Chow Halls
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chow Halls

Exclamation Chow Halls

So this is my first duty station and to be honest I hae been to the Chow Hall a few times. Pizza, Greesy Hamburgers, Canned Fruits, Packaged Foods, White Rice, Ice Cream, Fatning Desserts are all part of a nutritious meal? The Marine Corps will boot you if you are overweight but they put all these foods in your platter? I go in the morning and I see a huge line waiting for omelets in which the cook splatters mass amounts of greese on the grill. I am a very athletic and train very hard but with what I get payed I spend more than half of my paycheck on food at the commissary (tuna, brown rice, raspberry sorbet (for after workouts), water, supplements, Wheat bread, chicken, cereal, milk, granola bars and healthy snacks. Is there any way to get out of having a meal card for nasty food and get into COMRATS? I save money and spend alot of money on food so I'm only left with very little for good times. I know alot of healthy foods and meals that are amazing to the taste buds so why does it have to be this way? Why be a hypocrit and boot people out for weight when you are serving them the fat in their bodies?

That's why you have to work your azz off to keep the weight off, Semper FI.

Chow has been a point of disagreement since Christ was a Corporal. Some like it some don't. Personnaly I loved it, nothing better than S.O.S. in the morning. Don't take this as an insult but if you feel that serious about the food served to our Marine Corps change your MOS to 3371 and go from there. Semper Fi!

COMRATS is a ripoff (atleast when i was in). The amount you get paid for COMRATS is not even enough to eat at the chow hall everyday. The other aspect is if you live in the barracks, you are kindof restricted as to what you can make in the rooms. Granted people have hot plates and george foremans, but still. You are better off just being selective as to what you eat. I remember during grey belt training, one of the random pieces of knowledge thrown out was that an average Marine needs 3,000 calories a day compared to the normal civilian 2,000 diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac3043 View Post
    Personnaly I loved it, nothing better than S.O.S. in the morning.
    Amen Brother! -- "The Smell of Sos in the Morning reminds Me of victory!"

Dude you got a chow hall with pizza AND ice cream? sweet!!!!

I was working a shoeing account at the federal penitentiary in Sheridan, Oregon. There was 3 convicts doing chores around the barn when i drove to town for lunch. I came back with a pizza hut large pepperoni and asked if they liked pizza?

You ****ing kiddin me, one said; i haven't had pizza in 8 years. They attacked what was left of it like dysfunctional wolves without a pecking order.

--->Dave

I do agree, when I treat myself that one time a week I will gorge on the liquids of fat and that of sugars. However, many Marines who become broke during the weekend are forced to eat at a Chow Hall that only produces what I gorge on once a week. All in all my own beliefs are that no matter what a Marine is expected to look a certain way under the order so the food served must meet those standards.

Ok i agree with the unhealthy part. It is true that the chow hall has plenty of unhealthy foods. But it also has its healty choices. Its all in the person, we cant blame the chow hall for fat marines. Its all how the marine chooses to eat and how often they pt. I go to the chow hall often but i do make the smarter choices. Salad bar is full of crisp veggies and usually has eggs or tuna for protein. And the deserts arnt bad if consumed in moderation. When it comes to the main courses in the chow hall i would say the most of them are unhealthy unless it be just plain meat. Usually things are deep fried or cooked in enough greace to fill a swimming pool.

For some reason, I always found the best chow halls to be at recruit training sites or tank battalions....

The recruits because they needed the good nutritious food...The tankers because they were just so darn miserable & ornery after being cooped up in those tin cans in the heat all day, they fed them good grub just to keep them from starting a brawl in the chow hall!

Air stations are where the good chow hall is. I went to Cherry Point once, it was great.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Remember the 3 food groups? Sugar, Salt, Fat. Without at least one of those, it's not fit to eat.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Free food always did taste good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MontezumaCpl View Post
    Amen Brother! -- "The Smell of Sos in the Morning reminds Me of victory!"

Ditto..... on the SOS luv it, 7 days a week

Pizza AND ice cream???? Hell when I was in division we were lucky to have bread & milk. C Rations was better than half of the crap in the mess hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Skosh59 View Post
    Ditto..... on the SOS luv it, 7 days a week

Pizza AND ice cream???? Hell when I was in division we were lucky to have bread & milk. C Rations was better than half of the crap in the mess hall.
    At KBay

Weekday mornings there was two sides to the chow hall, a fast food type area, I always got 2 sausage, egg, and cheese on english muffins. Then they had the trad breakfast side. Breakfast on the weekend was custom made omelets.

Lunch they had a deli side, regular lunch style(chilimac and grilled cheese ftw), and then the fast food side.

Dinner I have no clue I never went there for dinner. But if it was like breakfast and lunch it was good.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Not one Fat Body in Plt.307

The Chow Hall at 3rd.Bn."P.I." was tha' best Duck Soup everyday,Duck In tha' Front Hatch Then Duck out tha' Rear Hatch all within 8 Min's

Thread Information