Final Ist Scores Vs. Final Pft Score
Create Post

Final Ist Scores Vs. Final Pft Score

Marines,
    I would like to see how much you gained from your final IST score before you shipped to boot to your final PFT in boot. The running in different distances but post anyways. Thanks.

And this has to do with wanting to become a Marine how....?

To see the opportunity for physical advancement throughout the Marine Corps Recruit Training. Ex: I can run 1.5 miles in 9:40. I would like to see someone out there post that they ran their IST in 9:40 but did their final PFT run in 18:00. To prove and see the real facts as to how hard they push you at boot camp.

Everyone is different and you can't compare yourself to someone else. The opportunity for physical advancement during boot camp is up to each individual as to how hard they can push themselves. And believe me, your Drill Instructors push you very hard!

I understand everyone is different. I was getting living proof by posting this thread. Is this thread not were I can ask questions to Marines or is it. Whether you think the question is unnecessary, is it hurting anybody to ask? Let Marine wannabes be just that and ask questions. My brother is a Marine but sometimes I like to hear it from others too.

Easy with your tone there young man.
    The Ask A Marine forum is to allow those who are aspiring to join the Marine Corps the chance to ask questions regarding this career choice. I never said you couldn't ask your question or that the question was unnecessary. I just asked what it had to do with wanting to be a Marine.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    have you ever ran a PFT?....I really don't see the point in comparing the two especially when it comes the run portion.

I can all out sprint the 1.5m of an IST and come in at just under 9 minutes, the PFT is 3 miles (2x longer) and I have to cut my pace down quite a bit. My last PFT run time was 19:24

and watch your tone, I sense a bit of attitude in your last post

I ran the IST in 13:00. I ran my final PFT in 20:30. After running 5-6miles 3-4 days a week in MP school, my final PFT there I ran 20:59. Yea, you will improve in boot camp, don't worry about it. Do the best you can and don't compare yourself to others. You'll learn in boot that it doesn't matter. You'll help the recruit next to you, and he'll help you.

Never ran a IST before boot, but the one we did on arrival I think I came in in about 13 or 14 minutes ? I don't even know the standards, but I came in before the failing cutoff. My final PFT run time was like just over 20 minutes I think. Pretty good improvment I guess. Now, the IST at PI was probably the first time I really ran in over a year, so it would be easier for me to make improvments. TO be honest, if you are already really pushing yourself right now, and have been running for a good while, you may not see the sub 18 minute time just from bootcamp. I really only remember 4-5 long runs (Im talking 3 miles, not longer) the whole time there, including the PFTs. Basically, if you can already run really well, and are already pretty fit, you probably won't gain too much, physically, from bootcamp, the reason being that you can't just go off and work on what you want to work on. You could improve, or get worse, no matter how hard you try. Once you get to MOS school, where you actually have time off, you can start running on your own to get sub 18 though.

Thread Information