I can't join the Marines, is there something else I can do?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

I can't join the Marines, is there something else I can do?

Hello Marines,
    My name is Wes, I am eight-teen years old. I am a junior in a Technical High School enrolled in the Welding and Metal Fabrication shop. It has always been a dream of mine to become a Marine, however that will not happen. When I was thirteen I was diagnosed with crohn's disease. Back in 2005 I had six inches of my intestines removed that had been infected by the crohns. That is the short version.

About a month ago I decided to educated myself and look into the Marine Corps...then I looked at the medical disqualifications. I did my research and I found that there was no way around it. There were a few posts that said you could get a wavier but I found only two out of the many that I read saying "No". Along with those two there was no explanation other than, "Yeah I got in." I couldn't understand how and I still don't. To say the least... It was not a good feeling. It took me a long while to accept it.

Since I can not become a Marine is there something I can do to support you? Is there some way to show my support? I tried to do the research and I came up with a lot of donation sites, but I'm unsure. I will never be able to earn the Title of a United States Marine, but I want to do the next best thing. What can I do?

Thank you Marines, for everything.
    -Wes

First off, I would check with a recruiter. Even though it does not sound good for you, let them disqualify you, don't disqualify yourself. If you can't get in, it is not the end of the world. Go out and do something good with you life and make yourself happy. Good luck.

Sorry about your luck, but as said see the recruiter near you. Best of luck to you and the future.

If you still want the Military after that, you could try the Army. If I'm not mistaken, the Navy and MC have the same waiver giving people guys....and I doubt the AF would let you in if we didn't. Either way though, talk to a recruiter. I was supposed to get a hearing waiver, and didn't. Then I wasn't supposed to get a hearing waiver, and did. Honestly, I think it was the time of the year, and they were really trying to make the quota, but who knows.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It won't hurt to actually go and talk to a recruiter. Better knowing for sure now than wondering later if you had at least a slight chance to get in. Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    I talked to a Army recruiter that comes to our school, he came to my house and explained it to him. Well actually my mom did, she understands this a bit better, and in more detail then I do. I wasn't really trying to get into the Army, but that I could have it as a option on my plate when I get out of high school. He's a really nice guy but I just accepted his decision I didn't ask him if there was something I could do to get into the Army. I also came to the conclusion that if I can't get into the Army then I wouldn't get into the Marine Corps. The two biggest problems that I read about were kinda obvious, if your in the field and your crohn's decides to flare up then that would be a problem. The second is that I'm on medication.
    But you Marines are right its better to go talk to the recruiter than make my own decisions. I'll have to get down there.
    Thank you so much Marines.

Wes,

One thing you might consider is looking up a local Marine Corps League Detachment and ask them if you might be able to attend a meeting or two. If you like being around Marines and are interested in becoming a member, you can request to become an "Associate Member" of the Marine Corps League. If you would like to do this and need assistance. let me know and I'll give you a hand.

Best of luck to you!

Thumbs up

Sorry bout your luck kid, that sucks for you. You wanna serve, but you have a medical condition that prevents you from doing that. I understand your feelings, take the Master Sergeant up on the Marine Corps League option. The Marine Corps League is good to go. I'm actually in the process of signing up as a Member at Large. Also have you looked into the Civil Air Patrol, or the Coast Guard Auxillary. They are volunteer organizations of the USAF, and USCG. You get to wear a uniform, and do things for the community, there is no contract, or commitment, its all volunteer. Hope the best for you kid, Semper Fi.

You can always contact the USO and see where you can volunteer as well.

Navy Corpsman. Talk to a Navy recruiter about being a Corpsman for the Marines.

Duh

Quote Originally Posted by itzs4m View Post
    Navy Corpsman. Talk to a Navy recruiter about being a Corpsman for the Marines.
    Dude uh Navy Corpsman training is pretty hardcore, if he can't get into the Marine Corps. I highly doubt he can be a Corpsman, he had part of his intestines removed. Why do people always tell kids that, if you can't be a Marine, be a Navy Corpsman for the Marines. They go through an Indoc, and training ran by Marines Instructors. I know I was stationed next door to them at one point, and from the looks of it, it was no cake walk. Semper!!

Echo, some should take the time and read the entire thread before making a post, then they'd know what's up and not give the wrong advice.

Credits
    Savings
    To firedog974:
    Thank you Marine, I will go talk to the recruiter. Your right, I would rather have gone to the recruiter and been disqualified than just saying I cant.

To usmcmsf:
    Thank you Marine!

To MD8724:
    Thank you Marine, i'll be heading down to the recruiting office as soon as I can. Once again, thank you for the advice Marine.

To jungholee90:
    You are right, I would rather know than wonder "what if". Thank you for the advice Marine!

To yanacek:
    This information has just made my week! Thank you so much Marine, I'm going to research this more but this sounds incredibly interesting. I will be sending you a message as soon as I get more information, thank you so much Marine!

To echo3oscar1833:
    I had no idea those existed. Sounds interesting that's for sure! Thank you Marine, ill be doing more research into it!

To Petz:
    Thank you Marine, ill be looking into that too. Me and my Father had gone to a USO event once down in Hartford, there is a Armory around there and we were packing boxes for the troops. This was a long time ago and I cant believe I had forgotten about the USO. Thank you again Marine, ill be looking into that closely too.

Would like to say once again, Thank you Marines for the support and advice!
    THANK YOU MARINES!
    -
    Wes

If you cannot qualify for service in any branch of the military, and still want to serve your country, you might want to consider trying the Department of Homeland Security. Jobs like protecting our airports, maritime ports and borders from Islamic terrorists, and those who smuggle weapons, drugs and deal in the traffic of human souls for the sex trade are important and necessary. Also, if you are skilled in computer security, your skills are needed. If you speak a foreign language, like Arabic, Farsi or Urdu (or are willing to learn one of these critical languages), you can do well in the Department of State, or in the DHS I&A (Intelligence & Analysis) section.

There are a lot of possibilities out there, for those who want to serve.

When one door closes, another door closes, another door opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes H View Post
    Hello Marines,
    My name is Wes, I am eight-teen years old. I am a junior in a Technical High School enrolled in the Welding and Metal Fabrication shop. It has always been a dream of mine to become a Marine, however that will not happen. When I was thirteen I was diagnosed with crohn's disease. Back in 2005 I had six inches of my intestines removed that had been infected by the crohns. That is the short version.
    Where I was recruited from they needed to waive a ton of people for previously having that disease. If it's common where you live then you have a chance of becoming a Marine.

Thread Information