NCO's and they all think that they should automatically be entered and a recomposite score should be submitted. If anyone could shed some light here that would be great, if not I plan on calling the Manpower Personnel Management on Monday.

Semper Fi!

So I am assuming that the points are submitted the same way that the Recruiters Assistance points are, which to my knowledge those points are submitted as soon as the poolee "DEPS" in, and not when the next quarter hits. If I am wrong then I have learned something new and will be able to pass it along for the future. Thanks Marines!

well there is the part that says for the MCTFS cutoff date, when referencing the remedial package.

(1) THROUGH ADMINISTRATIVE ERROR, MCTFS ENTRY IS NOT MADE
    FOR AN ACTION THAT IS PRIOR TO THE MCTFS CUTOFF DATES FOR COMPOSITE
    SCORE CALCULATION FOR THE RESPECTIVE PROMOTION QUARTER

which implies that you still need to have the points prior to the cutt off. When was the composite score cut off in relation to when you reenlisted?

If you reenlisted prior to the composite score cutoff then per the maradmin you rate a recompute and a remedial promotion. If it was after (the day of reenlistment) then you have to wait until next quarter.

Rgr, and that's what the new Career Planner referred to as well. Later on though, someone told me that what I'm wanting is a recomputed composite score and not a remedial promotion, which are two completely different things (In this situation at least) The cutoff was Aug 20th and I didn't reenlist until October 16th, I guess what confuses me is some of the select words in these publications such as "AUTOMATICALLY AWARD 60 BONUS POINTS" and what not, and the fact that before I signed the papers everyone that was involved with my reenlistment assured that I would get those points the day of my re-up. Anyways I appreciate your input SSgt, and it does seem that I won't be getting those points until January and I will probably already be a Sgt by then so they wont matter

yeah, the "automatically award..." means that admin doesn't have to submit any paperwork.

as far as getting it immediately day of kind of thing it means that so long as it's before the cut off you're good.

Rgr, thanks for clearing that up for me SSgt. Good thing I didn't go into the shop and make an idiot of myself!

Cpl,

I have seen many Marines recently reenlist and they all have had to wait untill the scores recalcuate the get their 60 points. I don't have any references, however I just want you to know that I have seen it work this way on my side of the house.,

Sgt, I have been looking for a Marine that has actually experienced this, appreciate the input!

Thread Information